Monday, April 20, 2009

Gladitude Monday: Excessive Photo Style

Well, it's been a while since I up/down-loaded Mr. Camera. Thought I would combine that with a bit o' the gladitude, since often these moments are glad times for me. Other shots, of course, were taken with the express intention of sharing on the blog. I feel the need to say that lest any of you wonder about my mental health status after viewing pictures of plates and carpet.

10. Glad for our fine, furry friends and their Easter time toys. Are you going to try to take Annie's bunny from her? Actually, she'd probably be a better sport than Murphy. He may only have about 5 old, stinky teeth, but they're HIS, and so is his ducky.

9. Glad for Egg Dyeing and the other fun associated with Easter. Actually...other than going to church on Easter, this was about the only fun to be had since our brunch was cancelled and due to the up-ending of the house, I didn't decorate this year. Silly that not decorating and not having brunch really affected me this year. I didn't think it would be a big deal. But I missed them. That's why this set of ugly eggs is so special.


Don't you love the black eggs? Don't they look lovely for Easter morning? Actually, it's Bev's fault (for I am a blame-shifter). She had this glorious post about making her own dye for eggs, how you don't need no PAAS or some such...So the black egg is my attempt at purple. Of course it could be said that she didn't mention anything about purple in her post. Ahem. And actually, the yellow and orange turned out well, I think. I did a combo. I had green, pink, and blue from PAAS, and tried blood red, orange, yellow and purple on my own.

The egg dye-ers...
8. The carpet? She was installed on last Thursday. I think they did a nice job, and wanted to show you how yummy it feels. So...logic follows that I would make a handprint, right? So gladdy mc glad about this.


7. Glad about our "Blue Plate Special" lest you were thinking I was glad about the crumbs in the picture . I made this plate about 6 years ago, and it shows. However, it's a oft forgotten family tradition that we go "round-robin" with in making each member of the family feel special. I got the idea for the blue plate part of it from my favorite diner in Denver, called The Rocky Mountain Diner. I hope it's still open. It was right across from the courthouse. But I digress. Here are our "rules" should you think this is an idea worth doing:
a. The special person gets to say the evening prayer (this includes Daddy--wink)
b. The special person goes first in saying highs and lows of the day (something we do nightly), and if it's a weekend, they can choose to share week highlights).
c. Each person (picked by the special person in turn) shares at least one, but as many as they wish genuine compliments about that person. Of course since the speech therapist/bossy mc bosser in me never sleeps, I make sure that the compliments are: s.p.e.c.i.f.i.c. (Lord, I get tired of "he/she's funny".) and not back-handed in nature. This may be micromanaging. Guilty. But it's also a way to teach some positive communication skills.
d. The special person is served first (unless it's me, of course--I'm usually running)


6. Glad for the Tulip Festival. We went to welcome the gray whales back to the Puget Sound last weekend. There's a little festival in Langley, on Whidbey Island, so we did a first: headed out the door at 9 a.m., went to the bank for cash, and caught the 9:30 ferry to Whidbey. I cannot believe we were one hour door to island given that it was a Saturday a.m. I think we were the 3rd last car on the boat. Now, I say this entirely for my own self esteem--gray whales are solitary, so they are hard to see. Ahem. No, we didn't find any. But the watching was fun. For a while. So...we blew that popsicle stand and decided to drive off the island the long way (about a 3 hour tour, cue Gilligan) so we could see the tulips. See, I did have a point. And I got there. Tulips.

This shot taken from the car. These were literally the only tulips even mostly out at this time. Because we've been colder than normal, most of the flowers out were daffodils. For which we were indeed also glad.





6. Glad for Little Miss Annie. The kids go to bass and electric guitar lessons at Annie's house each week and her big brother J. teaches them wonderfully--plus...what a great mentor. He's in high school and a believer. Awesome. Annie has her own blog, so I'm okay sharing her name. :)
Anyway...my little friend just turned 6, and she's still recovering from a severe brain injury due to Addison's disease. This is a little known disease which affects the endocrine system. Unfortunately, despite having the best parents in the world, her Addison's got so severe (as it was undetected despite Mom's concerns about having a tan daughter--one of the side effects) that she seized herself into respiratory arrest 2 years ago. You can read her story here (in the sidebar). We are all waiting on God to heal Annie. And I know He will, in His timing. I don't know if it'll be here or in Heaven, but I believe He loves her and that she will be well someday. For now, we read Dr. Seuss together when the kids have a lesson. Or sometimes I sing to her. Or duck away as she throws a book or two at me. Yay for arm strength! I'm glad for this time that I can play with her, chat with her mom, and possibly even give her mom a second or 2 to start dinner.

