Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Review: Misplacing God (and finding Him again)

Edited: Only very imperfect and embarrassed people would leave out the last name of the author whose book they review. Heim. It's Joanne Heim. Thank you.

Truth: I heart God so much and want to know His word and will for me.
My Reality: I spend about 10% of my day really giving God His "due" in the form of reading, praying, and meditating upon the Word. And I want to change this.

Truth: I am so stinkin' grateful that He waited patiently for me to come around and that He is a gentleman. He may be jealous of all that takes me from Him, but He always forgives. Always loves me, and always wants me. Even when I don't feel lovable or wanted.
My Reality: I don't want to be a poser. I want to run with enthusiasm this race set out before me, by keeping my eyes on the One who has authored and perfected my faith. (paraphrasing Hebrews 12: 1-2)

Truth: You don't get from here to there without deciding to move and then following through.
My Reality: This book was a real encouragement in helping me get my bearings and follow through with my heart's desire, which is to know Him better and abide in Him more each day. Finding spiritual mentors is an excellent way for me to grow in Him.

And now...the review: I have been a reader of Joanne's blog, The Simple Wife, for about 9 months, I would guess. I had also previously read one of her other books, Living Simply: Choosing Less in a World of More. I enjoyed her ideas and insights thoroughly in both blog and book, so when I had the opportunity to review Misplacing God (and finding Him again) I lept at the chance. I am drawn to Joanne's blog because she's a woman who is mature in her faith, and because she's living her faith anew each day, amidst two children, Seminary, a marriage which is healthy, but which has had it's share of ups and downs, and her writing. In short, she's a woman who juggles much. But she intentionally and purposefully juggles. She juggles her life with her eyes firmly affixed to the prize of Jesus. Yes, she crafts and leads Brownies, and cares for her home and family, and has great hair and sewing skillz, but she's first and foremost, a daughter to the King. Which keeps me from being a hater of all her above skillz. Ahem. I digress.

Her book, MGAFHA, focuses on the fact that even "mature believers" can lose their intimacy with and zest for God. I don't believe it's something we try to do, or even realize we're doing, but it happens all the same. Maybe we're grumpier than we'd like to be. Maybe we're increasingly overwhelmed and don't know why...whatever the symptom, in the business of life, God gets shoved to the perimeter of our lives.

Joanne answers this dilemma with Scripture-led grace. The book is short--right around 150 pages, and can be read all at once, or as a devotional of sorts, chapter by chapter. I say this because Joanne is very conversational throughout, sort of like someone chatting over coffee about how we might be tripped up, and how to find our way back to God. She leads into each chapter with relatability from her own life's experiences, and urges us to examine our own life. She asks questions which urge us to take stock of what's working for us and what's not. To move from our comfort zones if needed in order to draw nearer to God. To notice how we can invite Him into our lives all day long. Every day.

The subject of "quiet time" is given its due. Lovingly so. The goal being rest and refreshment in Him, rather than crossing another should off the list. She describes the commitment to quiet time as being awkward at first--much like any new habit. And then...the commitment becomes a need, and the need becomes met in reality.

That's what I want.

I'm learning. Plodding along, step by step in this growing relationship with God.

Thank you, Joanne, for your example of trust and faith.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Thanks, Gretchen, for your super kind words!

And gotta say, not so much crafting going on around here these days as I've had to let some things go in order to pursue seminary. I just can't do it all, and frankly, I don't want to! It's too stinkin' exhausting!

Still looking forward to meeting face to face someday soon!

Joanne

Carpool Queen said...

"You don't get there from here...without following through"

It's one thing to say it, but another to do it. I've been recommitting to my quiet time this last week, and what a difference it has made to feed my soul.

Denise said...

Awesome post my friend, love you,

Tiffani said...

such truth. I loved this.

Jackie said...

Me too, Gretchen - that's what I want. How I needed this encouragement!

Susie Q said...

What a wonderful post Gretchen! I loved every word...all so true. You have a way with words that few do and I am so blessed by posts such as these.

Love,
Sue