Welcome to
Help
A Sister Tuesday, or HAS for short. Nod to
CPQ, of course. This may or may not be a regular Tuesday feature. But since I'm a sister, and I need help, I thought we could go from there. Does it sound all about me? Ahem.
- Help a sister: decide whether it's worth cooking full meals when her hubby is gone. What do you do when your hubby departs? Is it mealtime as usual, or is there simplifying, either with Little Caesar's Pizza or with snack/low maintenance meals?
- Help a sister: with time management. How do you balance the twitting, blogging, facebooking and emailing of the day? Are you obsessive? Compulsive? A little bit of both? Are you perfectly balanced and in your zone after 9 a.m. , dressed to the (sensibly tied) shoes?
- Help a sister: to decide what 40 fun things I should do while I'm 40. Maybe something you'd like to do?...Because I like fresh new ideas. I'm what you call a comfort zone-rut girl. While I don't think anyone should pick what would be on my list because that would defeat the idea of my generating it, I need some thoughts. But I'd like to do 40 new or different experiences this year, and keep a journal of them. Thank you Michele, for the inspiration behind this. And if you're wondering, I have forgiven her for saying that she has "lots of years" before she turns 40. Because I'm a giver of grace. ;)
13 comments:
Such a great idea sweetie.
On meals: We simplify when C's out of town, but I do try at least once every three days to have a "real meal" that I would have served had Dad been home. The other two days it's a casserole or tacos. Or a chicken patty sammich.
On time management: I'm typing this in my unshaved leg glory as I have not mastered the shower routine before I sit down to bloggy goodness. I try to have all my "personal time" done by 9:30 so that I can accomplish great and mighty things like the laundry, but I'm not super disciplined. I'll be coming back to read what others say.
And for your 40 list: paint a set of dishes for yourself (or a set of dessert plates) at a pottery place, take a Zumba class, check out a Chinese language dvd set from the library, read a book on world economics or ancient Egypt, and cook something ridiculously complicated.
Meals definately get easier when hubby isn't home. Hot dogs and frozen pizza reign.
Time management? Let me know how that goes. I've given up.
I wish I'd made a list of 40 things to do but now I'm over a year late. I like CPQ's ideas a lot. How about make a scrapbook of your first 40 years. Learn to play an instrument. Visit a city you've always wanted to see. Have a real old fashioned slumber party with other friends turning 40 this year.
Hey sister!
cooking: nope. no way. it's easy peezy lemon squeezy meals for us...one dish spaghetti, soup/grilled cheese or cereal!
time mgmt: I am obsessive about email..I check in on blogs/twitter a couple of times a day and sometimes just leave FB "open" and walk by and see what's up...I so want to shut the lid and not open it until a certain time and I feel it calling me...
on 40: I heart Michele. I heart you. This is a great idea! get a tattoo, skydive, scale a mountain, pack a bag and get in the car and don't have a destination in mind...
The meal thing? I usually do simplify when Jeff's away. Of course with Jericho eating like a man these days, I'm not sure my usual M.O. (falling back on elaborate quesadillas) would fly.
Pita Pizzas are a good standby. Set up a pizza bar and let the kids assemble their own, and then bake them en masse in the oven or individually in the toaster oven or micro. I buy and freeze whole wheat pitas for this purpose. I often have homemade marinara leftovers that I can thaw out, and nearly always have bulk mozzarella shreds and a few veggies, canned pineapple and olives on hand, so it's pretty quick and inexpensive to throw together, and a tad bit healthier than delivery pizzas.
Time management? Bwahahahaah! You mean some people actually possess this skill?
I'm barely keeping my nose above water these days...thinking maybe I should get back on FlyLady but I just can't take getting so many emails in a day.
On that list of 40 things? Be sure to fill in one that says, "MEET FRUMPMAMA IRL". ;)
1) We eat cereal. Or mac-n-cheese. Or a bag of chips. Or ice cream. Or...
2) We eat nothing. Because mom is too busy on the computer. Because she is way to obsessed and has zero time-management skills. Unless it is, of course, managing my time to play on the computer.
3) You should swim with dolphins. Because that just seems like a sassy thing to do.
Okay...already swam with dolphins...SO...I'm going to go with Tiff...
