I mentioned "premade" blueberry French toast the other day when speaking of our "morning after" breakfast for Junk Food Night. You can whip this up in minutes the night before, and bake it while the coffee percolates the next morning. Taken from Colorado Collage cookbook. 1995. It is always a hit, no matter for whom I make it. Even Big, who doesn't like blueberries, loves this.
Blueberry Stuffed French Toast (8-10 servings)
12 slices french bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (or, if like me, torn!)
2 8 oz. pckg cream cheese chilled and cut into 1" cubes (I've subbed Neufchatel chs, but don't rec. fat free)
1 C fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained (I have used frozen w/o problem)
12 large eggs
1/3 C maple syrup
2 C milk
Blueberry Syrup: (can be made ahead and reheated)
1C sugar
2 T cornstarch
1C water
1 C fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained (again, I have easily used frozen)
1T unsalted butter
Grease 13x9 inch baking pan. Place half of the bread cubes evenly in prepared pan. Scatter cream cheese cubes over bread and sprinkle with 1 C blueberries. Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries. In large bowl combine eggs, syrup, and milk and whisk to blend. Pour evenly over reserved bread mixture. Cover with foil and chill overnight.
Preheat oven to 350. Bake, covered with foil, in middle of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. (Sometimes takes up to 15 minutes longer for me)
In small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and water over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 C blueberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until most berries burst. Add butter and stir until melted. Transfer to serving bowl. Place French toast on invividual serving plates and top with blueberry syrup.
3 comments:
Wow...that sounds decadent..I'm definitely trying that soon! I hope I can find some fresh blueberries that won't cost my right arm to buy but if not I'll do the frozen!
Can't wait and thanks for sharing!
ps--I almost chose that blogger layout when giving mine a facelift--I really like it!!
WOW, WOW WOW - this sounds awesome!!! I will definitely trying it soon. Thank you so much for sharing it!
Love your new blog look, too!
This sounds SO SO SO good!!!
I love any sort of stuffed french toast! I kinda made up a version not long ago that was stuffed with cream cheese and Nutella and it was to die for!!!
and I love anything with blueberries...Mmmmm.
Post a Comment