We have a beach house on the south end of Whidbey Island, an island in Puget Sound, snuggled between the mainland and the Kitsap Penninsula. We are more than fortunate to have this house, and wish we could spend more time there each time we come. It's an hour and 15-30 minutes from our home-home, and that includes a 20+ minute ferry ride.

See the large cove looking thing just below the word "Freeland"? That's Useless Bay. Our house is located near Useless Bay. For those of you warm weather-types, this part of Whidbey doesn't get much hotter than the rest of the Seattle area, but it is beautiful. And the summers can't be beat.
But I had never gone over by myself, for just myself, and with myself. I have brought family and a girlfriend over before, but never have I gone with just the attitude of putterdom. I was a little bit nervous. But filled with child-like anticipation all the same.
Wow. I needn't have worried at all about being alone. God was with me the whole time. He met me as I read Joanne's book (which I'll review here soon--Misplacing God (and finding Him again)). He met me as I took a walk down to the beach (not too much mud this time, yay!), for a lovely poke-at-this-look-at-that-listen-to-this stroll. I saw eagles only in the distance this time, but I heard their cries. Heard the sound of mussels and barnacles struggling to survive in the negative tide. Saw herons. Standing resolutely. Waiting for fish. Saw sea glass and sand dollars. Saw tons of driftwood. Ready and waiting for the imagined our fort that we'll build this spring. Only to rebuild it after winter takes it away in the reworking of the spit of sand that we call "our beach". Picked up moon snail shells, examining their intricate swirls. Put them back for the water to take. Saw the outline of Seattle and its frenetic pace, traffic, and beauty in the distance.
I saw myself. Did I see me as God sees me? No, for I know only a tiny view of the back of His tapestry, including the tapestry of me. But I drew near to Him. Sought Him. Walked with Him.
Let Him love on me just a bit. Thank You, Lord.
When it was time for dinner, I headed "into town" and grabbed some crackers and a lovely chicken salad. Course I needed some caramel corn, too. For dessert. Think I'd go away from home and NOT get dessert? Hmph. Nevah.
Went back to the house. Watched a movie and knitted. Fell asleep watching Friday Night Lights, woke up, and took myself to bed.
Yesterday morning, I woke up when I woke up. Read a bit more, and then headed into Freeland, the little town on the map. It's about 4 miles away. Took Joann's book to my favorite diner and intended to read while enjoying my veggie omelet with truckloads of cheese, toast, and coffee with cream in those thick diner coffee cups. Couldn't read, for I'm distractible with noise. But it wasn't just noise. It was fellow diners, mostly with children--bed-headed children because c'mon--it's Whidbey! No one cares about a little sand man and bed head. I heard the kindness of strangers, kind-hearted joking around with kiddos, and saw a waitress, probably in her late 60s, running after an elderly fella who "left her too much money". He tipped her a 5-spot, and it was just too much. "He doesn't have money like that. I told him next time. Next time. " So I finished breakfast in my happy spot, and left. Filled up with my eggs, and with agape, seen in situ.
As I poked around for the rest of the morning, I prayed and sang worship tunes in my car. Cried a little. Not much. And I sat in the comfort and freedom of God. Had I left Him behind recently? I don't know. I know I've been in my head a lot about my "feelings" lately. And funny enough, that's not a good place for me. Because I'm a ruminator and cogitator, and nothing good comes of that when it's about feeling based on emotion. Don't get me wrong. Feelings and emotions are purposeful, when they're based on truth. Not sure that mine all were. Scratch that. They weren't.
So I refocused. On truth. On a friend's wise words re: avoiding discouragement and embracing freedom. On the cross.
By God, it was awesome.
14 comments:
Isn't God amazing? I used to hate being alone (even for a couple of hours.) Now I long for those wonderful moments with just Him. I'm sure He treasured the time with you as well...
"See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me." Song of Solomon 2:11-13
I loved your descriptions of your moments in the restaurants and getting the caramel popcorn.
My husband blessed me with a two night stay at a local hotel awhile back and it was just what my soul needed.
Oh that is so wonderful, Gretchen. I'm glad you had that time...just you and God...
This sounds like a perfect time to just sit and be. And think. And listen. And feel His hand on your shoulder.
I feel like I went too, and can I come some day???? I want to pick up sea glass (never heard of that, but it sounds beautiful) and have coffee at the diner with the very nice waitress.
Bliss.
*sigh* How is it that YOUR beautiful weekend fills ME with such incredible joy? I'm thrilled you had such a great time with God. No other company like Him!
now, that sounds like one girlicious fun time!
I wanna go!!!!
What a blessed time for you in many ways, huh?! So glad you made the time to do that for yourself!
I loved how you wrote your thoughts down...
Oh, and I w/ CPQ...I want to pick up seaglass...heard of it but never experienced it for myself!
Sounds fabulous. I'm so glad that you were able to spend the weekend by yourself and with the Lord. How refreshing!
And your place sounds absolutely devine!
God is so good!!Love your blog and am putting it on my blog list.
Hope you will stop by my blog .
I am going to have a "card box" giveaway every month. With so many comments, I decided this must be a prize that bloggers wanted.
This drawing will be the last day of April.
Every comment you leave throughout the month will enter your name in the drawing.
This NEW blogger was so touched by all the comments I got on the Blog Party, that I decided to make this a monthly GIFT...
Also, if you mention my blog, telling about the monthly giveaway, you will have your name entered 10 extra times...How is that for an incentive?
I was so blown away by all the responses that I wanted to email each person personally, but TIME... just has not permitted..but I did love reading all of them..I am continuing to introduce my family members and then there will be some fun blogs coming up from Disney World in May. I am so thankful for all my new friends.
God is so beyond awesome.
So I refocused. On truth. On a friend's wise words re: avoiding discouragement and embracing freedom. On the cross.
this is beautiful, sis. the whole time (only 10% jealous) sounds like just what the dr ordered! I'm so glad you did it... and I look forward to seeing what else is around the corner.
you know I think you're the cat's pajamas, right?
I heart Gretchen
What an awesome time you had with God! I just loved this entire post!!
(and btw...the name Useless Bay is just priceless.I love it!)
Okay, so I always lurve your posts...but this one was like the icing on a delicious cake.
So glad you had such a wonderful little getaway. Seeing that map brings back sooo many memories...Anacortes, San Juan Islands, Port Townsend...these are all places I am familiar with.
Oh, speaking of which...it's looking pretty good that we might be heading up to your great State this summer...somewhere near the end of July. I'd LOOOVE to meet up with you somewhere in there...
Oh, you're making me want to take one of my personal retreats...only I don't have a cool, comfy place on Whidbey to hang out. :(
I love that you took that time for yourself...and that God met you there.
Post a Comment