Monday, September 29, 2008

Gladitude Monday

As I shared before, things aren't so easy-sneezy-lemon-squeezy right now. However, it's especially at these times when it's important for me to gain perspective by looking for blessings.

10. We've found summer. It's here in WA. Today will be 80 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky.

9. The sun makes my mood brighter, and that of my hounds. They dislike walking in the rain, but around here, if it rains, we still walk. Otherwise we wouldn't walk. Speaking of which...I should get going before it gets too hot. We Pacific Northwesterners are used to + or - 15 degree change, so when that mercury hits 80, we do feel "hot". I know...wimps.

8. Glad His mercies are new each morning-each moment, for that matter.

7. Glad for my incredible church family. I sang on worship team last Sunday, and I know it's my job to focus on the Lord and give my all to Him in leading his church to worship. But He blesses me so much every time, it's like His gift to me. Even when I'm giving to Him He give to me. Amazing.

6. Glad Big arrives home tomorrow p.m. It's been a long trip this time. Not so long days-wise--only 8 days. But heart-wise. I miss him.

5. Grateful for the prayers and emails on my and my family's behalf. Mwwah! I kiss you with radical force.

4. Glad that I got some makeup which really makes me feel pretty. I've had these awful hyperpigmentation spots, and i just can't stand them. Call me vain. But, I sat down with a woman, had her "make me up", and bought nearly everything she suggested. Guess what? I've been able to recreate what she did, and I'm so pleased. I can't help it--I don't have to have the fanciest clothes, etc., but I do want to look in the mirror and like what I see. In a way, it simplifies my routine, too because I can throw out all the "also rans" in my bathroom and makeup bag.

3. Glad for the Grey's Anatomy season premiere and all my sweet television shows.

2. Glad I'm blogging again. Feels good. Taking myself off the hook for staying "caught up". I need to remember that this is a hobby; I can't feel badly if I don't get to every blog. Nor will I take it personally (okay, I'll try not to!) :) if folks give my posts a rest. Everything has its time and season.

1. Grateful for traditions. One of our traditions is going to Taco Bell on Sunday after church. Another that we're back into is reading aloud together on the Big Blue Bed (ours). Right now we just started a book called The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. We've only just begun to read it, but so far, I think it's excellent. It's a thick book, so we'll probably be reading for quite a while, but it's fun for us to squeeze all 600 pounds of us on our bed and read together. Also interestingly, it's protagonist (so far) is a verrrry bright boy who doesn't fit the norm in school and life. Hmmm...feels a bit close to home, and I like that.

What are some traditions your families do? Either for fall or in general?

Blessings! Soli Deo Gloria!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I always smile when I see your Gladitude posts. How inspiring you are to me that you can focus on your what you are thankful for when things are hard.

Happy the sunshine is out for you today. I had to chuckle though when you said the 80's is summer for y'all. We get excited when they say 80's - we think Fall is here. :o)

Praying for your Monday friend.

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

We used to go to Taco Bell after church every Sunday too. Our friends owned all the T-bells in town and three of us families would go and let the kids play and have adult conversation along with our bean burritos with sour cream!

So fun!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I've been praying for you Gretchen. Loved your list...and love your traditions of reading on your bed and Taco Bell.

I'm glad that Abbey's last track meet is tonight. I'm glad that Monday is almost over, and I'm glad that I was able to stay home ALL day today.

I'm hungry for Taco Bell right now. Maybe I'll swing by there for lunch tomorrow!!!

Diane Meyer said...

Hi there, just stumbled in from the Blogosphere and found your blog.
We are neighbors from down south in Oregon. Just wanted to say "hey" and I am enjoying the spirit that your blog extends.

Denise said...

I am back online, have missed you so much. You are in my prayers, love you.

John said...

The good times are comin',
They'll be comin' real soon.
And I'm not just pitching pennies
at the moon...

Lyrics from the often overlooked western, Monte Walsh. We don't pitch pennies at the moon, right? We pray to the Father, the good one, who hears and sings in a Mama Cass kinda voice - the good times are comin'...

Glad you're back in the land of gladitude.

Grace, always grace,

Cheryl Wray said...

I LOVE your Taco Bell and reading together traditions. Those are awesome!!!

This time of year becomes important in traditions. Our two favorites...and really two that are so important for us all spiritually...is our gratitude collections at thanksgiving (all month we write down things we're thankful for, and then share them at the end of the month) and family Advent at Christmas.

Your list today was awesome!!!

I've been thinking of/praying for you guys.Hope everything is well!

(My parents are actually in Washington this week and next for work/vacation. Mom was telling me how warm it was yesterday up there. It surprised her!)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I so wish we could sit down face to face and drink coffee and chat!

Jackie said...

AMEN to number 8. I have been thinking the same thing quite a bit lately...and thank God that he gives us the chance to start fresh.