Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Time for Thanksgiving: Day 15

Day 15:  Beauty Queen

Most days, unfortunately, you might overhear me sigh or kvetch or openly diss upon this body I've been given.  Generally speaking, I could stand to lose about 30% of my current weight, and I suffer the aches and pains associated with that, as well as a myriad of other "you're not 25 anymore" complaints.  But you know what?  I'm not going to complain about my body today.  Today, and for several days to come, I'm going to be giving thanks for my body.  My body has intact nerve functioning.  My muscles work.  I can breathe.  I have borne two beautiful children and fed them well.  I have walked 60 miles over 3 days to fight breast cancer. I can swim, do the elliptical, and sit up to feed myself.  I can read, write, speak, and listen.  I can cry, laugh, wince, carp, and titter.  I can pray.  I can imagine.  For the most part, my outside goes along with what the inside tells it to do.  I am blessed.

Today, I give thanks for my eyesight.  With my eyes, I've been privileged to see so many amazing things.  Here are a few:
  • The eyes of my beloved, as we were married, and every day since then.
  • The births of my children, and all of their milestones to date.
  • The death of my mother.
  • The beaches of Maui--with whale tails slapping, and baby/mom whales breaching
  • Whidbey Island
  • Movies!  I am such a movie girl.  Of course, I celebrate hearing in watching movies, too.
  • The living Word of God in Scripture.
  • Parts of Europe, and other amazing travel adventure spots.
  • The myriad of movements in a single facial expression.
  • My friends and family. 
Looking forward to one day seeing the eyes of Jesus.  For now, however, I'll thank Him for giving me His eyes to see.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, what a great reminder! Many times we are asked how we might do things differently if we knew we only had so long to live, but what if we knew we had so long to see! Your mention of having vision to read the Word made me realize a new way I will cherish it. We are blessed to even be able to see it.