Monday, March 16, 2009

Welcome Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Glad 10:

10. Glad for birthday month...Well, actually, I wish it were a month-long celebration...seems only fitting...Seriously, here are a few last shots which complete the Gretchen-is-40-already-and-enough! journaling:





Starbucks in bed:


See? I'm almost smiling. Almost awake. Almost smiling.





Brought to me by:
My 10-age daughter. Today, she loves me. ;)

A night out with Big. He took me here for the b'day. The second picture, at request of Drama Girl photographer. Ooooh, ookaaay.


9. Glad for my man hands. Without them, I would have no where to place this adorable spring bracelet which I won from my new fabulous bluddy, Susan (Carpool Queen). She should a.k.a. be the coffee queen, which is another reason I lurve her. THANK YOU! Because of her, I'm no longer terrified of trying felting. Just mildly frightened.

8. Glad that science fair projects are only a year or 3 from being a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong. I lurve science in a most excellent way. However, doing experiments at home during my naptime on a Sunday afternoon , trying to pull out salient questions and assist, but not direct the entire process from research to purchasing needed objects--aren't there always "needed objects"? Well, it leaves me d.o.n.e. Learn the scientific method in high school. There are labs there. Needed objects included. "Our" project was comparing tea, coffee, and cola in fabric dyeing. If this doesn't ignite her fire for further research in the field, I don't know what will.


7. Glad for an email which told me that the prayer ministry was praying specifically for me this week, and asked for my requests. In a 600 person church, this felt all personal-like, and I really appreciated it. My list was long, but distinguished. Think they'll ask again??

6. Glad that I have a working brain. You see, my frontal lobes are telling me, "Don't kill the dog, Gretchen. She's made to bark. She doesn't know it's an ungodly hour. Remember how you wanted to get her so badly??? Huh? Remember how cute you thought she was? Don't kill her today. You can make it for today, right? " What is it about barking which makes it more forceful and strident before coffee?

5. Glad about my intro to systematic theology class. Our pastor is a professor, and i feel like i'm in college again. But we're not studying neurons, phonemes, and augmentative communication. No. This week, we're studying 1 Peter. Our assignment is to read it in 3 different translations, and then we'll complete an exegetic exercise (pulling from the text that which is there) during class. Very cool. When we did this before, with Colossians, my head hurt at the end of the class because so much of what we hear as Christians is not actually in the text. E.g. God helps those who help themselves (can we BE more anti-christian than that?), or spare the rod/spoil the child. Not.in.there. Looking at the Bible with a fresh perspective--exegetic vs. devotional--is growing my faith. Not that there's anything wrong with devotional studies. I lurve them, in fact. I find that they'll be even more powerful for me as I learn more about their context. I can say, "Look! It's in there!"

4. Grateful for the snow, sun, rain, sun mix yesterday. Spring is here. My little tulips are about 4 inches long. Yay. Forsythia (sp?) bush is coming into her own, too. Allergies can't be far behind. :)

3. As much as I like to serve and be on the choir and worship team. Y'all know by now how much I love those things...it was nice to go to church for one service and leave. A little rest never hurt anyone.

2. Glad for a meeting with David's teachers this week, to discuss his schedule for the end of this year and for (gulp!) 8th grade. So far, we really do think this school is a fit. Though nothing is perfect, the litmus test for us is that he's happy there, and his grades are good. Friends, I guess, will come later.

1. Gladdy-glad-o'glad that my hubby and I had a sweet, quiet, not much, but a lot conversation yesterday. Perfunctory pecks on the lips and 5 minute chats become the norm with a busy family. This was nice.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, a little bit early!





























Photobucket

14 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Love the smoochy pic, because I'm romanticky that way. And I am currently out of vinegar because one of the boys checked out a "Science experiments at home" book from the library. I think I'm out of baking soda, too. At least my drains are clean.

And you should know better than to waste good coffee dying a shirt. Please. Priorities.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Tempting me with Starbucks first thing this AM? UGH!

As always, I loved your list. Love the bracelet that you won even if I am crazy-jealous.

I'll send you an email about nxt wk. John and I still don't have an accurate picture of that time, but I'll give it my best shot. Later though...heading to the doc with my pinkalicious girl. ;(

Sing4joy said...

