Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Picking Your Brain...Is Better Than Picking Your Nose

So...if you're not completely offended by my title, please oblige a girl here.

I'm feeling really nest-y. No, I'm not pregnant. In that case, I'd be feeling really horrified. Only because...well...I'm directly in the phase of enjoying other people's infants with a smile and a "here you go", as I hand the beautful bundle of work, blood, sweat, tears and energy, joy back to his/her mom or dad. ;)

Back to nest-y...

What are your fall crafts, recipes, tips, which bring you joy and fun, either alone or with the fam?
I'm talking anything from general fall stuff to Halloween to Thanksgiving, all the way to Christmas. Which, BTW, is only a bit over 2.5 months away. I wouldn't want to wish my fall away, but I sure lurrve me some Christmas.

For instance: Do you make ornaments or fall decor? Do you decorate one room or many? Do you have a favorite fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas treat or recipe or tradition? As i say, either done in solitude or with the hubs and chirrun.

I like to quilt and make smallish (read: doable in one day) crafts for fun and for decor. I also love to have folks over for Saturday dinner. Doing dinner on a Sunday for me seems like a lot of work--even with the crock pot. So, our Sunday dinners are on Saturday. I also am really interested in teaching myself to crochet. I have no idea what I'm going to make, but apparently, working with my hands by typing, knitting, quilting or other crafting is something of which I'm made.

Okay...Is my request clear enough? As mud, clear? Apparently, I'm asking for traditions in any form. And comforts of the seasons.

ta-da. I could be concise. I knew I could.

And then the moment passed and I'm wordy again.

SDG!
Gretchen

14 comments:

Sarah said...

I always decorate for fall. I used to do it on Sept. 15th, but since it's still about 100 degrees then, I backed it up to early October. So I put on my fall music (Celtic Hymns), light a fall candle, and arrange all my fall decorations that I've picked up over the last 10 years.

Call me Scrooge, but I like it better than decorating for Christmas :)

Other than that, I make lots of bread, pumpkin pies, and apple crisp; pretend it's only 60 degrees outside, and crunch on all the leaves I can. I'm a fall girl :)

Denise said...

Thanks for always making me smile. I love fall, and I love the smell of fall all around my apartment. I burn pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, mulled cider, ect candles constantly.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm with Sarah (of course I am, I'm her Mom :-^) who taught me to decorate for seasons rather than holidays as much as possible. I will tell you I learned to crochet and knit and think crocheting is much easier to learn, less awkward. I'm pretty sure I bought the hook, yarn and a little booklet and taught myself. What to make? Potholders since it doesnt matter a whit if they are square or lumpy. I so wish my mother-in-law had made me a few more, I've used the ones she made me for over twenty years and they're a bit ratty. So if you want to make potholders for someone.....I dont care a whit if they're funny shaped and lumpy....

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

OK, I am feeling so overwhelmed today it is not funny so I cannot answer your question...sorry but thinking of decorating makes me break into a cold sweat at this point...but I needed to comment to you somewhere to say that I have had the song free falling in my head since your post about it and I even had to find the video via You Tube and play it a bagillion times. LOL

Tracy said...

I L.O.V.E. Fall! It is my absolute most favoritest season of all.

I usually decorate with mums, hay bales and pumkins outside (this year I haven't got to it yet so all there is, is a lone pumpkin sign with our name on it so far.-how sad ;o( ) I pull out pictures of the kids from harvest days gone by with fallish frames and set them around the house.

We don't celebrate Halloween, so thats out.

I love candles that remind me of fall too.

I guess for fall crafts there is a really cute pumpkin pattern at www.according-to-kelly.com that would be great for kids.

At Christmas we are going to have a home-made Christmas...atleast that's what I am planning on doing. We are going to make our own tree decorations ;o} I will post pictures and ideas (disasters) ;o}on my blog.

Susie Q said...

Well, you know me! I love Fall...am obsessed about it actually...and I decorate for it BIG time. I love the colors, the smells, the natural beauty of it all.
Grace and I are going to make a pumpkin village this year. She tried the first one out of a tiny pumpkin. It is drying up but she did such an amazing job! We saw the idea in a magazine. I am going to post a picture of her creation. We will be carving several sizes of them at the end of the month and adding lights in each one for night.

She and I decided to try and make most of our Christmas cards this year. I used to but got out of the habit. She wants to draw pictures on cards and add ribbon and such. We just thought it would be fun to do together in November.

And I LOVED your title!! : ) made me smile and I needed one tonight!

Love,
Sue

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Why hello! I love fall, too. I bought three little pumpkins this afternoon (one per child) and set them out on the front stoop. They thought it was very exciting (they are 4, 3, and 1). Tomorrow I plan on pulling down all my fall decor and setting it out. Maybe I'll get around to pictures, we'll see.

Oh, and tonight I made all of us here for my mom's b-day my version of Starbucks' Pumpkin Spiced Lattes. Divine.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I agree with everyone else...baking and decorating are fun this time of year. I like it better than Christmas too. I'm not crafty, so no projects for me.

I do like making caramel corn and soup and pumpkin bread though!

Cheryl Wray said...

Fall is a wonderful time of year! I really haven't done much Fall decorating around here, but now that it's actually starting to get a little bit cooler (down South, it usually takes a while! lol) I need to do some.

I have already been baking more, which is one of my fave things about Fall.

Tomorrow, I think we may go visit the local pumpkin patch. That's always fun.

And we love Halloween. All five of us dress up--oftentimes in matching costumes. (We're sorta goofy!)

Gary and I were just talking today about Christmas. Think I'm going to start doing some shopping next week.

Have a GREAT weekend!!

Jenn said...

Our Fall decorations are usually up from September through Thanksgiving. We are really behind this year - we are decorating this weekend.

Fall traditions - pulling out soup recipes and burning yummy fall smelling candles throughout the day. Because we have such hot summers we actually start having more family time outside in the fall. I enjoy our walks as a family. I like to bake pumpkin bread and share with friends and family.

I am with you since Fall is my favorite season I do not want it to leave but talking about Christmas is making me so excited! We LOVE Christmas at our house. "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

I could go on and on about the stuff we do at Christmas. I love making food gifts for family and friends. For teachers and friends I make paper craft gifts. I also always look forward to making our Christmas cards every year. As a family we enjoying decorating the house the day after Thanksgiving.

Jenster said...

I've been terribly lacksidazical about decorating or doing any crafty-type things for the last three+ years. I just haven't cared. But I'm starting to want to care. It's a beginning...

BTW - Have your ears been burning? Your name has been mentioned multiple times in the past several days. And always with a huge smile!

Tracy said...

Hi....pop over to my blog, I tagged you ;o}

Unknown said...

I decorate for fall because I love to, Christmas b/c I feel I have to. During the spring and summer, I'm doing well to keep linens clean and dust eradicated.

And don't get me wrong -- I love Christmas, but decorating a needly tree can be really frustrating for me. However, I love the smell of a real tree. :)

Kelly said...

I love fall decorating- so cozy.The first cool Friday evening my husband is at a football game without us, my daughters and I have popcorn, hot spiced apple cider, and decorate the porch and house.
Mums, bales of hay, and pumpkins for the porch, and inside my pumpkin spice candle burns until December 1, when I switch to the peppermint for Christmas:-)

Have been catching up on your posts, and I am so glad your husband is home, and you have found what sounds like a wonderful school for David. My heart ached for you, as I read about your meeting with the school... what a painful thing to enure. What a blessed child, though, to have the love and support of parents who keep searching for the right situation, and encourage his gifts.
I'll be praying for you.