Thursday, October 30, 2008

Boomama's Souptacular...Green Chili (Chicken) Soup

Souptacular08


This recipe is from my old, tattered and stained copy of Simply Colorado. I received this cookbook during the Christmas of 1993. This can be prepared as stated in the recipe, as a lighter soup, or with chopped, sauteed chicken breast added in for a heartier meal. Of course, it's better the longer it cooks, and/or the 2nd day.



Green Chili Soup



Cooking Spray

1 med onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp dried whole oregano

3 medium boiling potatoes, cleaned adn cute into small cubes

1 (7 oz.) can chopped green chilies

1 (49.5 oz) chicken broth (about 6 c)

3 oz reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded



Coat a 2 quart saucepan with cooking spray; add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes until onion wilts. Stir in cumin and pepper; continue to cook 2-3 minutes or until onion starts to show signs of browning. Add oregano, potatoes, green chilies and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Serve hot with cheese sprinkled into your open mouth evenly over each serving.



Comments: I find this a tad spicy, which I personally love. Just note that if you or your family doesn't like spicy things. We like to eat this with a jalapeno cheddar bread (Krusteaz bread maker boxed goodness) and a salad. Or, let's be honest: lots of cheddar bread and butter. Forget the salad. ;)



For more recipes, head over here.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Yummy in the tummy.

the voice of melody said...

It sounds very good, and I like the mention about the old stained cookbook - those are the best!

When I pull out a recipe or come to a page in a cookbook that has stains on it, I'm reminded that it's a favorite and it was made with love!

:)

Beth Cotell said...

I love green chilies. I am definitely going to have to try this now that colder weather has arrived!

Cheryl Wray said...

This sounds unbelievably good!!! I am adding this to my "to cook" list. Yummy!!!

Andrea Frazer said...

That actually sounds delicious. Happy Haunting.

HDMac said...

Oh.. that sounds like a happy tummy recipe!!!

Jenster said...

Oh yum!! Green chili anything is great. I lived in New Mexico for a bit and that's the home of the best green chilies on the planet!

Jackie said...

Mmmmm-mmmm. This is one of the most popular soups around here, but surprisingly, I have never made it. I think your recipe just inspired me. We love spicy things, too - perfect.

Jenn said...

This soup sounds so comforting on a cold night. Jeremy and I will have to try (don't think the boys will will like it b/c they do not do spicy). I will let you know what we think. Thanks for the recipe.