Thursday, April 9, 2009

10 on the 10th, Baby!

My Top 10 Favorite TV Shows During My Growing Up Years:

  1. Sesame Street: How can you not love a show which began the same year you were born?
  2. Mr. Rogers Neighborhood: Hi Neighbor! This man seriously filled a void in my life with all his "You're great just the way you are!" and "No one is just like you.". How I cried when he died. And...wasn't surprised to know at all that he was an ordained pastor.
  3. Charlie's Angels: Who did not want to be Jill, Kelly, or Sabrina at one time or another? We played it on the playground in 3rd grade.
  4. Happy Days: Aaaaayyyyy! I so hearted Fonzie. And Richie, too. Till he bailed. I liked it even through the Jumping the Shark and Ted McGinley. I had posters of him.
  5. Mork and Mindy: Nanoo Nanoo. Shazbutt. I know Mr. Williams had a teensy problem the cocaine and all...but I lurved that show. Even though I know it was filmed in CA, the fact that it was set in (a very conservative--read: not realistic) Boulder, CO thrilled me, since I was being raised in Fort Collins. And didn't we all love Mindy's front hair pigtails? I received rainbow suspenders for my 10th b'day--back when rainbows were just colorful.
  6. The Love Boat: Come on! You know you lurve the show of the has-beens. My hubby preferred Fantasy Island (on the same night--at my bedtime), but I was all about Captain Steubing and the gang. Again...our social director had a bit too much off camera socializing, but the show was schlock at its best. I had a little crush on Doc.
  7. The Waltons and Little House on the Prarie: They were really the same show--just a few generations apart from one another. How I mourned the death of my other TV dad, Michael Landon. Gimme some Adam or Manly or John Boy any time of the day. Bring it.
  8. The Facts of Life: Oh, yeah...can you hear that tune? The angst of big hair and living with Blair in an exclusive boarding school. And ooooh, the dirty girl--Jo. She was kewl.
  9. M*A*S*H: To this day, I enjoy the episodes. Even the whiny Alan Alda still holds up over time. Henry was one of my favorites. And BJ. But what was up with the color of Margaret's hair over the years???
  10. The Carol Burnett Show..."I'm so glad we've had this time together..."

This brings me to my secret and rare talent: I can sing all TV tunes of the 70s and 80s. Some of the 60s, too. Wish I could record myself on You Tube! Not really. But I can. And if I don't know the words, I definitely know the tune.

Runners up: Welcome Back, Kotter; Laverne and Shirley; Three's Company (both on after Happy Days); Trapper John, MD; Dallas; Knot's Landing; Family Feud with Richard Dawson; Ryan's Hope; All My Children; Days of Our Lives;and General Hospital. What can I say? I was a latchkey kid after 2nd grade. ;)

Thanks, Mer for hosting this fun meme.

Photobucket

21 comments:

Kendra said...

I must admit that I still have my actual licensed Mork and Mindy suspenders at my parents house. One day they will be cool again!

And I'd vote for Manley any old day. What a pioneer hottie!

Denise said...

Wow, I loved all of those shows.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

good old Sesame Street with that wonderful big bird

dont remember Charlies Angels or Welcome Back, Kotter although apparently I watched them

Happy days wasnt that cool!!!

The Waltons, Little House on the Prarie and MASH such wonderful classics

I LOVED Three's Company

Days of Our Lives I remember my mother watching this

do u remember Taxi or Hill Street Blues those were good too I reckon

Jen http://romans1513.wordpress.com

Tami said...

Great list...definitely takes me back to my growing up years.

Stephanie said...

I just showed my girls their first Little House episode (after reading one of the books) and they were enchanted with Laura and Mary. Fun list!

Becky said...

With the exception of MASH, I totally loved those shows as a kid.

Somehow, in spite of the fact we didn't even have a TV in our home growing up, I still managed to see nearly all of those shows (probably while babysitting, lol).

Michele said...

I watched all of these too except Mork and Mindy . . . just a little before my time!! Great post!

His Girl said...

me too! me too! except for MASH- I never did get that show then. I'd be willing to try again, though.

Fun 10 on the 10th.

Susie Q said...

What fun! I well remember each one of these shows! I still love Sesame Street and watch it even when it is just ME here!
Sunny day, chasin' the clouds away...

Happy Easter to a very special woman, a very special family!

Love,
Sue

Unknown said...

Mr Rogers Neighborhood was definitely my favorite..I'd come home every day and watch it after school.

