Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm not ready, Lord...Do you hear me?

This evening, I helped my 10- (11 in June) ager shave her legs for the first time.
We actually had a sweet time of chatting, with me showing her how to do the right pressure, etc., with her shiny new razor.
Ick.
She should be just coming out of her room after her nap, ready for a story.
Not this.
Not yet.
Going to go fall on my sword now. Or watch Dancing with The Stars.
Photobucket

18 comments:

Shelley said...

YIKES!!!!

Unknown said...

OH goodness...it all goes so fast doesn't it?

I still remember shaving my legs for the first time...as a matter of fact I can smell the shaving cream I (stole) borrowed from my dad and a blue disposable razor...sitting on the edge of my tub with Tina, my dear and sweet BFF at the time. I think I was in sixth grade...

Oh sweet memories...

Carpool Queen said...

How sweet that you did it with her!!! I think my mom refused to believe I was growing up and put off the shaving thing with me, so I did it myself....Death by a thousand nicks. Learned to get my own, new razor and not use the dead one from my mom's shower.

Shanda said...

My 1st shaving experience was much like Carpoolqueens! So glad you were there to do it with her...hope you opted for "Dancing With The Stars!"

Tiffani said...

OH MY! I remember getting the tortoise shell personal touch razor..the one you could "hang" in your shower!!

Such a milestone/rite of passage/etc., huh? I know your Mama's heart can't believe it's time for this but you embraced it well....

So, from that to staring a Lil Kim's crazy face...def. a long night hope you had some wine leftover from the weekend!

Barb said...

It takes nerves of steel, doesn't it? Oh, I remember this. I can barely stand to shave my own legs. Actually, I finally wimped out and bought an electric razor. LOL

It's just a crying shame, the way they grow up, you know?

Suzanne said...

:::Sigh::: It's funny the way I didn't understand when people told me "they grow up SO fast"...next thing I knew, I'm closer in number of years to having grandkids than to having little ones myself (did that make sense?).

What Tiffany said about Little Kim's face, I know, right! lol

Anonymous said...

I remember how excited I was when I could finally shave my legs. What was I thinking?

Amber said...

Oh gosh. I'm so sad for you. I'm not ready AT ALL for mine to grow up.

I remember sneaking my big sister's razor when I was about eight. I shaved all the hair off of my arms and then turned it on my legs. I ripped my skin up something fierce. I still hate to shave my legs to this day....probably why I keep gorilla legs for most days in the winter!

Michelle C said...

On my - really? How did you pick 10 for the age to embark on this journey? I want to put it off as long a possible for my sweet girl. But, I also don't want her sneaking around like most.

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Wow, that's scary. But you did it! She did it! Man, ten seems young. By the time my daughter is ready they'll be shaving at 7.

Denise said...

Time flys doesn't it??

Anonymous said...

I understand. My 12 year old started shaving above his lip this year. I was so surprised to see the hair growing there around Christmas time, he also shot up several inches that month. My hubby bought him a shaving kit and they shut the door on me while he taught him. I wasn't allowed in because I was holding a camera.

Go figure

Becky said...

Oh, I hear ya...WHY do they have to grow up so fast?

His Girl said...

oh, don't I know it.

The other day I was waiting on my boy. What are you doing? I yell. Shaving! He yells back.

It's been months now, but for some reason it just hit me that he's a man. *shudder*

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take this step in the near future. Not the legs though...the underarms! YIKES.

How sweet that you did it with her. I remember doing it alone and making a bloody mess of my legs. Ugh.

Cheryl Wray said...

I know....and it just gets harder and harder. Hold on to them as long as you can...and (my trick!) play with them, cuddle with them, have fun with them like little kids as much as possible (even if they're 17!).

Such a sweet post.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oh my, you're a better momma than me. I never taught my oldest daughter to shave her legs. And I can't promise I'm gonna show Jayla either. :-) The women in my family were blessed with not so hairy legs. Ok, maybe that was just me that was blessed with that. THEREFORE, I never have had to shave my own legs. THEREFORE, I didn't didn't find it necessary to teach my eldest. Maybe Jayla can teach me when she gets older...I can see the hair on her 7 year old legs already, ARGH!!! :-)