Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wishing My Most Excellent Friends a Bodacious New Year

Okay...I'm probably outed: I recently watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Somehow that DVD (along with it's twin: Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) made it into my son's Christmas stocking, so we had to watch. But it's true: I wish you nothing short of a bodacious, incredible new year. In order to kick that off, I thought I'd share how I celebrated the end of 2008 with my family and might even throw in a resolution or 2. I've poured myself a bit o' bubby. When that's done, so will endeth the post.

So Wednesday morning began the intense preparation for our New Year's Eve extravaganza: Junk Food Night. We started this in, probably 1999 when we had 2 under 3 and felt a little "stuck"...Couldn't get a babysitter and/or didn't feel like coping with snowy roads or jam-packed restaurants. Yes, friends, we were "old" even at 30. So, what's a body to do except consume countless milligrams of sodium, fat, and sugar? We invited some friends and their small ankle biters over, as well because misery loves company they needed some fun, too--and as I said before, Big and I are nothing if not FUN. Our first year, we had jalapeno poppers, mozzarella fried cheese sticks, chips, hot fudge sundae bar, pop, and champagne for the toast. Our reasoning? Everyone diets after January 1st--might as well go out with a bang! The games (chase the toddler) and conversation (Big! Hurry, she's got poop going up the back of her onesie--get me the wipes NOW) were exciting as we reflected upon the events of the ending year and the hope for the new one (do you think anything will REALLY happen with this Y2K?). Since we are incredible creatures of habit, it was relatively cheap, understanding entertainment, we all seemed to enjoy ourselves, a tradition was born. Junk food dinner and sundaes at our house, complete with ringing in the New Year in whichever time zone suited the behavior and demeanor of our children. We typically rang in with the New Yorkers, but now, the kids know better, and we're forced to watch the ball drop 3 hours after it actually does so.

Fast forward to Seattle...We have dear friends, whom we've known forever, and both kids--especially Drama Girl love, love, love to have them over (they have 2 dtrs, one each of my kids' age). There's been a lot of sadness over the years--divorce, with the fallout and physical distance that brings. But now, these friends are both remarried. The girls live in NM with their mom, but always get Christmas with their dad and new step mom here in Seattle. We could not be happier to have them, and this is the 3rd year running, for our junk food night. The bonus is that we all have a giant sleep over with them because a) who wants to drive home after midnight, and b) Guitar Hero and visiting and eating is just as fun the morning after as it is the night before.

So that's a little background. Now because I'm a giver, I have some extra special tips for you if you'd like to plan ahead for next year and do your own Junk Food Extravaganza.
  1. Everyone gets a favorite. Some examples of requests: Twinkies, Gretchen's most awesome and delectable stuffed mushrooms, pigs in a blanket, honey BBQ Fritos, Pizza Rolls, and StarBursts.
  2. Consider making this pot-luck because a) everyone makes sure to get a fave, b) this junk food is e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e., and c) I guess there really is no "c". Ahem.
  3. Select games that have mass appeal. Or consider a movie.
  4. Premade blueberry french toast or breakfast casserole is the way to go.
  5. TUMs and Ibuprofen not required, but nice "just in case"
  6. Get pots and pans and wooden spoons ready for banging--but discourage screaming. Oh, the girls...they did scream...

Voila! Instant party. Now today, we realized the errors of our ways and went to the gym as a family, but life is for living, no?

After our company left, Drama Girl and I headed to her most favorite destination: Momma's quilt store! Woo hoo! It's not, really, but she was an incredible sport. This store started the tradition of a New Year's Day sale event several years back, and I'm told they were so stoked at having a $200.00 day in sales. Let me just say...despite the economy, quilters are a wily bunch, and let's just say the lady in front of me plus me equalled that amount. And the store was packed. My daughter gained a mighty load of brownie points by holding my purse, or this bolt of fabric, and moving here and there to assist me in getting all the things I "needed". Oh my GOODNESS, vintage Santa stuff is cute. She is definitely "first assistant" material. :) What she doesn't know is that although I bought a 1940s apron pattern and fabric (cherries) for me, I snuck in another cut so she'll have her own apron by Valentine's day. Oh, dear--that's only 6 weeks away. But I digress. After our exercise and lunch, we rallied to go to Joann's Fabric to look at some Christmas sale fabric and the yarn ($2/skein). Umm...apparently we were late to the party: there wasn't a stitch, a swath, or a thread of Christmas fabric in the store. Undeterred, we looked at other things, and I happened to "need" some more knitting needles, so off we went to spend my gift card. THANK YOU, mother and father Big.

Lastly...Dear Lord, aren't you glad?

Lastly, we headed to a Christian bookstore and I got spoiled (again by Big) by getting a new Bible. Yay! I am so excited! It's an NLT Study Bible. Big, rich, thick, and chocolatey! I mean...big and amazing, filled with maps and all the setting info that is so helpful when trying to visualize some of that olden days stuff. The bestest part is that when I brought it home (for it was a gift card purchase) he inscribed it for me. God is softening his heart. And...probably mine, too. Scratch that...I know He's softening mine, too.

Oops...forgot about the resolutions. I guess that'll wait for another post. My glass is empty, and this has been quite a yarn.

Mwah! SDG!

9 comments:

Denise said...

Happy New Year my precious friend, I love you.

His Girl said...

What an adventure! Love the junk food day... and your new Bible? sounds fantabulous!

Happy Happy New year, friend! xoxoxox

(swoozle is my word verification treat!)

Julie said...

What a fun New Year's...to bad I don't live down the road!....

Thanks for your sweet notes on my blog. As always you bless me with your encouragement....Thank you!

What a blessing it has been to my life to have met you in 2008. Can't wait to know you more in 2009...

Hugs!
Julie

Becky said...

I, like, totally loved those movies, dude.

The party sounds GREAT, and that was a good idea to just make it a big sleepover, too. MMmmm...stuffed mushrooms...we had those, too.

JoAnn fabrics is one of my after Christmas haunts, too, lol, but ours was pretty well picked-through by the time I got there.

Yay for new Bibles!

Wish you could have been in Palm Springs, too!

Jenster said...

Lovely!! We used to do junk food on New Year's Eve, too. Our church has a huge youth event called Countdown, though, which means we don't get to spend New Year's Eve with our kids anymore. :o( And this year was particularly wierd - not bad, just different - but I won't bore you with those details. lol All this is just to say we do junk food too!!

My very most favoritist part of this post is the part about the new bible. For lots of reasons, but mostly because of Big writing in it for you. *happy, praise dance*

Jenster said...

OH! I, like, totally forgot to tell you something!! I got a dog for my 16th birthday and I named her Bodacious!! LOL

Susie Q said...

Now this all sounds like great fun to me!!

I wish I loved closer so I could join in next year!

Happy New year to dear Gretchen. You are a blessing in my life...a true blessing.

Love,
Sue

Tiffani said...

oh how I wish we lived closer!

I need a "sewing mentor"...I've made several things over the years (mainly for Julia) but would love to do it more...it's one of the many crafting "loves" that I've cheated on and left for another!

And, may I hear more about the premade Blueberry French Toast???

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I want to crash your junk food party! I've never heard of honey bbq fritos, but everything else sounds YUM-O!

Happy New Year!