Sunday, October 26, 2008

Gladitude Monday


Thanks, friends, for the encouragement re: Gladitude Mondays. I never meant for them to be a series or a staple of my blog, but I'm so g.l.a.d. that they've become that. The day I can't remember a thing for which to be grateful is a day I don't wish to think about!

10. Glad for my visiting well-wishers! I have been a bit down and out with "the crud", and while it's no huge deal, I wanted to whine a bit, and needed some sympathy. So thank you! You made me smile. My head is still heavy, and I'm a bit achy, and I sound just.beautiful.,but I've no doubt I'll be in driving, cleaning, and cooking shape a.s.a.p.

9. Glad for a hubby who--not intuitively so, but asking for direction and that's OK!--is picking up the slack for me. I can drive, but I hate to, so he's off picking up our DD from a party.


8. Re: #9...It took me about 10 years of being married before I realized that men and women were made differently and thus worked differently. For example, I'd be so incensed when we were having people over for dinner, and the apartment was a mess and Big would come into the kitchen saying, "Is there anything you want me to do?" What? Are.you.kidding.me? Look.around! It took me a long time to realize that giving him a list and/or being very up front with my expectations wasn't nagging--it was something concrete for him to hold onto. Talk about an a-ha moment. I'm still here, wishing he would/could read my mind and anticipate my needs because I'm such a flawed human. But...when I remember to give him a list and ask him nicely to do things, voila! He does them! Happily. I'm so GLAD I figured this out.

7. Glad I was sick on a weekend so I could rest. Even though I missed choir :( and worship team :(, I am glad I stayed home and kept my germs to myself. Drama has been getting me all manner of tea, inhalers, and books, so I feel well-nursed.

6. Glad I finally got this cro-hooking thing down...I think. I'll post a picture soon. Right now I'm making a hat in Denver Broncos colors for my nephew.

5. Glad that Big and I finally sent "the letter" about cutting back for Christmas to his parents. This was so hard. We don't want to hurt feelings, but our kids have been getting waaay to much and, thus have been focusing their hearts (who can blame them?) away from Jesus and others during the holiday season. Of COURSE we'll do presents. But honestly, one or 2 from grandma and grandpa and the rest in savings will not kill them.

4. Glad that we just spoke to Big's folks, and they are on-board with the above. Feelings don't appear to be hurt.

3. Glad that when Big is home, he often drives Drama Girl to school. Especially glad today because that means I can blog and then go to bed. I did pull my big girl panties on and make her lunch, though. :) Even wrote a lunch note. But I'm done.

2. Glad I have a little dachshund who feels entitled to read my Bible with me. Ahem...well, at least he jumps up on the chair and hunkers in. Bless the beasts and the children, man.

1. Glad I'm down 9/10s of a pound even tho my last 3 meals have included ice cream. But hey...I'm watching my portion size. ;)
Bonus glad: I realize that much of this post centers around my little cold/virus/crud. I am so very grateful that this blip in the road is just that for me. My family and I are (suddenly, I don't know how to conjugate the previous verb) healthy people. My heart goes out to those with chronic illness and those whose children have chronic illness. Please pray for them.
SDG! Gretchen

10 comments:

Tiffani said...

Well, I'm GLAD you are feeling better..I too have not only been heartsick with hubby and all but I got the crud you speak of...it's heading it's way out though..praise Jesus!!

So much I am glad about today too!! Thanks for reminding us all that everday should be full of "gladitude"...oh, I meant to tell you that I loved your reference to Snoopy crying..made me laugh out loud!!

Denise said...

Glad you are feeling better sweetie. I love you.

Cheryl Wray said...

This is such a GREAT post!!! you are SO right about men and how you have to "get through to them." Another big "aha" moment for me was realizing that men feel love when they feel like they are being appreciated (for working hard, doing things for the family, etc.). And "I love you" is not quite as important as a "Thank you" or a "How was work today?" Don't you think that's true, too?

Your conviction about fewer Christmas gifts is so great. My parents go overboard too, but they don't usually buy a lot of "big" things. My Mom gets a kick out of getting the girls 20 things--but three of the things might be a pair of socks, some candy, and a cool notebook. lol

It's so important at Christmas to have our priorities straight. Every year I work so hard at achieving that.

Have a WONDERFUL day. You're a blessing!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hmmm...well, I may or may not have begged my girls to eat at school today so I wouldn't have to make their lunches!

Glad you're feeling a bit better and thankful that your family (BIG) eased your burden a bit. Keep resting and keep popping that Vitamin C!

Suzanne said...

Hope you are ALL better soon! :)

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

praying you feel better real soon

bless your hubby and Drama

Jen

Jenster said...

Count me in as one who luuuuuurves and looks forward to Gladitude Monday!!

GLAD you're feeling better.

Jackie said...

I am in agreement with you regarding the Christmas gift issue. We are cutting back a lot this year, more out of necessity than anything, but I see it as a good thing...we can focus our attention on the true meaning, especially now that she's a little older and can understand more.

Glad you're getting back on your feet, and glad your hubby has been there to help you out. He's a keeper! :)

Unknown said...

My Sweet Friend,

My heart thrilled to see you name at my place on Thursday. I am so sorry I have lost track. Girl, I adore you.

Anyhoo, I also loved each of these items and yes #8 is especially applied to me as well and as for the dog and Bible study.... That is a close to heaven as you can get!!! Love you so much. Hugs.

Jenn said...

A Gladitude post is first Gretchen post!! Love them and I am glad that you have made a series out of them. I was sorry you were sick during the post. My 4 year old has been sick since Sunday night. I thought he was feeling better today but he just woke up crying with fever and a headache. Makes my heart sad for him.

Looking forward to catching up on your world this afternoon! :o)