Thursday, January 29, 2009

Idle Chatter

So...

* Tomorrow, I "get" to go to ski school with Drama Girl. It's an easy day for me, in that I just...well...sit. In the lodge. From 10:30 - 3:30. The key is good packing skillz. I need to make sure I have a book or 2, some knitting, and perhaps a pen and paper. My only complaint is that it's a l-o-n-g day. We leave at 6:30 and get home close to 7. Can you say, "Little Caesar's Pizza for dinner."? I thought you could. At $5.00/pizza, it's cheaper than the better frozen kinds, and you know...after 12 hours either waiting in a lodge or riding down a mountain with a busload of kids, I'm not cooking. I'm drinking a glass of wine with a slice or 7 of pizza. It's been an expense, but I'm glad she's gotten the opportunity to learn to ski.

* Speaking of opportunity...I saw former Sec'y State Condoleeza Rice today on The View. Can I just say that regardless of her politics one way or another, I am a huge fan! Why? Well, she just seems like "good, responsible people". Plus, she totally tipped her hat to her parents for seeing racism as the racist's problem, and thus encouraging her to try everything, try hard, and follow her passions. I know she's had some major political and teaching roles, but the girl is well rounded! Did you see her playing piano at Buckingham Palace? Too cool.

* Time for mommy bragging: Drama Girl received a lead role in her upcoming show, and David earned straight As for his first semester at his new school. I'm so happy for both these kids, and for both of them, these accomplishments were a long time coming.

* Grey's Anatomy is on tonight. And that makes me happy. But...it's getting a little tooooooo over the top these days. I don't want them to succumb to "jumping the shark" (ala Fonzie in Happy Days) just yet.

* I'm going to the gym in about 5 minutes. And that makes me not so happy. Gotta pay the piper somehow, I guess. Thank the Lord for the inventer of the iPod.

* We had a really neat/sad thing happen last night at my church. First, the sad: One of my friends is receiving a little hand up during these hard times, for her job isn't always meeting her medical bills, etc. Well...as she went to get her groc. cards/gas card, the envelope was ripped open and the cards gone. Stolen. She told me this, and even though I know it was a bit embarrassing, she gave me permission to talk openly about it in our ministry group and to pray. Right as we were leaving, probably 5 people came over with checkbook in hand--one of whom's spouse had recently lost a job. These are h.a.r.d. times. But folks were led by His promise that He will provide. And they gave.

* Okay...gotta go put the iron cupped exercise bra on and go do penance on the elliptical. Phooey on me for wanting to see my grandkids and perhaps be a little svelter, too. ;)

Have a wonderful weekend!
Photobucket

9 comments:

Denise said...

I loved this post. Congrats to your dear children, woo hoo.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Have fun tomorrow! Enjoy some pizza for me too.

I love your title. I'm going to have to steal that one sometime.

Congrats to both your kiddos...very awesome.

Julie said...

I loved your idle chatter.

You are one amazing woman!!!

Love & Hugs!

Brandy said...

Girl, you crackin me up with the iron cupped bra part. Ba ha ha ha!! Oh, and Amen on the ipod part.

Sing4joy said...

Mmmm... Pizza!Pizza!
Not so mmmmm... going to the gym.

His Girl said...

I heart condi too- totally watched that ep and loved her so much.

and yes, I'm on sharkwatch2009 for grey's

missing you.. just getting caught up on yer blog. re-entering civilization tonight, feels great.

Cheryl Wray said...

I love your random chatter. It's so cool to see a peek into your world.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Becky said...

Way to go JiMCS kiddos! That's awesome.

And a ski day spent reading and doing other fun things for hours, uninterrupted AND followed by pizza? Sounds pretty near perfect.

Love seeing God's people in action, helping out those in need. Way cool.

Susie Q said...

I am so happy for your sweet kids and their good news! Whoo Hoo!
And the story about the dear ady who needed a hand and received it from others, even those who hit hard times too...well. What a joy to hear such stories. People ARE basically good and kind and caring. I have seen it first hand myself and hearing such good things always puts a smile on my face. Thiniing of you all happily vacationing in Maui makes me smile too! Green with envy but with a smle anyhoo! *laugh*

Love,
Sue