I traveled to Iowa this past weekend (Fri-Mon) to see my grandma, or "Grum", as I call her. We stay with her brother and sister-in-law when we go because Grum lives in a tiny apartment. We had a wonderful time, visiting with relatives, and eating waaay too much good old Midwest cooking. Though it was super to see everyone, Grum is now old. Somehow, it just happened, seemingly overnight. She's still, at 82, not all grey-headed, but she's old. She's always been the "young" grandma, since she was 43 when I was born. Well, now I'm nearly 40, so I guess she had to get old sometime. Her knees give her constant pain, and she's got the endurance of a gnat. Which wouldn't surprise me of any 82 year old, but THIS 82 year old was so capable, so indelible. She lived with my mom and me in CO from the time I was twelve until I was 24 and no longer living at home with Mum and Grum. What an influence she's been. I told her so many things I couldn't quite tell my mom when I was a teen. Of course, I know she told my mom. But it was nice to at least assume the confidentiality for the moment. She's been a balm to my spirit--and I to hers, I hope--since my mom died, nearly 10 years ago at age 54.
So...a visit to Grum is also a visit to mom's brothers and their wives and significant others. And the cousins! Oh, the first and second cousins were enough to make Drama Girl need to draw out her own family tree. On my side alone, it's confusing enough. What with all the divorces, deaths, and living-togetherness. Ah...such is life, right? At any rate, this Tuesday edition of gladitude will feature the trip to Iowa.

1. Glad we stay with my great aunt and uncle in their comfortable, low-key home. Days are spent visiting,
2. Glad that David found something he loved to do while at my Uncle J.'s and Aunt D.'s. Normally, he hates noise. I think we've figured out that if he can control the noise, though, he's golden. Also doesn't hurt that the motor vibrates, thus feeding his tactile sensory needs very well. We spent all day on Saturday at their house, catching up with all my cousins and watching the kids run around--or in this case, ride around. Didn't hurt that the local football game was on in the man cave covered patio, and there was plenty o' chips, pulled pork sandwiches, icy malt beverages, and 25 million kinds of cookies. It was awful. Torture. ;)

3. Glad I know where I'm going when I die because my safety might've been in jeopardy. :) Do you see the other "vehicles"? Usually, Cinderella and/or Sleeping Beauty were driving those. And those princesses were NOT afraid to bump us. Before you shudder too much, I'll share that the blades were up. Nothing but fun and a total waste of precious gas.

See what I mean about the dangerous princess drivers? And, of course Drama Girl will not be out done on the riding mower. That's okay. David neededanother a snack break.
This is called "taking one for the team", which is one of the things I so appreciate about Big. Not only that, but he was, at that very minute coming down with the crud. This picture is the last documented time we see him upright for the remainder of the trip.

3. Glad I know where I'm going when I die because my safety might've been in jeopardy. :) Do you see the other "vehicles"? Usually, Cinderella and/or Sleeping Beauty were driving those. And those princesses were NOT afraid to bump us. Before you shudder too much, I'll share that the blades were up. Nothing but fun and a total waste of precious gas.

See what I mean about the dangerous princess drivers? And, of course Drama Girl will not be out done on the riding mower. That's okay. David needed
This is called "taking one for the team", which is one of the things I so appreciate about Big. Not only that, but he was, at that very minute coming down with the crud. This picture is the last documented time we see him upright for the remainder of the trip. 4. Glad it's just a bad, bad cold, and am so thankful for our health.

5. Grateful and so very glad for this visit. This is only a fraction of our family, but it's a great start. See if you can pick me out. I'll give you a hint, I'm right by a guy I often call "Big". Wonder why? Great Grum is in the center on the swing.
6. Glad for this incredible woman who has probably influenced my life at least as much as my own mother. Glad for her no-nonsense, highly opinionated, nearly-always-right comforting countenance. So glad she's still here. Selfish, maybe--but true.
More later...if I can just get one more load of laundry done, clean one more tub, make one more menu plan...Bible reading...you understand.
SDG!
Gretchen
7 comments:
pleased you had a great time with the extended family
it would have been great fun on those ride on lawn mowers - Ive never been on one
bless your Grum
Jen
I know JUST how you feel about you Grum aging...I have always thought that my grandparents were sort of ageless, but now that they have hit their 80's, suddenly I notice all of these signs that yes, they are definitely getting older.
Loved the pictures of you all on the John Deere...makes me homesick for my daddy and his tractors. :) So glad you got to have a great family reunion.
Hi Gretchen- Looks like a wonderful weekend! Great pictures of your family.
Your Grum sounds like a very special person. How wonderful that you had all those years of day to day life with her in your home. I am so glad you had time with her this weekend.
I hope your husband is feeling much better. Everyone else healthy?
Hi! Back in Bloggyville again and catching up. SOOOO glad you got to go visit your Grum.
My grandma (who also lived with our family for several years while growing up) died a couple of years ago at 92 and I still miss her somethin' fierce. Visit all you can while you can, I say.
P.S. Riding the tractors and playing 'bumper cars' looked like fun!
What a huge grin this put on my face. I don't know that there's anything better on this side than hanging out with a big family!
What a fun trip!!! I love how you described your Grum, and I'm thankful for her influence in your life. I love the pics on the John Deere...we used to do that at my grandmother's house with my cousins. SO much fun!
Glad you had a nice time dear.
Post a Comment