And we are proud owners of every episode of every season of MASH...a gift to my hubby while he was deployed to Iraq.

And I actually met Blair (Lisa Whelchel) a few years ago...she was our guest speaker at a women's event our church hosted and I played host to her...making sure she got where she needed to be at the right time...she's super nice in person!

Loved reading your list!!

Jenster said...

Great list! I loved all those shows. I would have to add Zoom, too, though.

Hubbi, frabends!

Tiffani said...

Okay, I love this list...BUT, I'm a little sad that "Fame" didn't make the list!

I loved Mork and Mindy and Love Boat too but also, Fantasy Island!!!

I Love the 10 on 10th--everyone is so creative!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

I have to agree with your list with the exception of The Waltons. I can't explain why I didn't like that show. It always made me sad for some reason. I would have to sub Laverne & Shirley. Also, not a fan of Mr. Rogers. The puppets kinda freaked me out! I would sub Charles in Charge.

Angie said...

Oh, how I enjoyed this list! I agree with everything you put even the ones at the end. Except I totally missed Mork and Mindy. My family moved overseas in 78 and the country we moved to never showed that show. I feel that I'm missing a huge piece of American culture!!! :-)

I must be 2 years older than you because we played Charlie's Angels on the playground in the 5th grade! We always fought over who would be Jill.

I had completely forgotten about Trapper John, M.D.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Carpool Queen said...

This is such delicious goodness that I don't even know where to begin.

Mr. Rogers? I made my toddlers watch the last show and I freaked them out when I cried. I cannot put on a sweater without thinking of him.

Mork and Mindy? Who doesn't love a little nanu-nanu in their lives. And I wanted Pam Dawber to be my celebrity big sis.

DOC!!!! On the Love Boat. Yes, I had the same crush and didn't remember it until you mentioned him here.

I'm glad you mentioned Laverne & Shirley. I would also add to your list I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.

Because I really want to twitch my nose and get this house picked up.

Anonymous said...

Sesame Street? Taught me how to read. I wish it hadn't jumped the shark. Mr. Rogers? The first man besides my dad that I truly loved. Wept like a baby when he died. And all the rest? I was watching TV right with ya! Remember when the Ingalls family moved and left Mr. Edwards. Cried my little eyes right out of my head. You had a crush on Doc on Love Boat? I was madly in love with Gopher. I wanted the guy who cut my hair to make my hair like Blair's on FofL. He just stared blankly. I could obviously go on and on and on and on.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Awesome!

I grew up with SUPER STRICT parents who wouldn't let me watch some of those shows (MASH, Love Boat, etc) but I loved a lot of the same ones.

Remember Silver Spoons? Different Strokes? Punky Brewster? Webster? Mr. Belvedere? I loved those too.

Shanda said...

Oh that is a flashback!! I have the greatest picture of my sisters and I pretending to be "Charlies Angels" guns drawn and all! ;) Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Have a wonderful Easter!!

Jennifer said...

Great list! I remember them all well. I loved Love Boat........who didn't want to be a cruise director! LOL

I also liked One Day at a Time, Brady Bunch (loved Friday night TV), and Cosby Show! :)

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Most of these were favorits of mine as well! I'm enjoying watching the Little House on the Prairie shows with my kids now.

Suzanne said...

I could've written almost this exact post. Yup, I was a latchkey kid too. There's only one problem..why is Days of Our Lives in the place of One Life to Live??? I still tape and watch OLTL every day and I cried when two of the stars from way back died within days of each other recently.

I played Charlies Angels with my friends Lisa and Linda in 6th grade. Lisa had blond hair, so she always got to play Jill. Linda and I, the brunettes, took turns playing Kelly and Sabrina.

I also mourned the death of Michael Landon. I so wanted him to be my dad. It was also made tougher to take by the fact that my favorite grandpa (not biological and a lot younger than grandma!) died at about the same age from the same type of cancer.

As for The Facts of Life, Lisa Welchel is from here in Dallas and I thought it was so cool that we used to go to church with her (not like I saw her much...it was a HUGE church) and my middle child used to be in the same youth group as one of her kids. I've also heard her speak about her faith before and she was great!

Loved, loved, loved Mash and The Carol Burnett Show!

The only song I can't hear in my head right now from all those listed in your top ten is the one from Mork and Mindy..hmmm, probably gonna go search that one out when I get home..lol

Thanks for the memories!