Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wahoo! Party! My Place! Book Carnival!

***This is a sticky post and will remain at the top of my blog until after the drawing on the 30th. please scroll down for newer posts.***

***Also updated to add...for some reason, I'm not able to put the original date of 6/22 on this carnival. That has been confusing to some who have entered just recently. I apologize. Really, your end date is up to you. Have fun, and thanks for participating!***



Howdy! My kids are both f.i.n.a.l.l.y. out of school for the summer, and I have one summer b'day party finished, so that means it's time for: The Sizzin' Summer Book Giveaway Carnival! Once again, I must give huge praises to Amber for her major techy prowess. You see, I'm lucky to be able to boot up a computer, but I digress...Anyhoo, here are the rules. The biggest rule is to have fun. You're all welcome to steal this jazzy button for your blogs, but you don't have to. Let me know if you're "in" and I'll post you in my side bar so we can visit each other. Ooops, I digressed again, didn't I?


  1. Choose a gently loved book from your collection which you really liked. I know...it's hard to part with them, because they become like children. :) But, the idea is that you've read it and have a little review/summary about your book and why you want to give it away.

  2. Decide whether you will open your giveaway to US readers only or to those in Canada and beyond...It wouldn't be fair to be excited for a giveaway and then find out that the sender can't afford postage. Better to be up front.

  3. Post a picture of your book(s) and when you will be drawing your winner. Suggested end date: Monday, June 30. No later than noon Pacific Time.

  4. Have fun with this. If you want to do more than one drawing/more than one book that's a-okay. What I'm trying to do is get us all one new read this summer. However, the more, the merrier--just be conscious of shipping (though media mail is great).
I think that's it! If I make it too complicated, I won't remember the rules and follow my own directions--and that would be bad. :)


Without further ado, this is my selection:


I received this from a book giveaway from my dear bloggy friend, Barbtha, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The cover likens it to Steel Magnolias, only in Manhattan, and I do agree. Strong women and strong friendships are evident from page 1. There are no cookie cutter characters, either. All of them are flawed and marvelous in their own way. I know--many of you have read this gem, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat.

Simply comment on this post and make sure I can get ahold of you, and I'll enter you in my drawing. I'll draw and post my winner's name by noon on June 30th. Good luck!

And...for the low, low price of 19.99...I have a BONUS book!


This little treat is a fast read from one of my favorite "beachy" authors, Dorothea Benton Frank. She mixes her love of the Low Country into her stories of relationships between good friends, family members, and the love lives of her characters. Though this isn't Christian fiction, it's pretty clean, and it's just a great story. You don't have to think much; you can simply enjoy. Great transcontinental flight book. :)

My drawing is open to anyone--U.S. or not.

60 comments:

Denise said...

I am in sweetie, will post about it on my blog today or tomorrow.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm in too. I will post mine next week!

Denise said...

My post is up sweetie.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun idea.... I will dig in my books tomorrow and see what I have.
Great Idea
http://dailywalkswithmyfriends.blogspot.com

ccgough@cox.net
My Internet Shopping Mall is located at
http://seniorbloggerinternetshoppingmall.com

Beth said...

Wow--I just saw this book the other day at Border's and thought "that's the next book I need to buy." But, now, I hope I win it!
Found your blog through Life at 7000 Feet. . .

Alessandra said...

Please enter me in your giveaway. Thank you for this chance!

Deidre said...

I love this idea. I gave away some 'gently used' books a few weeks ago, but I have more!

So, count me in. Oh, and I have been meaning to read 'Friday Night Knitting Club'.

Thanks!

Jenn said...

I am going to post mine this afternoon. :o)

Deidre said...

Okay, my post is up now, Gretchen. Thanks for hosting.

Kelly said...

Oh, I am totally in! I have been cleaning out the bookshelves, and wanting a way to share books with friends- this will work out just fine:-)

As soon as I figure the whole thing out I'll put up my post~ thanks for hosting this.

care-in said...

How fun! I have been stuck on Karen Kingsbury so I need to branch out!

Jenn said...

My post is up Gretchen! Thanks for hosting. :o)

care-in said...

Thanks for the tip Gretchen. I have a book I just started that I plan to giveaway when I'm done. I don't think I'll be done by Monday though.

Jackie said...

Great idea! Thanks!

Bunny B said...

This sounds like a great read! Thank you for the chance!

bunnybox9 at gmail . com

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Please enter me int the drawing. I'll try to post later today about a book to giveaway.

Thanks for hosting this!

Anonymous said...

"I'm a 39 y.o. striving to live as a fruit of the Spirit, rather than as a religious nut"

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb said...

I finally got my post done, Gretchen. I'm giving away a great book!

Susanne said...

What a great idea. I came over from A Chelsea Morning (Barb). I'm going to go look for a book now.

Please enter me in your draw!

Christy Lee said...

I'm so excited to participate! Please enter me in your drawing!

Stacey said...

I, too, came over from Barb's place.

I am very stoked to join in on the fun and I will add a giveaway to my blog by tomorrow.

Please enter me in your's!!

Stacey @ Kisses from the Father

Anonymous said...

Another one over from Barb's place!

