Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Howdy! As mentioned in yesterday's post, I do have some resolutions mulling around in my mind. Here's what I've come up with. Why post them? I suppose simply because I'm a sharer, and like to see what others are up to. And a little accountability never hurt anyone. Blessings to you on your resolutions if you make them. I don't roll with as much organization as people like Mer, though I admire it and her greatly. And am a little jealous, truth be told. I think we ought to all be surrounded by friends who have gifts and talents and personalities which make us a "little bit jealous". Maybe this is my curious way of saying that iron sharpens iron.

In 2009, I resolve to:
  1. Know what we are having for dinner by 10 a.m. each day.
  2. Memorize the following and use them as "life verses". Note: they feel weird on my tongue because I'm in a NLT for now, but I'm going with it. Why not be flexy in the new year?

Proverbs 16:32 Better to be patient than powerful; and better to have self control than to conquer a city.

I'm using the above verse to really hone my patience with my children. Heaven knows I have the authority over them, but you know what? My son is now bigger than me. Soon, my daughter will physically outgrow me. I have to outwit, outlast, and outplay them somehow...so, why not do so with controlled, patient, and gentle words? I may be a little slow on the uptake, but I'm realizing that if I want to see fruit in them, it needs to be fertilized by good examples and love of God from me.

Philippians 4:4-8 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again--rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you life in Christ Jesus.

And now dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right and pure, and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

I know these verses in the NIV translation, so I thought it interesting and fun to learn them in the NLT, as well. I've used and will continue to use them with myself and my children, especially when dealing with fears and anxiety. We are an anxiety-prone bunch, and this is a balm to our souls. Not only that, but reminds us that worry is indeed sin, for lack of trust in God.

Colossians 3:1-2 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God's right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

Colossians is such a bounty of godly how-tos that I knew I wanted a verse from there. It was hard to pick. Last week, I memorized Col. 3:12, and thought about carrying it through as a life verse. Thing is, it's time to learn more and new, and add to what I carry in my heart, not rest on the laurels of what's already hidden. :)

3. Pray each day over my husband. We pray a lot as a family, and I usually either say the Numbers 6:24 priestly blessing over the kids on their way to school or do other "freelance" prayers. But...it's important to me to pray for Big. I don't know where exactly his heart is. But I do know I can pray over him and for his heart to open and grow closer with God. So I will.

4. Take self and children to the gym 4 times a week. Yes, we're getting Wii fit (thank you Mother and Father Big), but we don't have it yet, and we do have a gym membership. I usually do 15 minutes on the bikes, 10 on the ellipticals, and 5-10 on some weight machines, usually for tummy, upper arm and inner thigh. I am not a gym rat, don't love exercise, and don't think hours of exercise a day are ever going to be my MO. BUT...once again, examples and actions speak louder to children than words. I want them to be healthy. I want to see my grandchildren. And...I want to look even cuter than I already do, so...to the gym we sweat.

5. Take 15 minutes each morning to plan my day. Look at calendar(s), look at school papers, and menu plan and just plan a skeleton of the day. I try to do this, but lately, more often than not, have been shooting from the hip. If I do this, my first resolution will likely be easier to keep, and so will res. 4. After all, it's mighty easy to get to the end of the day and be "too busy" to work out. Anybody hear me?

So, there you have it. I thought about doing 3 for the Trinity and all, but 5 is what came out.

Thank You Jesus for this new year, a clean slate upon which I seek Your will as my own and Your grace in each moment. In Your precious name, amen.

SDG!

9 comments:

Jenster said...

Noble goals, all! My in-laws gave us a Wii Fit for Christmas and we've been having a great time with it. Our YMCA (with a pool) membership runs out tomorrow, I think, and I'm trying to decide whether or not we should renew. What to do, what to do.

Julie said...

Hey my friend, Thanks for coming by for a visit...

I totally agree with you we all need some plans and structure to get us moving. But I believe too often we get caught up in the plans and structure and move into "autopilot" not even giving consideration to the fact that we can live in the moments, trusting Him with our tomorrows......

I love the fact that HE is our balance....

Love ya, girl!
Julie

Debbie Petras said...

I love your sense of humor! I caught the "outwit, outlast, outplay" part. These are great resolutions! I love that you pray over your husband!

Girl Raised in the South said...

There's so much here that I love, I don't even know where to start. 'clean slate' is certainly up there. 'Cuter than I already do' may be the favorite. Happy New Year sweet Gretchen!

Tiffani said...

I loved this, girl! Especially knowing by 10am what you're having for dinner--I need to adopt that one myself!

Loved all the verses and I will pray that you will be inspired, encouraged and faithful in all you hope to accomplish this year!!

HUGS TO YOU from the MUGGY south!

Suzanne said...

Thank you so much for your prayers. Love ya girl!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Wonderful scriptures and goals. Happy New Year to you!

Jackie said...

The scripture is one I definitely need to memorize too...such wisdom.

And I am totally getting back on the treadmill tomorrow, because I, too, want to be cuter than I already am. ;) Happy New Year, my friend!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Great goals. Great verses.

Girl, I'm not as organized as you think.

I love the 15 minutes to plan your day idea...and stay tuned for my meal system post i hope to get posted this week...that might give you some help with that first goal there, girl!