Some of you may be tired of me posting about the 3 Day. Sadly for you, I don't care. ;) However, this will be the final one because the Seattle Breast Cancer 60 mile 3 Day is officially over, and all walkers are in and accounted for. And it was an amazing experience. Here's a little bit about our Team Live! Laugh! Love!
- 11 walkers, aged 21 - 61.
- 20 children among us
- all of us are married
- 6 go to the same church
- we represent full-time and part time workers and stay at home moms
- one of us walks with an artificial leg
- one of us has been active in the USMC, and now is a security officer for high ranking muckety mucks at a successful software company based in WA.
- one of us grew up on fishing boats and in Alaska
- none of us has had breast cancer, though one of our walkers was sporting
bruisesbadges of courage on her breast from her n.e.g.a.t.i.v.e. (wooo-hooo) punch needle biopsy. - we are all shapes and sizes--if we can do it, anyone can
My Breast Friend, aka our team captain, S.
Opening ceremony @ 6:30 a.m.

Husband of beloved Michelle.
Here he is again--his face, this time. 
Day 2: Cheering station; mile 27ish.
Drama Girl makes awesome posters, doesn't she?
Big @ the cheering station. I cannot tell you how important the cheerers were to our mental well-being. What a treat to see my family, as well as those of my fellow walkers. Apparently, S.'s hubby had a caravan at our local Mickey Ds' so that all the kids and hubbies who were available could cheer on the team en masse.

I have the breast family ever. Even if David was monkeying around. ;) They had to wait until nearly all the 3,300 walkers had passed by to see us. We were the "injured reserve" team. Lots of blisters, sore muscles, and post-surgical bad knees. So...we waited for everyone in our group. Because that's what a team does.
The agony of da-feet. What's a loss of a toejail (or 2) when it comes to fighting cancer?? This was my friend, JH. She walked for the last day entirely on open blisters from her third toe to the ball of her foot to her heel.
I know it's blurry, but see if you can find the blister on her heel. ;0)
Team: LIVE! LAUGH! LOVE! We. Made. It.!!!!!!!!!
Gladitude: Glad I made it. Glad for warm showers. Glad for the generosity and grace of the human spirit. Glad for honking cars and waving fans. Glad for flat stretches of roads and pit-stops with porta-potties and gator-ade. Glad for the survivors who give us hope.
I'll be catching up with you all soon.
Soli Deo Gloria!
14 comments:
I am SO proud of you...congrats! You all have done a truly amazing thing.
Gretchen, I am so proud of you and your team! I am not sick of hearing about your three day - way to go!!! :o) How cool that you and Meredith reached your goals on the same weekend.
What a beautiful picture of the pink sky with the mountains and pink tents. I love God's little smiles.
Congrats my friend!
You and the mini-peeps (and don't forget Big peeps!) are so cute! How awesome that they all came out to support your challenge.
Way to go! *smooches*
YAAAAAAAY! Good job, Gretchen!
And Drama Girl does make FABULOUS posters. That was awesome to have the family come out in support!
You guys rock!
I could not possibly be prouder of you! SOOO impressive!
Oh me...gotta love that hair cut.
Wow!!! This is amazing, and your pictures of the event are amazing!
Looks like you all had so much support, and did a wonderful job!
Way to go team! Thank you for enduring to the end for a great cause!
Congratulations!
We'd love it if you'd share your photos and/or videos on the official Breast Cancer 3-Day Flickr group, YouTube channel, Facebook fan page or MySpace page.
Congrats on this huge accomplishment! The pictures are great - thanks so much for sharing this special event with us.
Gretchen...I am SO proud of you! That's a huge accomplishment! I laughed out loud at your "breast family" comment, how cool that your friends' husband would shave a ribbon on his head. Excellent job...and great teamwork.
Congrats on your accomplishment!! I participated in the San Diego 3 Day Walk last year and it was an amazing experience. I am hoping I can participate again next year, every year is way too much for me with fundraising.
God bless and congrats again,
Mrs. S
Bless you all...bless you sweet Gretchen. I am so proud of you, of you all.
As if I needed another reason to love you...: )
Love,
Sue
Post a Comment