Friday, January 23, 2009

You so want to read this.

Okay, before I check out of blogland for my weekend of doing nothing, yes, nothing with my girfriend, it's time for a meme. You knew it was, right? Thank you, Cheryl. I haven't spoken about myself in at least a day. :)

25 Random Facts...

1. I'm an only child on one side of my family and have 2 1/2 sisters on the other side. I say that because we are really more friends than sisters, since we weren't raised together. A shout out and howdy do to my littlest sister, L. She's 26 today. Infant.

2. I think lefties are so kewl. Like my other husband, Phil Mickelson. And myself and daughter, of course.

3. I lurve language. Playing with it. Working it through my fingers on the keyboard and swirling it around my mouth. Lurve making new words. Remember sniglets, anyone?

4. I'm a very tactile-kinesthetic person. I think that's why I like to cuddle, to sew, to type, to knit, to have massages.

5. Very auditorily defensive. Unless I'm blasting my stereo on a good song. Weird though...I abhor listening to instruments tuning and to people warming up/playing out of turn. I don't have a fear of loud alarms, like my son, but a room crowded by yapping people wears me out. Don't like dogs barking either--i tend to startle each time.

6. All #5 aside, I cannot tell you how in love with being on the worship team I am. Love choir, love singing on the small team. Love singing in my chair as part of the Body.

7. I cannot stand it when my face is hot/sweaty.

8. I love to plan holidays and their gatherings for a long time in anticipation of all the good fun we'll have.

9. Lurve my library.

10. Love the closeness I have with each child. Each relationship is so different. I'm 1:1 with David a ton of the time, and we bond over that and over some of our sensory things, I think. But Drama Girl and I are quite a bit alike in personality, so we have a wonderful time, too. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by her need to process things verbally. But then the pot remembers who the kettle gets that from.

11. I'm impatient. And quick on the verbal draw. Verrrry dangerous. For this I often repent. And for this...I often draw laughter.

12. If I never work as a speech therapist again, I'm cool with that. Even though I begged, borrowed and worked my way through 6 years of college to get that title. If I do work as a speech therapist again...well, that'll be fine, too.

13. My new prayer each day is to ask God to help me to love my life no matter what's in store for the day. Also, each day before I read the Bible, I ask for eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to listen.

14. I often pray Numbers 6:24 over my kids as i boot them out of the car for school.

15. I pray that over my non-believing husband, too, when he travels. Now he expects it or another prayer.

16. I'm going to be 40 in about 6 weeks, and I'm very excited. Not so excited about the new gray hairs though.

17. On the 10th anniversary of my mom's death, I'll be on Maui. I like being away from home on that date. And I cannot believe how fast time has passed.

18. On July 13th, I'll be the mother of a teenager. You may start praying for me any time now.

19. My fantasy job would be owning a quilt store on an island and hosting ladies' retreats. With Beth Moore, of course.

20. I have always fought my weight, both with healthy and unhealthy attitudes, and I assume I'm going to go to my grave as a slender wannabe. But i have a really nice personality. ;) Totally waiting for "zaftig" to be "in".

21. I'm a napper, and you should be, too. IMHO. ahem.

22. I'm a lover of the fabric and the yarn.

23. I believe my spiritual gifting is in encouragement. And hospitality when hospitality doesn't require meals or cleaning.

24. My other dream job? Carmindy on What Not to Wear. I used to do makeovers all the time, and i lurve helping others see their own beauty.

25. When I go to dance with Jesus, it will be with polished toenails. Home pedi or store pedi--no bare toes.

SDG!

11 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

my youngest is a leftie and so is my awesome sister

re 16 do what I do and dye it
Happy Birthday too in case I miss it

re 18 I am and its ok really :)

interesting reading :)
Jen

Denise said...

I enjoyed this.

Tea with Tiffany said...

This was fun. I found you from Julie at Jewel Sightings blog.

I'm 40 and a mom of a teenager. No grey hairs yet. :) Praying for a safe journey lately, Justin is driving with his permit now. Oh no!

Adventures of Laura said...

Can I get one of those makeovers you love doing? I love the part of What Not To Wear when Carmindy does her magic and I always wonder how I would look after some time with her. I am in need of some sound advice and good teaching in the makeup department!

This was fun to read - enjoy your time away!

www.frogparenting.blogspot.com said...

I love this--- I wish I had your gift of mixing up the words and spellings to create new better message-- but alas that is not my skill-- I am,however-- good at retaining water--
I love #23 the best...
My daughter,my son and my husband are lefties-- but I can curl my tongue-- and some of them can't!
was that TMI? sorry!
Thanks for letting me talk about ME! LOL

Barb said...

Oh my, you're just a baby, Gretchen. I love what you do with language. You're very clever and everything you write is fun to read.

I should remember that toenail thing. Mine are terrible and polish would be a huge improvement.

Must.polish.toenails.

Whew!

Great list. And always fun to get to know a little more about you.

:-)

Tiffani said...

This was soo great to read more about you...

My hubby is a leftie but that's it in our house..

I busted out laughing and will unashamedly steal the line "but the pot remembers where the kettle gets that from" b/c I tend to rag Connor about all things I am myself!!

I thought about you this morning b/c Sugar sat with me during my hour video of Beth Moore..part of it she even watched intently like needed a Word too!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You are the meme queen! I loved your list. The hospitality that doesn't involve cleaning or meals made me spew my chai.

Funny girl!

the voice of melody said...

It was so nice to learn more about you! Loved #13, what a great prayer.

Many sweet blessings!

Becky said...

Loved your list!

I, too, love that closeness with my very different children.

I hadn't noticed your "Bucket List" until today...and we really have to do something about that MIRL thing. ;)

Cheryl Wray said...

AWESOME answers!!!!

I'm the Mom of one teenager and one almost-teen (she'll be 13 in June). It's a challenge...but I LOVE it. Teens are so cool!!!

I also love language. A good sentence just makes me happy.

Love your fantasy job idea. :-)

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!