5. Whew! Ran out of pictures. Glad about that. :) They're tedious to post. Hopefully not as tedious to view.
4. Glad it's Monday. I needed a new mercy in the worst way today. Had some not so bright parenting moments yesterday. We rallied, and God is always good. Unfortunately, I often step in His way.
3. Glad that next Saturday, we get to do a community service project for Big's work. All the offices in the corporation are doing a volunteer work day, and I'm glad of it. I believe we're doing yard clean up for an area psychiatric hospital. Yes, the kids are included, too.
2. Glad I get to look forward to a massage on Wed. My 40th present from Big is monthly massages. Me likey. Might take the edge of Mommy's moodiness. They'll likey. :)
1. Glad to be checking in with all my peeps over the blogosphere today. As Kellie says, you're real friends (I'm probably paraphrasing), despite the fact that I haven't met many of you.
Have a great week!

Photobucket

18 comments:

Denise said...

Really enjoyed the pictures sweetie, love you.

Carpool Queen said...

Oh my - a full plate of gladitude today, complete with pictures! I don't know what to do or where to start.

First, I shall begin with the small dog. I had a dachsund named Zorro and to this DAY I cannot see one without smiling and thinking of my little skipping dog (he skipped when he ran - funniest thing).

And I love tulips, and I have a blue plate as well that I made that says "I'm so proud of you". I need to pull it out more often. I need to praise them more. Even if it's the little things.

And thank you for ministering to that Mom by reading to her daughter. It ministered to me to see you do that as well.

Anonymous said...

I know it was a lot of work uploading all those pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. I almost feel like I got to do all of those things, too!

Suzanne said...

LOVED the pictures! Your gladitude Mondays always brighten my day and I could sure use that right now!

Love ya friend!

Michelle C said...

So glad for the tulip pictures. Tulips are my absolute favorite! They brought such a smile to my world today.

Shanda said...

I absolutely loved the tulip and daffodil pictures! Such a gorgeous backdrop as well! It makes me wonder what kind of beauty heaven will possess when there is such beauty to be had here on this earth...

While I know you didn't post the photo of you and your little friend for accolades; girl, you totally rock. I am sure that it means so much to Annie that you are willing to read and to be the target of books with her daughter.

The "blue plate" idea was awesome too. We may have to make our own special plate.

Much love friend! Enjoy the fresh mercy each day/week brings!

Tiffani said...

ack. the pics are tedious, aren't they?? However--I loved your pics!!!

The doggies were cracking me up, your kids could NEVER deny that they are siblings, the carpet looks like the stuff in my new house--friese??, your hubby is so cute, the eggs look eggy and that pic of you and Annie should be in a frame!

Loved the glads today, my sweet friend!

Amber said...

Loved the pictures!!

And how cute are the dogs with their toys. I could eat them with a spoon.

And tulips...perfection.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Sorry for the 'purple', loved the tulip festival photos but loved more the expression on your sons face while attending said tulip festival. Closely resembles many photos taken of our son on similar jaunts.

Becky said...

What a great list of Gladitudes! Your carpet look FAB, that blue plate special is a wonderful tradish, the tulip photos are AMAZING and I love the person you all are the more helping out with little Annie so her mom could get dinner going.

Oh, and that monthly massage thing? GREAT idea. I might have to hint broadly to Jeff, though, lol.

Oh, and it does look pretty sure that we'll be in WA from about the 17th of July until August 1st...any chance of meeting up somewhere in there?

Jackie said...

Tedious to look at? Never! Not when you show us your beautiful kiddos, and those gawgeous tulip fields. Wow.

I have never had a massage. I would love to get one, and in fact I have a gift card that I've carried around with me for a year to a nice spa in town. But I am not sure if I can get up the nerve to do it....what's up with that?

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love your blue plate special idea!!!!

And the tulips, and the carpet, and the dogs, and your family pics!!!

Gretchen said...

Becky, I hope you come back to see...I've lost your email, and I know it's more obscure than "Becky", so email me, and we'll talk July/Aug. We're going to MT the first part of your trip, but should be around after that. ;)

Dawn Bibbs said...

GREAT post! BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! You're an inspiration to me. Thanks for such an uplifting and encouraging post (and blog).

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh - you're LOCAL!!!!

Shanda linked to your guest post today - loved it.

We were trying to head up for the tulip festival, but a sick kiddo changed the plans.

I love Langley - isn't that place a terrific little treasure?!

Good to "meet" you!

Brandy said...

Great post - and I LOVE me some pictures. I don't think they are excessive at all!! So jealous of your kids for the guitar and bass lessons, and totally loving seeing you minister to the little girl, and her mom.

Your kitchen (what I could see of it behind your fabulous egg dyers)is very nice too.

Lord bless you!

Anonymous said...

This was such a great post. All the pictures ARE fun to look at. I love that your befriend Annie so her mama can have a break. I am sure Annie looks very forward to your visits.

And I love the tulip festival and the daffodils. I remember growing them both when we lived in Illinois. But they won't grow in Florida :(

I sure hope you have a wonderful week. Thanks for coming over to see me :)

Julie said...

Looks like you've been up to alot of fun... I've been out of sorts with my blog visiting... but today I'm catching up... I'm glad to have the time to be here with you today.. Loved the pictures... all of them...

The tulips are amazing... God's beauty is stunning.

Hope you are doing well..

Love ya!