Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Habakkuk 3:18-19 (NIV)

yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.

Well, who couldn't use feet like a deer? (rimshot, please...)

I don't know about you, but sometimes, other than the "big" books, like Genesis, Psalms, Proverbs, and Isaiah, I tend to neglect the Old Testament. I probably do this for a couple of reasons. First, I love the readability of getting "letters" from God through Paul. Second, because of the New Covenant, I focus on Jesus and His story. Yet, as I peruse the Old Testament in quiet time or in my Bible studies at church, it's so clear that Jesus is on every page. Instead of epistles, we have prophesies. Maybe you've had your lightbulb moment over that. But I hadn't until quite recently. Dare I say, I've even thought the Old Testament...(ahem)...boring in places. However, since it is bound together with the "rest of the story" (thank you Paul Harvey), and we are told that every word from God is important, I thought I'd step out and actually start reading it.

The New Testament is still my favorite--I give it an 86--good beat, something to dance to--OH, I kid! About the dancing. It is my favorite. But, just like I have favorite parts of myself, my family, and my life, in order to live fully, I must embrace it all.

As always, thank you for participating, either by reading or by posting your own verse(s). I don't always get to every blog each day, but I'm trying to visit as often as I can, and I'm learning so much from you all. Mwah!


12 comments:

Suzanne said...

When I finally got myself into a deep study of the Old Testament, I was really shocked at how much I loved it. I learned SO much about the current church from its past. Plus, I especially identified with David and Job in a way that surprised me.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Yet, another great verse. Thanks again for doing this!

Denise said...

I love this sweetie. My verse of the day is posted.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

thanks for your honesty
Im there with you on reading the old testiment
forgive us Lord

Jen

Becky said...

Oh,this verse holds a special place in my heart, as it was one that my son had memorized in Bible Study. A few months or so later, right about the time I was beginning to wonder if anything was 'sticking', and I was concerned for where he stood spiritually speaking, we went on a school field trip to the zoo. While there, we were standing at a big horn sheep exhibit, marveling how those big critters were so nimble and able to crawl to the top of that exhibit. Jericho suddenly pipes up, "It reminds me of that verse..." and he recited it. Which I was then able to use as a good teaching opportunity with him and his little friend whom we were chapheroning at the zoo.

My heart was so blessed that day, seeing that the Lord was at work in his little heart!

Julie said...

Ah, another of my favorite verses.....

Thanks for sharing this one.... it is also the title of one of my all time favorite books, "Hind's Feet on High Places."

I am enjoying stopping by your blog each day dear friend....

Hugs!
Julie

Unknown said...

Oh MAN, I heart the OT!!! This has inspired my post o' the day today!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

It's hard for me to read the OT, but when I do, I am reminded that Jesus is woven throughout the text...a promise of what's to come. So rich!

I listened to a Beth Moore teaching cd on these verses from Habakkuk a couple of months ago. She had thousands of women memorize them (and a few more that followed) and it blessed my socks off to hear them recite them together!

Jenn said...

I too "get" the NT more than the OT. But I just ordered a commentary that I hope will help me understand the OT more.

Great post - love your humor. :o)

His Girl said...

I have a deep love for the OT, but it did not come easily. I've been studying it for so long it's gonna be a celebration when I hit matthew! maybe I'll even have a partay!!!

love this challenge. pure goodness.

Sing4joy said...

A good reminder to take the WHOLE.

Jenster said...

I've always loved the stories of the Old Testament. And when I started learning the role history played in the OT and how it related to the NT I totally dug on it! (That's the nerd in me trying to be cool.)

Even so, it's probably only been in the last 6 or 7 years that I've realized just how important the OT is and how often Jesus is mentioned. Maybe not by name, but he's in there!