Ahh. You're just like a fresh breath.

Tiffani said...

You and your man look MIGHTY FINE...sister!!!!! So pretty!!!

I just won a $5 gift card to the Bux from Mer..(although you know this) and I can't WAIT to go spend it.

We've gotta come up with a science fair project idea here at the Long Homeschool Academy. Love the idea at your house.

You ABSOLUTELY deserve a month long celebration in my opinion...oh, and we could chat about church...we just left our church we've been at for 10 years (yes, 10) and this past Sunday was the first Sunday I was able sit, soak and leave (at a different church, of course)...AMAZING.

Oh, and I love your little Flashdance gown in your pic...very sexy and I can't stop singing "what a feeling!"...hee hee

Julie said...

Happy Birthday dear friend.

I hope it was a special day... it looks like it was.

And turning 40, well you've now entered the "wild side" of life...as I like to call it.

I've left the wild side now and have moved on....now I'm in the "seasoned side"....

Love ya,
Julie

Cheryl Wray said...

Awesome post, and I just love all of the pictures. You and your hubby are SO cute!!!!

Your Bible class sounds fantastic... and what a great idea your church's prayer committee does. I love that idea and may have to share it with my church.

Have a great week!!!

(yeah, now I need some Starbucks)

Shanda said...

So glad that Drama Girl pressed for the smooching photo! You WILL be glad you have it later on!

Sounds like you've got yourself one fine man! Starbucks in bed, Night out, great conversations...

I love that your church called you for prayer requests! How cool is that?! Don't worry, with 600+ members the long, but distinguished list may not be fresh in their minds when they ask again!

Glad your dog lives and barks on!

Jenster said...

WOW! This has got to be one of the best lists yet! Then again, I think that every week. BUT - I love the pictures, especially the smoochy one!! I love the coffee in bed, I love the science experiment and I'd love to know the conclusion.

I just love this post!

Unknown said...

Hey Gretchen! Your felted bracelet looked really nice! i think Carpoolqueen should make one every week until i can win one.

Also, your drinking Starbucks in the bed just made me happy. It makes me want to go get a latte right this very minute and drink it in bed!

Denise said...

Awesome glad list, love you.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Lovely photos of you - and good night Gretchen, how tall is your husband?! It looks to me that he cant clear the door? You have to tell me!

Becky said...

Girl, you lookin' FAB in those pictures getting ready to go out on the town. Your daughter was right to mark the occasion with a photo.

Cute bracelet.

Angie said...

Happy Birthday. I loved your Gladtitude List this week.....it always makes me feel so....glad! And jealous of the Starbucks. And remember that life begins at 40!!!

Gretchen said...

CPQ: I know...priorities. I was suffering for the cause.

Mer: Can't wait to tempt you with a latte or a chai tea. And we can work around your no Starbucks rule--there's a latte stand on every corner. Drive thru, baby.

S4J: And thanks to Trident, I have fresh breath. :)

Tiffani: Enjoy your gift card! They are the bomb. Every teacher I know gets about 42,000 at Christmas time. Flashdance. Oh, yeah. I actually did the water dance at a party a year or so ago. It wasn't pretty.

Julie: The seasoned side? I kinda like that, too.

Cheryl: Okay...like you, I'm gonna try answering on my comments. We'll see how consistent I'll be. And Big and I are cute. Or rather he is. Which is why I allow him to live another day. ;)

Shanda: Yeah, we're smoochers around here. And Annie has lived to see another day or 5. She really is cute, even if she's terrible in almost every way. Not quite as bad as Marley...

Jenster: Thank you. The science project yielded best results for the tea dyeing. I think.

Kellie: Welcome. I heart your blog. And I agree that CPQ should keep making bracelets, and that we should all wear them in bed whilst sipping our lattes.

Denise: xxxooo

Bev: He's 6'4. And mine...all mine. ;)

Becky: I lurve the bracelet, too. Didn't Susan (cpq) do a fantastic job?

Angie: My grandma lurved her 40s. She actually tells me that every age was great up until her mid 70s when her health impairments forced her to slow down. I'm thrilled with 40 so far.