Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Time for Thanksgiving: Day 19

Day 19:  Still Thanking... :)

I know...my rhymes are getting a little ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, I want to give thanks for my sense of humor.  I've already covered the olfactory sense in this post, so I don't want to be redundant.  And I realize that I often talk about humor or laughter.  Perhaps this post is redundant, too. 

I don't care. ;)

I am grateful for not only my own sense of humor, but for others' senses of humor, as well.  Lemme simply cut to the chase.  I love to laugh.  I love to make others laugh.  Why?  Because, children, life is hard and then we die.  Some days are just.plain.nearly.unbearable.  Enter:  laughter.  It really is the best medicine--for me, anyway. 

Some people would say that the following is a terrible, horrible, no good way to be, but here's a little insight into my sick mind...My mother died when I was almost 30.  I miss her terribly, but am glad she's in Heaven, where I don't have to worry about her ummm...self destructive and needy tendencies.  Truth is, I'm glad she's in a place where God can take care of her because she didn't do that very well for herself.  Long story long...she used to call me all.the.time.  The conversations weren't often pretty. And, as a young wife and mother, I was often in the midst of something when she called.  As you can well imagine, when she died, the phone calls stopped.  Of course, I grieved for her immensely, but to be honest, I didn't miss the phone calls.  When she'd call, my husband would look at me with dread (for me) in his eyes, and say..."It's your mother."

Shortly after she died, I wanted things to be normal between my husband and me.  I didn't want him to feel like he was on eggshells, or like I was on-the-verge-of-snapping, so I implored him to joke around with me and act as normally as possible. 

You guessed it...the phone rang, and I asked who it was.  He deadpanned:  "It's your mother."  Oh, how healing that was for me. 

Lord, thank You for a sense of humor.  Thank you for Your own sense of humor in making me directionless and focus-free.  I'm sure we'll laugh together in Heaven. In Jesus' name.  Amen.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Katie said...

Prince. Love that Doug did that! Perfect match.

Gretchen said...

What a great story. I love your sense of humor. Lurve it. ;)