Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
Dunno, maybe I should commit this one to memory, too. :)
Thank you for your emails, prayers, and comments. I do get by with a little help from my friends; and He leads me to my friends, so I'm doubly grateful.
So...yesterday, I sorta took a half day of unpaid vacation *grin* and just gave in a wee bit. As you know, I did the movie thang with David. I also managed to get the 3 of us to the gym-yay me!-to work off some of my
When we pulled out of the driveway to go to the gym, the most amazing thing happened: we saw a sunset. Yes, a sunset at 4:25, but a sunset nonetheless. Not just grey upon grey, but a little blue, orange, pink, and yellow crept in. Today? Grey. But we had a glimpse, and that did wonders for my psyche. I can see that it's time to pull out the sun lamp. I don't like sitting with a b.r.i.g.h.t. light in my face each morning, but it does release a few endorphins my way.
After we got home, I made us nachos/burritoes for dinner and lazed a bit longer. Then, after bedding down the chirrun, I stayed downstairs. I watched Grey's Anatomy, but at each commercial, I got back up, wiped down a counter, filled the dishwasher, changed laundry, swept...you get the idea. I m.a.d.e. myself be productive so that I wouldn't wake up to a severely cruddy looking house. Normally, when the kids go up to bed, I go up, but since I had given myself the day off, I decided to work a bit.
Why do I share this? Well, for several reasons, I guess. I think it's important to know that many of us struggle with various levels of depression, anxiety, and/or low self esteem. I am not the poster child for any of these, but I have had to deal with them in my life, sometimes more than others, and definitely more-so in the winter time. But I don't just want to let you know all my dirty little secrets w/o telling how I cope. :)
A good friend reminded me last night that you just have to put your feet on the floor, get dressed, and get moving. And she's right. It's such a win for Satan if we pull the covers over our heads and give in to his lies. I believe it's okay to feel overwhelmed, and to regroup and find your bearings by resting, but we cannot give in by giving up, whether by self-isolation or by diving into the nearest bottle, cheesecake, or shopping spree. Am I all better from yesterday? Mostly. I realize that, unlike true depression--which I've had before, and which I am always on guard against--this was just a down day. All of us have them. But really, the treatment is the same. I'm not saying what I do is a guaranteed cure all, but I want to share some tips that have helped me whether just being down or having a depression...
1. Pray. Tell Him all about it. Tell some more. Ask Him to wrap His arms around you and be your strength.
2. Repent of any self-bashing, e.g. "I'm a terrible________; I can't do anything right...,etc."
3. Get outside for at least 15-20 minutes a day, especially in the winter time. If it's cold or rainy, put on a coat.
4. Exercise. I know...this can be akin to a swear word for some of us. But unfortunately exercise really does cure most ails. Can be combined with #3. :)
5. Reach out. On the phone, on line, at work, at a play date, at church, even at the grocery store. This one is particularly hard for me, but it's imperative. Also, your friends can't help you if they don't know you're having a hard time. If having a meal brought over or having someone take the kids for a couple hours would help you, don't be afraid to ask. As I say again; not easy for me, or for any of us, I imagine, in our hellbent on independence culture...
6. Clean your kitchen (shine your sink) as Flylady would say. Truly, this is one of the silliest things I've ever heard of, but it works. I think it's a clean slate mentality. If you go to bed with a full sink of dirty dishes, you're never gonna want to get up. And you're sure as heck not gonna want to make breakfast for yourself or your kids.
7. Lastly, get dressed. I know for some of you it's okay to stay in your jammies, but for those of us depressies, we need that boost of purpose (IMO) that clothes provide.
That's it. Obviously, see your doctor if your blue days turn into weeks or months. And remember that there is no shame in feeling lousy. It is what it is.
Hugs all around...SDG!
