Thursday, April 16, 2009

True confessions...a bonus post.

I've been a grump today. And yesterday. And it's really not necessary, so I'm stopping now. Just thought I'd make that announcement over the worldwide web. If you've been reading for any length of time God be with you , you realize that I'm not a lover of the exercise. But when all you can do is either be sequestered near your computer, or take the dogs and the boy for a walk, you...do both. Especially since it's.not.raining.




On my walk, I had a little Gretchen to God talk. Here's an excerpt, but before that: an epiphany. Wait for it. God is good all the time. Whether I'm having a good day or a cruddy day. Whether I have allergies or dinner planned, or good hair. He IS GOOD. Amen.




As I walked in the sunshine...I thought:




Lord, it smells so good, but these blooming trees make my nose run and my eyes water.




Thank you for my nose and my eyes.




Lord, all the pounding today with the carpet installation is really loud. I have hypersensitivity to sound and can't habituate any of it. Sounds like bullets to me.




Thank you for my ears, and my hypersensitivity. That I may hear what You would deem important, and be empathetic to others with sensory needs. Thank you for my house and thank You for your provision, which includes our carpet.




Lord, I don't love to exercise or pick up dog poop while doing so, but...




Thank You that my legs, arms, and hands work. And thank You for this wonderful duo of companion animals. I don't know what I'd do without them.




Lord, sometimes I have to pull up my big girl panties and do things I don't want to do, and I get very grumpy and act very put-upon.




Thank You for purpose and meaning in my life. Thank You that Your truth isn't based upon my whims.



Thank You for my senses, for my body, for my life. Thank You for loving me in spite of myself. In spite of the grumpy, entitled, spoiled behavior for which I now repent. I'm sorry, God. Please forgive me. In Jesus' name. Amen.








Photobucket

16 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Oh dear, and I just told Meredith to go ahead and whine before I came and read this. I may need to go amend my remarks...or send her here....I'm sure she's on her way.

Take those thoughts captive!

And if you can't, then laugh at my word verification "liffybra"....for those times you need a little extra oomph....

Adventures of Laura said...

Beautiful post. I needed this today...

Shanda said...

God & I have those kinds of conversations too...it's hard to just complain to God isn't it? Easy to complain to ourselves and others though.

Glad for the glimpses of sunshine and inspiration!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Okay, you're right...I needed to hear this.

Thanks for the snow Lord, it means green is on the way.

Denise said...

Such an awesome post.

Suzanne said...

Amen, sister!

I think you sent the rain here. It's raining cats and dogs and I'm out in a portable building doing my ISS duty. I'll be reminding myself of this post when I have to walk back into the building (without my umbrella!)..lol. Praying that my hair doesn't get fried!

I didn't get a cool word like liffybra for my verification..I got "broge". Hmmphh!

Still, God IS good ALL the time! :)

Sing4joy said...

Right there with you Gretchen. My life is so blessed and yet I am cranky. I don't deserve one second of God's goodness and yet it is ALWAYS there. Glad your carpet is getting installed. I pray it be speedy, correct and the quietest carpet installation completion ever!

Jackie said...

Preach it, girl! I had a very similar talk with Jesus yesterday - I had nothing but complaints rolling around in my head, and He kept reminding me of all I had to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

Look at you getting your gladitude on today! :)

Becky said...

SOOooooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOO True.

All that to say...I needed this little talking-to today, because I can be a whiney-baby sometimes.

Thanks for your honesty.

My WV was wonquele. I think that might be an instrument in the same family as the ukelele...

Unknown said...

So glad I am behind in my blog reading! I needed to read this this morning...was going to let insomnia ruin my morning...instead I think I'll get outside and enjoy some time with the Lord.

I also have very acute hearing and loud, repetitive noises make me insane...but I am thankful I can hear!!

Brandy said...

I'm sure that I am behind the times, but I love your new blog look!

good stuff, made me smile. =-)

the voice of melody said...

I think it's wonderful how you turned things around. Sometimes it helps to put things into perspective, doesn't it?

Mindy said...

HI there. I came by way of the top 100 christian family blogs and wanted to say hello!
I love this post. Thanks for the wonderful reminder!

IN hIM -
Mindy

John said...

God's never told me to put on my big girl panties, but he has said "cowboy up."

Glad you recovered. It's truly beautiful when we come to our senses via our senses...

Grace,

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post that I needed to read today...Love your blog...am still a new blogger, but would love for you to drop by for a visit.