Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gladitude Part 2: Thursday Style...

1. Glad that Uncle J. was excited to show of his restored '67 'stang and his Corvette Stingray. He worked on these (probably for sanity's sake) while my aunt was undergoing treatment for breast cancer a few years back. Praise God, she's clear x5 years.

2. Glad that each girl took turns doing the princess wave. Because...why not?
3. Glad for just hangin' out, enjoying simple pleasures. And taking too many pictures.4. Glad for "James Dean". Seeing this bravado is such a blessing given his self-esteem licking of late.
5. Super glad for a same-aged 2nd cousin-once-removed (?) to come play at her grandma's (my great aunt's house) for a sleep-over with Drama girl. They are not quite one month apart in age.

6. Glad for Great Aunt D., a wonderfully supportive friend to Grum. She always hosts us when we come to Iowa, and seems so glad to do it. I know we must tire her out, but after raising 4 kids, and having 6 grandkids to run after, I suppose it's all in a day's work for her. She and Grum are 10 years apart. On the table, you can see the skeins of yarn which Aunt D. painstakingly started and re-started cro-hooking for me. Cro-hooking is like a crochet/knit hybrid; you use 2 different colors for a reversible effect. Ha! I never got past trying to get the 2 colors on correctly! :)

7. Grateful for patience. Though I don't have any. Someone would be patient with her son's umpteenth screwy-faced picture. Oh, well. I guess he's 12.


8. Iowa, beautiful Iowa. You know, I was never glad about being from here as a child. Colorado (and certainly, WA) are much flashier than quiet, corn-fed Iowa. Truth is, though, because the land is so rich and the crops so valuable, it's never going to be as hyper-developed as other less agricultural places. That suits me just fine. A silo in the distance. Corn fields abutted to my Aunt's house (in the middle of Ames, no less). A place where simplicity, family values, and good old fashioned Friday night football games are heralded with more pomp and circumstance than the best of the pros. Yeah, I'm glad for Iowa.
SDG,
Gretchen


16 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Very cute

Cheryl Wray said...

This is a GREAT, GREAT list and I loving the pics of them in the car!!! Those are too cute!

Have a super weekend!

Jenster said...

Love this gladitude series! Will there be more???

Jackie said...

You know, when I lived in Indiana growing up, I could not wait to get out of there. Literally. I ran as fast as I could to "escape". Now that I'm a little older, I get these weird pangs of homesickness, and suddenly realized I wouldn't mind moving back...to the corn fields, to family, to a simpler life.

The picture of the girl doing the princess wave is perfection. :)

Barb said...

I love seeing all these photos. I don't supposed anyone has ever told you your kids are the spitting image of you. LOL

That car is amazing. Rob would probably give up a couple of his table saws for that car. :-)

Unknown said...

Swoon! Luuurve that car!!

And man, your kids are the funniest! So cute!!

Jenn said...

What girl does not dream of being a princess? So glad they were able to be one for a moment. Fun cars!

I enjoyed seeing more pictures of your trip to Iowa. Glad you had such a nice visit.

Enjoy your Saturday evening.

the voice of melody said...

Great pictures! But, "cro-hooking", now you've lost me! Sounds like something way beyond my limited abilities!

MJ

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Love those old cars! It takes such patience to work on something like that..my uncle restores old ford trucks. So much love goes into the details - just like our God working on us! :)

Suzanne said...

Lovely pictures. I especially like the "James Dean" one.

Julie said...

Hey girlfriend,
Thanks for your sweet comment at my blog.

I want to know how to cro-hook. I already know how to crochet....

Love your list and the pictures!
Hugs,
Julie

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I never knew I could be drawn to Iowa...but after reading this, I kinda am.

I am so glad your family had a wonderful visit! This post made me happy!

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

What a fun post, and an excellent commercial for Iowa!

Denise said...

I love this.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

COOL CAR'S

BY BILLY

Sing4joy said...

I'm glad for you. Not FOR you, but for YOU. Is there an accent I can make so you understand the emphasis is that I am glad to have you? Well, have is not the right word. Know? Not really know - yet. Well, I suppose refer to the first sentence then.