Monday, October 6, 2008

Gladitude Monday and an Update

Howdy,

Thank you my friends, for your prayers and well wishes. I'm coming clean today. If you're interested in reading this, you'll probably want a cuppa something and a few extra minutes. I'm not brief.

I'm sharing this not because my 10 person readership needs this information, but because I want to avoid shame at all costs. Our valley has to do with the fact that my son has a really unique learning profile. Many of you have heard of sensory dysfunction and spectrum disorders, PDD, and Asperger's and the like. Many of you have also heard about giftedness. Did you know that giftedness, like the rest of intelligence is on a bit of an exponential scale? I didn't. Well, our David, our beloved gift from God has a top and bottom Bell Curve learning profile, and this has made his educational placement very challenging. About a week and a half ago, it was determined that he was not finding success in his middle school setting. Despite my pre-school-starting meeting with the teachers and all the prep. Sadly, this was determined after only a 3 week trial at school, but I believe that God was merciful in this. David had become the butt of jokes; he had tried so hard to be liked that he was "the funny one", but not in a good way. His teachers couldn't deal with his need for redirection and organizational needs. Also, he was a "distraction to the others", probably due to a medicine change more than anything else... so essentially, we were gently shown the door. I was not a pretty sight at the meeting, hearing all 7 or 8 of his teachers/staff telling me how he did this or that and really wasn't a good fit in this school. I tried. Oh, how I tried to keep back the tears. And, telling my son (with Dad on the phone in China, trying to be as available as possible) that he needed to move forward into a different direction is not something I care to repeat any time soon. "I'm a loser!" "I won't get into any college. " "No one will like me!" "I can't do anything right." Wracking sobs. Real fun.

David has many of the distractibility and sensory issues associated with Asperger's, but doesn't fit that category entirely because his language and metalinguistic skills are off the charts. He gets subtlety. He gets tone of voice, sarcasm, and most of all Monty Python. :) But eye contact is hard. Too much schtuff coming at him. He's able to track a number of things at once, and this is both a blessing and a curse. At times he'll be reading a book and tracking (read: eavesdropping) a conversation--enough so to add a witty remark as he turns the page. He doesn't feel himself "appropriately" in space, so he's a bit bull-in-a-china-shoppish, in addition to being 5' 9" , 180 # and 12. He doesn't like loud noises, and has a pathological fear of fire drills. He's also profoundly gifted. This was described to us beautifully by the neuropsychologist-neurologist who first told David that he was "wicked smart": "It's kind of like that new puppy you have. So much of it is wonderful, but (the puppy) still pees on the floor.". Additionally, being profoundly gifted, compared to mildly gifted is about the same as being profoundly mentally retarded vs. mild retardation. Huge differences in knowledge base and expectations. And lastly...we have dysgraphia. This one almost seems easy when compared to the rest. David has motor planning problems which make writing and, to a lesser degree, typing, difficult. However, I'm going to really pray that he start a blog because I think we all could use a dose of his thoughts on life. He's one of the most compassionate, heart-led human beings I know. And the boy knows history. Any era. Any type. Luuuurves it.

So...as we move forward, I wanted to share that we've found a school which I believe to be a complete answer to prayer. He will have 1:1 classes. He will remain Harvard-bound, if that's what he still wants to do. He'll be in a gentle place where the motto is: "They would if they could." In other words, if they aren't succeeding, there's a reason. As he grows in comfort and self esteem, we'll add some group (8-12 kids) classes. He's accepted for who and where he is. Praise God. That's probably my biggest gladitude: my son has a chance to be happy in school.

If you're still with me, I'll continue with gladitude, briefly. :)

5. My daughter is at Camp Seymour in Gig Harbor for 2 nights and 3 days. She is soooo excited. She lurves nature and mud--and she'll have plenty of each. Also, as this is the first overnight with kids at her new school, I'm thrilled that she has the opportunity to bond in a fun learning experience.

4. Big is home from China. With the groans of my spirit from last week, I was so thrilled to see my better half. I just love him so.

3. I got to spend over 2 hours sewing yesterday! Yay! I finished a little baby quilt for our church (we like to give new wee ones a quilty welcome), and I made (no judging here) neckerchiefs for the hounds in Halloween print. The thread onto the collars, so they stay nicely in place. And yes...they are so darn cute that I will probably make Thanksgiving and Christmas neckerchiefs, too.

2. We had dinner with some dear friends this week at our house. I made lasagna, garlic bread, and a big green salad, and they brought a delectable homemade cheesecake. It was glorious. And the bonus? My kids ate the meal w/o complaint. They've never liked lasagna before (mutants), but somehow they both got over themselves, and even had seconds.

1. When I allow myself to be desperate for my Father--His love never fails me. Oh, how I'm glad for the lesson to hold fast only to faith, and loosely to all else.

SDG,
Gretchen

15 comments:

Denise said...

God sweetly bless you my dear friend. I am lifting David up in my prayers. I am praising God that He lead you to a good school. I love you.

Lalycairn said...

OH my. As the mother of two children with learning challenges, both of who are highly gifted I totally empathise with you. I don't really "get" that whole REALLY smart (my eleven year old has the highest IQ in the school - "I can't help you" deal. I do hope the new school is the perfect answer for both of you, and that David does so exceptionally well it overcomes any biases he may have learned at the old school.
God Bless.

Jenster said...

First thing - I'm so glad Big is home!