Pack a bag, hop in the car, and just drive. Only come to Arkansas...and hang out with me!
Meals: Simple. When J is gone we do pancakes, eggs, pizza, tacos. EZ stuff.
Time Management: I'm a bad one to ask. SO not disciplined. BUT this week I've been super busy so blogging has been neglected. So has email. So has texting. I do like having a regular day to unplug. Gotta get back to that in May.
40: Dunno. Let me think about it.
Ahh someone with sas ...{btw; that's a good thing}. Love the HAS idea. You should keep it up. If we can't find any great problem solving ideas, we can just mock the pants off the problems and feel better about it anyway.
Talking about ideas:
Meals: Feed them? Well at the very least "grabs". And hopefully the little ones get enough crumbs off the floor ... no not really. Like Amber, it's probably cereal.
Time Management: Yes. I am the manager of my home. I manage my time very eclecticly [darn my spelling skills] My biggest gun for the "stuff work" [ie. all the stuff we own and have to look after] is GET RID OF IT or at least simplify if it is like a child or a car or something important like that. Another winner for me is I set my most important goals and work on three in a season. Then each day I have three have to's amongst the spot fires, the nappies and the [hates to admit it] "puter"
My 40 List: I love it!!! This I am definately implimenting. I was welcomed into my 40'ies by giving birth to my tenth child but still have nine years left. Hmmmm ..... tree change - nope done that; buy a sports car - nah. I'll let M do that; write a book ... hmmm. Has potential. This will need some thought!
Great to stumble over you
Maybe grab the book, 1001 things to do before you die and see what grabs you? I have on my list to take piano lessons and learn some conversational spanish and knit a sweater that comes out with both arms being relatively the same length! When Don traveled I still had mealtimes, at the table on time, but what we ate was maybe a bit more playful than when Dad was home. I felt like it gave them a sense of structure and solidness but thats just me.
Thank you for your forgiveness Gretchen. I'm laughing my hiney off over here! Will it help to say that in exactly 1 year and 6 days I will be married to a man that is 40? You know, me and hubs are 1 in the eyes of the LORD so he'll be 40next year . . . kinda, sorta, maybe that helps with me having so many years before hitting that mark?
WHen hubs is gone it is sandwiches, ramen noodles, whatever for dinner.
Time management? I have to make myself get off the computer by 9:30and I don't usually return until the next morning. Sometimes I'll pop on at night, but crazy life forces me to be that way.
The 40 thing? buy someone elses groceries ahead of you in line, buy a complete stranger's meal when eating out, dress up as a clown and go visit a children's hospital (bring lots of balloons), visit people at the nursing home, send yourself flowers every day, go get a massage, run a marathon? or a half marathon? or a 5K? (sorry the exercise chick in me is coming out), go to Disney World, go windsurfing (really cool), go sailing, drop an envelope full of cash into someone's mailbox that you know is in need (do this anonymously, of course), jump off of a cliff into water, send your mom/sister/friend flowers . . . okay, if I come up with more I'll let you know . . . don't want to overwhelm you with my wordiness.
I'm really so very excited that you are doing this. I can't wait to read what you do or what you decide you're going to do. I can't wait to tell my friend what an inspiration she has been with doing this.
1. we live like bachelors, fo realz. sometimes we even forget to eat. shameful.
2. I am an addict. praying about changing this.
3. I don't know what to say for the 40 thing, but am thinking on it, cause i intend to copy
Apprently bullet points are the hot new thing in the bloggy circle I run in...so being one to join in, here I go
1) My hubby is usually home, and lately because #2 has not been going all that great, we have been eating a lot of hamburgers and Ikea meatballs that said hubby cooks.
2) I have been so busy with work lately that I have pretty much stayed off of FB. I do try to keep my gmail inbox at zero after watching a great google tech talk on this. I have fallen back a bit tho. Since I work online, I have to really try to be disciplined, which does not come naturally at all. Basically I try to take little breaks to troll my 'fun' websites throughout the day. the 15 minute rule is good here - set your timer!!
3) I think you and Big should take swing (or some kind of) dance lessons. Of course that is not something just for you, and it is something I really want to convince my hubby to do. =-)
Post a Comment