I cannot help it if the Lord has gifted me with thoughts which go with '70s jingles. Ask me any TV theme song from the 70s or 80s and I can nail it. I tell you, I'm a better la-la-er than Kathie Lee Gifford (Name That Tune). Why? Why you ask? Because I was a latch-key child from 2nd grade, and know the value of a good television show. Furthermore, I realize that this gift is not nearly appreciated as it should be. Why, now-a-days, we have shaky-camera CGI theme songs to all the shows. It's not right.
Apparently, i digress.
Hands r.a.i.s.e.d. to heaven that it is Friday. It's been a week. Transition, don'tcha know.
Saturday: Walked many miles. Had hairapy appt. Cleaned a bit, organized a bit. Prepared food for a BBQ on Sunday. Napped. Oh, how I'm a lover of the nappage. My kids will probably remember me as lazy. Let them.
Sunday: Saw the Indian Children's Choir at our church. These kids are all from a tiny village, where, until 90 years ago, there were no Christians. Now, 90% of their village is Christian. Amazing, amazing story and show. And, at the end of their performance, each child went into the congregation and gave "free hugs" to every person seated. Not only that, but they blessed us and prayed over us. A.m.a.z.i.n.g. Yes, I cried. There, i said it.
Later that day, we enjoyed a BBQ at our local park with dear, dear friends with whom we promised a get-together this summer. Can you believe that the last day of August was the only day which worked? Had a great time.
Monday: Last day of Big's staycation...Boo hoo. So, we had to wind it up with a meal out, of course. At Patty's Eggnest for breakfast-for-lunch. And there...we saw Blake Lewis. Good for S4J for being spot on in identifying him. I wanted to yell across the restaurant, "Hey Blake! We totally voted for you!!!!". But because I love my marriage and my children, I didn't.
Tuesday: Eased into the day...Big went back to work to solve the health care problems of China...Both kids had open houses, starting at 4 at their school, but David had to be there earlier for middle school/new student orientation. When I asked him how it went/what he learned, he turned to me with a surly look on his face, and said, "Babble, Mom. Babble. I don't even know what they said.". Drama Girl and I took advantage of the downtime between 3 and 4 to get her nails done. :) Periwinkle blue nails with white flowers on each thumb. I think she enjoyed that more than David enjoyed his orientation, but i can't be sure.
David's first day of youth group at church. Can i just say...I love, love, love our youth ministry? Okay I will. I love our youth ministry. My son, who is not a joiner in the least, came out of church saying, "At least I'll have one thing to look forward to in my weeks." Amen.
Wednesday: The first day in a new school for both kids. Our school goes from K-8, so both of them will be in the same spot for a couple of years. Thank You Jesus, for the convenience of it all. My dtr was nervous, but knew that she'd have a friend in her class. Both of them transferred over from the same school. David went in with abject terror in his eyes, but made it through his first day of 7th grade.
First day of choir for Momma. It's nice to be back.
Thursday: Drama Girl has decided that it still stinks to be new, but that she lurves her teacher. So do i (so far, at least). This woman embraces all learning styles, and is attempting to teach in such a way that each kid gets to be in his/her learning element at least some of the time.
Drama has also identified some potential friends. Yay. I know she wishes it were all in place, but I keep telling her, for the 2nd day of school, she's doing more than swell.
David had an all day field trip to a farm with the middle school. They send all those
Friday: Realizing that a week from today, i'll be embarking on a 60 mile walk over 3 days. Starting.to.hyperventilate.in.anticipation. If you think of it, please pray over us on the 12-14th. As of now, the forecast looks nearly perfect. Lows in the 50s/Highs in the 70s and no.rain. Pray for stamina, no injuries, and that we would be a blessing to everyone on the walk.
Trying to figure out my routine. Enjoying the month of September. It's beautiful here, and the colors are just starting to come out. Feeling blessed.
So? How's your week?
8 comments:
good on you for walking many miles on Saturday :)
Events like the Indian Children's Choir stay with you a long time. I saw the Watoto Childrens Choir when I was still in Auckland.
bless Big
your nails sound lovely
pleased David enjoyed youth group
(the one My Home Schooler is in is going on a Who Dunnit hunt in a nearby township today)
Drama Girls new teacher sounds great
all the best for that HUGE walk coming up
Jen
You're funny. Enjoyed your writing.
I will be praying for you, and cheering for you sweetie. Go Gretchen, work those beautiful legs!!
Please come by my blog, I have an award for you.
LOVED your opening...my sister only sings her son songs from old TV shows. She not only knows the la la's but knows most of the lyrics word for word...cracks me up
Sounds like a fulfilling week! The highlight being the mention of S4J. or something.
Okay...who is Blake Lewis? And why do I feel so stupid asking that question?
60 miles in three days, huh? You can do it. Exactly what is the calorie deficit after walking 60 miles? I'm thinking you need a big 'ole steak dinner when you finish each night. Wow!
I always wondered what takes your husband to China once a month - did not know it was health care - interesting.
I nap lover too! I took one on Sunday.
Said a prayer for David and Drama Girl as they adjust to their new school. Praying for you and Big too as you encourage them while they make new friends and get into a routine.
Post a Comment