Second thing - God knew what He was doing when he gave such an exceptional child to you. You are incredible parents.

Keeping up with the prayers for History Boy and his new school.

Suzanne said...

My heart goes out to you about David's situation. It's so sad to me that kids who don't "fit the mold" are so often just brushed aside. I'm glad you found a school that is a better fit for him. The fact that he and my daughter seem to have some things in common makes me really wish I could meet both of you. God bless your family!

Unknown said...

The heart of a mother breaks with each step their children take, no matter what.

One of my BFF of all times lives in Lake Charles, LA, and her son has Aspergers. He's five and is reading on at least a 5th grade level, among other insane intellectual giftings. They've had a similar situation as you.

Despite the deep, wonga valleys you guys are going through and will likely spend quite a bit of time in, I know that God specifically chose you guys to be mothers to these kids because you yourselves are fighters and advocate for your children. God's using both you and Big in powerful ways, and I can't wait to see what his plan is for David's life.

I love reading blogs about your family -- they really come to life when I've got the mental file of smiling faces to go with it! Love ya, girlie!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm feeling glad just reading your list. SO thankful for David's new school and praying for a smooth transition.

Cheryl Wray said...

WOW!!! Thank you for sharing this story with us!!!! I can only say you are so brave and a hero to so many of us who have never had to deal with these struggles with our children. Your attitude is wonderful and because you are doing the best for your son, I just KNOW that he is going to be a success. He sounds like such a sweet, smart boy... God has a plan for him!!

{hugs}

Barb said...

His reaction to being asked to leave that school was heartbreaking, Gretchen. I'm so glad you found a new school where he'll fit right in and be comfortable being who he is. David sounds like an amazing young man.

Big! But amazing. LOL

Andrea Frazer said...

Gretchen, I am crying for you. I know how hard this must be. I know several people, in fact, going through this. Let me give you a thought that I really think will help David. Despite our world being so techy it's hard to connect, it's also a HUGE blessings for the DAvid's of the world. With the privacy of the screen distracting him from any social issues he might have, he can connect with the words that really empower him. He can meet others who will only see his "soul" as opposed to his packaging. A blog for him, like you said, is great. Any online Asberger's group. A gaming group. Something. I get so so so so angry at schools who encourage ridicule rather than compassion.

Please know that I don't think of David as anything other than the brilliant person he is. He is not weird or socially unfit. He is smart and kind and too good for so many people. God does not make junk.

I am rooting for you and for David. You give him a hug from me. He'll be going through that puberty stuff soon enough and he'll be only too happy to know a six foot double D woman wants to saddle up and give him a huge squeeze of support.

xoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

Me

Angie said...

Wow! What a story. I'm so thankful your son has an awesome mom like you. You described him in a way that we could see the difficulties but also appreciate his incredible gifts.

So glad I found you (came over from Mer's blog.)

Blessings!

Scott said...

Hi there,

I am a lurker who enjoys your blog - your sweet boy will be in my prayers. I work with similar kids in a mental health setting and know the challenges can be huge for child and parents. Sounds like you are doing an amazing job.

Grace Scitt

Tiffani said...

how brave of you to share, Gretchen, and even in a post about gladitude! This is just so fitting after Mer's question yesterday, "why do we enjoy reading blogs"...well, this is perfect...a mother knows a mother's heart no matter where she lives and through blogging/sharing someone in a completely different place/city/state can encourage and be praying for you--and we are admonished in His precious word to do just that!

So, I will lift up David and your family and your heart, as his Mama, that you will be comforted and have peace that passes all understanding through this transition...

Now, on to sewing, I'm so jealous. I started a few years ago..and I've "cheated" on sewing with other craft projects...but I love hearing how others are being oh so faithful to the machine ;)!

Jackie said...

I am so behind on my blog reading, so I am just now catching up with you. I know you've been having such a tough time, but can I just say I admire you for your love and dedication, and that your sweet mother's heart comes through loud and clear? Praying for you, my friend, that your steps will be guided, and that David will find that place where he knows he is loved and accepted. God is going to do something awesome with that boy.

Jenn said...

Thank you for sharing about your family and being so real through this post. I love David's new school motto "They would if they could". Praying for him and y'all as you all make the transition at the new school.

So glad Big is home and I hope your daughter had a great time at camp.

Becky said...

mjAwww, Gretchen...my heart just aches for this difficult journey you are on. But I'm with the others...God knew you would need a son just like him, and he would need parents just like you. And eventually, because you are seeking the Lord's guidance every step of the way...you all will come to the 'destination' that all of this difficult travel was intended for. And it will bring about amazing, never-before-comprehended results that will knock your socks off. (Ephesians 2:10 touches on those things that God prepared in advance for us (and your son) to do...and we know that God is faithful to COMPLETE the good works He's begun in us! PTL!) This too shall pass.

It sounds like this new school will be very beneficial to helping your son to achieve his highest potential unencumbered by the usual crap pubescent boys usually face in school...the things that can really interfere with reaching one's potential because it discourages them before they've had a chance to really begin to shine.

Sending hugs and prayers, friend.

P.S. I know Camp Seymour...I grew up in Gig Harbor (makes me feel wistful).

And thanks for the offer of your guest room. Believe me...it's mighty tempting, lol! This home reno gig isn't for the faint of heart. Also, I did get the e-mail about setting aside the date for next summer. Lord willing, that'll coincide with the end of our vacation there. We shall see!