13 comments:
bless you Gretchen
what a nice caring post
im praying for you
and just one other thing that has helped me who was getting depressed week after week month month after month is when your doc advices meds take them
I do not believe it is a weakness nor a sign of not trusting and failing to give everything to God I believe He expects us to be proactive sometimes. Sometimes depression can be a low serotonin level in ones brain and sometimes meds are the only things that can help long term
blessings
Jen
I agree with you 100%, Jen. I happen to have a relationship with my doc where I can wean down to 1/2dose in the summer and up to a full dose in the winter if I need it.
I figure, if I had bad cholesterol, I'd take meds for that if they were prescribed. The key is to keep checking in with your doctor.
Great advice and oh so true! These are the steps I've learned to take over the years too. It's definitely not always easy to make yourself do them, but it does help.
This is such a great post! You shared yourself and your heart and that's so wonderful.
I don't know what I'd do without my friends--ones close by and blogging ones too :) It's a great ministry this blogging stuff, isn't it??
I thought about you tonight because I cleaned my kitchen when I didn't want to! I knew tomorrow was gonna be crazy...and then that led me to getting all of our school stuff put away for the weekend (it can stay around til Sunday) and I got everything out for in the morning!
I was so drained and sleepy before all of that and now I'm SO glad I went ahead got busy...
We FINALLY got some sun here today...and boy did it feel good inside the body and outside of it...kids, puppy, hubby..all outside..how wonderful..we're all getting the blahs between Daddy not having a job yet and the rain...we've had LOTS of together time!
Thanks for being so honest and helpful with your words today, Gretchen!
Hey Gretchen!
It's been awhile since I've had a chance to drop in.
I so appreciate how you are willing to be open. I have a close friend struggling with depression right now. It is such an isolating kind of thing-people NEED to know that they are not alone in the struggle. Thanks for sharing openly and for passing on what has helped you.
"Two are better than one..." I have often thought about the trinity and how even God is not alone...I know He is perfect, and omnicient and everything...but I think it is also such a testiment to the fact that we need others close to us.
HUGS & congrats for getting out of bed, getting dressed and pursuing life!
Shanda
Sweet Gretchen, I'll be praying for you. I can't say that I suffer from depression, but I DO battle low self esteem and anxiety more often than I care to admit. I know those days when I want nothing more than to hole up in my house are the days when I probably need to get out the most.
I hope you have a good weekend and get to see another sunset to lift your spirits. :)
excellent, excellent advice. JUST got the flylady book this week and planned to shine my sink today... excited to come out of the funk :)
All of your steps are tremendous. I am going to take the advice like a gift and run with it.
you are a special gift to me, too.
Thank you for stopping by, Shanda. One of the biggest things you can do for your friend is to pray. The other? If you can, pick a small favor or treat to do and then do it. For example, I had a friend just drop by for 30 minutes, and it made my day. You know what would be best, though.
What awesome advice! Fortunately, I don't think I've ever had any bouts with depression. However, I am human (really, I am!) and I do get down sometimes. The exercise thing is a biggie for me. No, not because I DO it, but because when I do, it makes a world of difference.
Thanks again!!!
Good job with the cleaning during the commercials! FlyLady would be proud. I loved WA when we visited, but I do not think I could handle that much cold and wet and dark. I know you must love it there, or you would not be there. I wish I could package you up some So Cal sun and send it by FedEx. You are doing the right things, Lord bless you and lift you up.
I have a song to share from my favorite songwriter who used to be a WA girl. Its on my Myspace (gasp) page, so here you go: http://www.myspace.com/bcolmer
Great post sweetie, love and blessings to you.
I heart you. The reaching out part is the hardest thing for me, too. When I'm "in a mood" the last thing I want to do is talk to anybody.
Great post, Hon. And thanks for being there for me!
GREAT post, Gretchen.
(How/why do I let myself get so behind on your blog?)
Anyway, I was just talking to my friend Jamie this week about getting out/reaching out when we're in our funks. It helps so much.
Post a Comment