Friday, November 11, 2011

A Time for Thanksgiving: Day 11

Day 11:  Thank a Veteran (or several)

Today, I am so thankful for all of the men and women, past and present, who have worn the uniform of freedom for the United States of America. 

In particular, I want to give thanks to God for my sister, Lydia, who serves in our Navy.  I was raised as an only child, having just a handful of visits with Lydia (and our other sisters) as we grew up in separate households--me with my mother, and her with our father.  The fact that I'm also nearly fourteen a few years older than her has left us with a lot of catching up to do.  In recent years, we've phoned, occasionally visited, and now IM each other on Facebook (because I am not out of touch with technology).  In a way, it's very cool that our friendship/sisterhood is growing now, rather than when we were kids; we get all that rivalry and "it's not fair" stuff out of the way without ever having to go through it in person.  It's also kinda weird, to be honest.  The dad she had IS much different than the dad I had.  I mean, aren't we all different parents at 28 than when we're 42?  This isn't a bad thing--it just means our memories are similar, yet different.  And we have few shared childhood memories just because I was out on my own and married before she was in 3rd grade.  However our family fits together, and whatever we call ourselves--I treasure it.  I'll also always be grateful for the memory of the 7 year old, adorable flower girl at my wedding.  So fun!

But more than that...I treasure Lydia and all that she is:
  • Funny and wayyy witty.
  • Compassionate
  • Independent (even though...it IS okay to ask for help, Lydia. :) )
  • Fiercely loyal
  • A friend to animals
  • Brave
  • Clever, clever, clever
  • She unapologetically marches to the beat of her own drum
  • tall (pray for me--I'm jealous)
(Haiti)


(With our dad) 


 All sorts of cute, sexy, adorable, and Navy-like in uniform.

 God bless you, Lydia.  I am so proud of you.  And God bless all of our veterans.

Photobucket

No comments: