Monday, September 1, 2008

Gladitude Monday

10. Glad we're having November weather because at least we're not having Gustav weather. We're warm and safe, and I'm enjoying a colon-blow blueberry muffin with natural peanut butter and hot coffee, and life is good. Prayin' for the Gustav-ers.

9. Glad that McCain, et.al supported the folks bracing for the hurricane and ratcheted down the RNC. And glad to see, yet again, the presence of a woman on the ballot. No matter how one votes or whether we "like" these women or not, Clinton and Palin are trailblazers for our daughters. Our daughters can truly say, "I want to be President", and have it mean something.

8. Glad for all the upcoming TV opening seasons. Giddy, actually. Hey, I never said I was deep.

7. Glad I had a most enjoyable hairapy appointment at noon on Saturday. Too bad I was hobbling into the salon, because...

6. Glad I walked 15+ miles (from 6 a.m-11 a.m) in training for the 3 day, which is (hyperventilates) in less than 2 weeks. I can walk with aches and pains and be fine. It's getting out of the car after I drive home from our walking spot and trying to walk then. All the muscles seize up and I just want to die. Thankfully there is an amazing drug called Ibuprofen. I'm mightily glad for some of that. :)

5. Glad to see my dachshund attacking a bone which is (the retriever's) as big as he is. I love that he doesn't realize he's small, old, semi-continent, and neutered.

4. Glad to have shared an iconic, high-brow movie with our children: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Thankfully there were only a few "teachable moments". Hard to believe it's 20 years old! Also loved to see David chortling at all the historical figures. Drama liked it, too. At ages 10 and 12, we are getting to the point that we can enjoy movies other than those made specifically for kids together. Glad for forgiveness, too. We saw Batman's the Dark Knight with the kids, because after watching Batman Begins together on DVD--Big had even previewed--we thought it was borderline, but a good story, and felt that with the same story writers and director, we were pretty safe in taking the kids to the new one Lord, forgive us. That movie should have been rated R. Period. Glad my kids would avert their eyes even w/o my saying to do so. Also glad that we discussed all questions and put it to rest.

3. Glad that we made Mill Creek-Opoly. We were given this build-your-own Monopoly game a year ago and finally, during Big's staycation, finally put it all together. Mill Creek is the name of our town, so we got to personalize all the parts on the board to match our town, or our whim. We still need to make the bills, but our Free Parking is Quiet Time (my favorite part of the day), and the Go To Jail is Poop Scooping in Poo Alley. Again, we're the high-brow folk.

2. Glad for this post from John at The Dirty Shame. If you haven't read him, I heartily recommend his writing. I never come away from one of his posts without either thinking about something in a different or deeper way. And sometimes, he makes my eyes leak.

1. Glad that the anticipation of all the first day of school stuff is nearly finished! I met with all of David's teachers last week, and really was impressed with a) the fact that they all met with me, and b) the fact that not only are they seemingly very supportive and wishing for him to be successful, but they also set the stage for us to have a great collaborative relationship. We are much poorer today, as our son now has a laptop with Dragon Speak Naturally software, but if he's able to get a handle on his dysgraphia and live with his strengths and liabilities more easily with these tools, then they are worth every sacrificed cent. We've done neurologists and therapies out the wazoo--mostly out of pocket. What's a laptop? Thank You Jesus for the means to help him be successful in school. Thank You Jesus for Drama Girl's amazingly non-selfish behavior the day of the purchase. She wants a computer so.very.badly., but was so gracious. I want to have her maturity and grace when I grow up. We do a lot of things for her, as well, but nothing feels even about your brother getting a laptop, right?

Bonus: Glad that the auditions for our Christmas play are over. We're doing A Christmas Carol (the disney-esque Hallmark version with Kelsey Grammer as Scrooge). I don't much care which part I got, but I pray that Drama Girl got something cool for her. I'll keep you posted because I know you're all on the edge of your seats. ;)

4 comments:

Jenster said...

Okay. I read the whole post, but I'm stuck on the new TV Season. So all I'm going to say is - LOST, Desparate Housewives and Chuck.

'nuff said.

Denise said...

I love you sweetie.

Becky said...

BWAHAHAHA! Colon blow muffins.

Oh, man...I guffawed at that one.

Thanks for the belly laughs!

His Girl said...

The only thing i don't like about gladitude mondays is that I want to comment on every single thing and then i am all freaked out and don't know where to start.

so i say something like ME TOO.. LIKE JENSTER... ME TOO.

when i really want to say something original, and ask more about the play outcome, and freak out how far you walked! i seriously want to DIE when i walk 3 miles. tell me you're goin' at a slower pace or I will turn green with envy and hang up my tennies.

something like that.