Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm Feeling A Little Julie Andrews-ish...



Here...in no particular order are some of my favorite things. I'd love to hear some of yours, too. Blessings!


1. Mmm...Honey Crisp apples. No, they're probably NOT "worth" the $2.49 or so a pound, but they are soooo tasty. Honey crisp is the perfect description. I can't add a thing. I'm always baffled delighted when healthy can taste good. :)

2. Is this picture big enough? :) Most of you know that we've been in a bit o' a valley. Thanks for your prayers--that's another post, but things are better. However, I did something I hardly ever do. I s.p.l.u.r.g.e.d. on the BIG one. The spiced pumpkin candle is so delicious and really makes my house feel homey and welcoming.


3. Well, New England, we're not. But we have such pretty colors this time of year. I am changing my name to Woman-who-drives-a-lot, so while I'm in the car, I really do enjoy God's tapestry. Growing up in CO, I only got to see one color: yellow. The aspen are beautiful, but not plentiful enough for my taste. Here, we get to see all manner of red, brown, orange, and yellow. Breathtaking.


4. My old, tattered Women's Devotional NIV Bible. I bought this one at Wal+Fart about 7 years ago, when I recommitted. How I wish I would've gotten a leather bound copy. Alas, mine is paperback. I so love this book, not only for what I've read, but for the promises I haven't yet read. For my "ah-ha" notes in the margins, and my highlights on the pages. One day, I'd love to have a leather bound Bible presented to me with my name on it. But for now...this is such a great work horse. Love the common-sense devotionals, too.


5. My 2038 Creative Expression Sewing Machine. Alas...I haven't named her yet, because she's only about 6 months, but I'm thinking: Soe. Zoe means life, and Soe can mean "giver of life thru old rags and fabric scraps". Huh? Right? With me?


6. Okay...I drink. There. I said it. In the interest of full disclosure :), I luuuurve this wine. And in even fuller disclosure? It's under $7.00! Woo Hoo! While I don't imbibe every day, when I decide to, this is a treat.


7. Portion control (?)...Ahem...well I'm trying. Specifically, I really love the 63% cacao extra dark chocolate "promises". Don't you love that name? I wonder what's promised? Ideally, one or 2 of these a day curbs my choco-fiending and thus reduces my calories. Plus--they're full of antioxidants. And that's all I have to say about that.


8. Our family's dirty little pleasure: Survivor. The boys strategize, and the girls look at Jeff's dimples enjoy the reward challenges.


9. My dirty little naughty little guilty little pleasure: Private Practice. I think it should be illegal to be as pretty as Kate Walsh is. So not right. ;)


10. Bamboo knitting needles. As one who doesn't love irritating sounds, knitting with these (vs. metal) is a breeze. They feel warm and smooth in my hands, and look pretty, too.














12 comments:

Tiffani said...

Hi Gretchen,
I popped over from Mer's blog and I've enjoyed reading through your posts! I love your favorite things...and share some of them..and your quirks post made me laugh...especially about the craft..you'll have to go to my blog and read my post "Ode to Creativity". I was reminded of it when I read your "quirk"...for your valley..I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm thankful that God is faithful and purposeful...may you be blessed!!!

Tiffani in the Deep South!!

Adventures of Laura said...

I'm a huge fan of Honeycrisp apples too. So yummy! Also love the candle and the gorgeous fall tree. Your sewing machine is awesome - happy creativity!

Diane Meyer said...

Those are excellent apples, no doubt about it.
As for the bible...do youlove the NIV translation, or do you like the others as well, like NLT, or ESV or King James...?

Tracy said...

Right there with you on the chocolate...and the candles...and the colors of fall...and...I guess we have a lot in common. ;o}

Jenn said...

What a fun post - loved reading your favorite things. Our family just found Honey Crisp apples last week, the oldest and I LOVE them!! My favorite Yankee Fall Candle is Harvest. I actually need to buy a new one this weekend. Question about the wine - what kind is it?

Enjoy your weekend! Still praying for you my friend.

Denise said...

Apples, chocolate, and wonderful smelling candles!! I love that Bible, fall colors, and you my friend.

Unknown said...

And you, my friend, are one of my favorite things, too. Miss you dearly!

Susie Q said...

I am enjoying catching up with you sweetie...and those honeycrips jumped out at me! Yummy! : )
You always do the best gratitude and blessing lists. I know you have been down (and I know how that feels!) but you have such a warm and light filled spirit. I know you will get through the rough patches and do so in style.

Love to you all,
Sue

Barb said...

I'm so disappointed you couldn't post a bigger picture of that Yankee candle. And yes ma'am - since I also buy them, I know you splurged. Good grief, they're so expensive but I think they're very worth it.

Soe is perfect - the perfect name for that machine - which I am sinfully jealous of. Sigh.

Julie said...

Gretchen,
Thanks for your visit and your sweet words.....

You made me laugh.....um what devotional????

Hugs!
Julie

Jenster said...

1. YUMMY!!

2. I just bought a spiced pumpkin candle from Target. Makes my kitchen smell delish!

3. Love the fall...

4. I love my NIV, too, but wish it was a leather bound. :o(

5. Soe is brilliant!!

6. Vognier is Chardoney's Sexy Sister (according to my wine book)

7. Dark chocolate is like a multi-vitamin.

8. My fam loves Survivor. I can take it or leave it so I usually read. lol

9. Mine would be Desperate Housewives.

10. Coolio!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

LOVE Honeycrisp apples...and will gladly pay the price for them because they're so totally worth it!

Love the Yankee candle, and LOVE Soe! That made me laugh Gretchen!