Thursday, January 8, 2009

Random and January Blah

Hi,

I'm trying so hard to count my blessings, take a walk outside (even if it's cloudy and rainy, the sun supposedly still is shining), and avoid falling into the pit of comfort eating by cleaning and blogging, and planning time with others. Also, planning to take David to a (yawn) museum today after he finishes his homework. I know these days pass. I know I'm a person who battles melancholia. And then I'm anxious because I'm low, and then I feel guilty...blah, dee blah, blah. So...I'm doing a lot of self talk and prayer. But just so you know, I'd rather be in my bed alternately reading, sleeping, and watching TV. And drinking a bottomless cup of cocoa or tea. Seasonal affective depression? or January Blahs? You make the call. I don't care. I just want some sun and some sleep.

I'm going to see if I can come up with a few happies to keep this day going...
  • I'm done poop-scooping for the week, and I've decided to pass on the title of Poop Scooper Extraordinaire to my son and daughter. I think I've done my time. At least until they leave the house.
  • Our house is not flooded, nor are the streets around it flooded. We are wet and sloppy, but not unsafe. This makes me happy, and grateful. And prayerful for the folks all around who are suffering.
  • My hubby has his luggage! It's been a nasty 3 days for him, washing out his unmentionables and hoping for the best. When I spoke to him this a.m., he'd just gotten it, and was so elated that he felt like changing clothes 3 or 4 times today, just because he could. :)
  • I'm doing fairly well at predicting dinner by 10 a.m., and at going to the gym with the kids.
  • I have some little baby quilts to do for the church. New little ones...so sweet.

Well, that's about all I can muster, but I do feel better. Sorry if this was a downer for any of you. I know many of you are feelin' me, though. God's blessings on the rest of your weeks and weekends.

Edited: Okay...I gave up on the museum. Too yucky to drive. So...I'm staying in the nest. David's done with his work, so we'll be cuddling on the couch, watching U-571. He loves WWII, and I don't mind me some Matthew McConnaughey or Bill Paxton...It's all good. Oh, and so is the popcorn. Good, I mean.

9 comments:

Denise said...

I am lifting you way up in my prayers dear one, I love you.

Becky said...

That would be AWFUL to lose your luggage on a business trip. Ugh. And it's not like BIG could find clothing in his size at the corner clothing stores there either, lol. That is, if he's in the country you often mention him going to, lol.

My family all suffered terribly in the wintertime, too. When there is so much rain and it's soggy outside, it's understandable.

It's right about now that my mom begins getting her seed and bulb catalogs in the mail, and begins planning out her garden. Just seeing green things growing seems to help remind her that sunny, non-soggy weather is on the way.

Barb said...

There's nothing you could post that would wipe the smile off my face. I just scrolled down and saw the photo of Murphy lifting his leg in the snow that comes up to his stomach. LOL

January blahs are pretty common I think and besides, your hubby just left again. I think you deserve to treat yourself to some blahs if you want to. :-)

Good grief, does his luggage get lost every single time he goes there? No wonder he wants to change clothes four times a day, just because he finally HAS some clothes.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I know where you live is about as grey as here - I've learned after 12 years of it to get up, get dressed and get out as many days in the winter as possible. Also to get enough sleep but not too much - too much can be dangerous, makes it too easy to just stay there. Being out and with people every day really does seem to help, and starting my day, literally the first few minutes I'm awake thinking, "what do I have to look forward to today?" Once I remember it, I thank God for it, put my two feet on the floor and get on with it. Glad to know Doug has clean undies again. Hugs to you sweet friend. xoxo

Julie said...

The drabby days of winter....yea.... I hate those days.
It's rained here for several days...and then today it was blue skies with white fluffy clouds. I was SO glad cause I had to drive into the BIG CITY (Atlanta) to take my daughter to the airport. I HATE driving into downtown ATL.... So had I had rainy weather and roads...oh my, I don't know how I would have made it.

I love how you chose to think of things to be thankful for in the midst of a gray day....

Your heart is stunning!!!

Love ya, friend,
Julie

His Girl said...

ah I totally know the melancholia. keep telling myself to "snap out of it"

the voice of melody said...

Hoping your weather soon improves. It's amazing how much it can affect someone's mood. Baking always does wonders for me. :) Stay safe!

Tiffani said...

well at least you could find something good to speak of in the midst of the blahs!

That's my kinda girl...

proud that dinner is almost figured out at 10am :) Keep up the good work...

Jenster said...

I'm thinking dozing off on a comfy beach chair somewhere tropical. :o)

I think you're doing a great job of finding the blessings, dearie.