I just posted the book I'm going to give away - THE BOOK OF BRIGHT IDEAS. This is such a great idea.

I have the book that you're giving away, so don't enter me in the drawing.

Stephanie Reed said...

I'd like to post a new book tomorrow. I can't figure out how to copy the code for the button, though. It's so lovely that I'd really like to put it up. Help!

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I hope I am not too late. I just got my post up. I would also like to be included in your drawing! Thanks.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Okay, hope I'm not too late, but I just put up my post.

Rmomof3 said...

Please add me to the drawing! Thanks!
Renee

Unknown said...

I heard about your book carnival from Lynne,at the Little Corner of the World. What a fun idea! I'll have to see what I've got so I can give some books away, too.
I've read the Knitting Club, and loved it, no need to enter me in that drawing. I also enjoy Dorothea Benton Frank, but have not read this particular book, so please add me to that drawing!

Kelli said...

Wow, I would love to win the Dorthea Frank book! I have read the Friday Night Knitting club, but I would like to win the other and I promise to do a book from my own stash to give away:)

Anonymous said...

Please enter me!

Andrea Frazer said...

Hey, can I link you from my Good Housekeeping blog? They want me to post 10 sites I like to read. It could be some good exposure for you. Any particular posts you want me to highlite to get you noticed more? I'm nice that way, huh? Let me know via email:BabyCenterAndrea@Yahoo.com

Or comment at my Zoloft Site.

If you don't want to be linked, that's fine, too.

His Girl said...

Enter me, amiga, please.

also: I'm in!
http://hisgirlsblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/avadij-bloggy-booky-carnival.html

Girl Raised in the South said...

Can I get in for the second one. I've read the first, but Barb's told me the author of the second is one of her favorites. So please toss my name in the cyber-hat. And I'll try to do this at my own blog, maybe tomorrow?

Stacey Baker said...

Hey there! Is it possible for you to add a link to my blog giveaway in your sidebar?

Thanks!

stacey @ www.kissesfromthefather.blogspot.com

Steph said...

Count me in!
Found your blog through Lynne @ Lynnes' Little Corner of the World!

Susan said...

I am just dying for a good book here! Thanks for opening this to the internationals! Count me in.

Unknown said...

Gretchen,
Hi...found out about your giveaway via Jessie and would love to be counted in!
Thanks for the invite!
daune, pronounced Dawn!
I'm posting now.
God bless...and I really enjoy your daily Scriptures...

care-in said...

Okay, I'm in. I'll have my book posted in the morning.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Hey Gretchen, I got my post up with my book giveaway and directed everyone back here to see all the other books that are being offered. What a fun idea!

Caroline said...

Hi there,

Daune gave me your link and what a great idea this. I will post a book later and I am happy to send to USA. I live in England.

Stephanie Reed said...

This is Stef and my blog is Clear Shining After Rain. You can visit my blog here:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Stef/552036/

I've posted an interview with an author friend and she will be giving away a new book--hope that's okay. STop by and meet her!

Robin in New Jersey said...

Count me in! This is so much fun.

Susanne said...

I've got mine up!

Tammy said...

This is a great idea! Just so I understand...everyone who wants a chance at winning a book needs to offer one too, right?

I'm visiting from Susanne's at Living to the Tell the story...not sure I've ever been here before but I completely enjoying my visit!

Blessings,
~Tammy

Lalycairn said...

Oh I have read a bunch of stuff just recently about this book, and I would love to read it.

Lalycairn at gmail.com

traveler said...

Thanks for this lovely party. Your book selection is great.

Angie said...

There is nothing like a good book on a rainy day which we seem to get a lot of these days :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Please count me in. Your book sounds like a fun summer read. I'll be joining in too, although it seems I'm rather late. I landed here by happenstance!

Adventures of Laura said...

What a great idea! My post is up - feel free to add me to your sidebar. Thanks for such a fun giveaway!

Judith said...

I would love the knitting club book.
Will email you my email address.

Thanks, and God Bless,
Flight Song.

Cyndi said...

Ooo.. I have been wanting that book for a while! Count me in, please!

Jamie said...

Count me in! Just found your blog today...I'm off to read more.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

WOw the book looks awesome and I am an avid reader!

Christi S said...

ooh those look really good! thanks for sharing! Wish I had found this earlier and I would have joined in!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I now have my selection posted, too.

Mocha with Linda said...

That sounds like a great book. I'd love to win.

And I love the idea of the carnival. But it's too short - less than 2 days? Or did you mean July 30?

marychristina said...

I'd love to read these!

Susie Q said...

This is amazing! i want to do this but guess I may be too late! Perhaps I can do it later and credit you with this fantastic idea!

I have so many books that, although loved, could be some that I would love to pass on to others so they too can love them.

This is just a lovely idea...leave it to one as special as you to come up with this idea dear Gretchen!

Love,
Sue

Caroline said...

I have posted my book now.

Thank you

carla's gateway said...

okay... I'm in on the day of the "drawing"... maybe next year huh? what a great idea!!!! I hopped over from MY Shiloh... and found your sweet blog life! It's good to see God at work all over the US... and world! I'll be back to see how your drawing went and just how this worked out! :o

Susan said...

I would love to win - thanks for offering and hosting!