
If you click on the link above, you'll be taken to a carnival at Becoming Me. Angela is hosting this carnival from today through Wednesday, and asks us to post a favorite tradition, craft, recipe, or special Easter story.
In wracking my brains, I can't really come up with a story. I grew up with the Easter Bunny being the primary reason for Easter. We colored eggs, and I searched for baskets...and jelly beans. And went on Easter egg hunts. I grew up loving Easter, and knowing the Easter story, but not celebrating it.
I guess Easter didn't become a significantly different holiday until about 6 years ago, when I participated in the choir in my first Easter service at church. I started going to church and really recommiting to my faith almost 8 years ago. Since then, I have been taking the 3 out of 4 of us to church on Easter Sunday. I'll be honest. Sometimes I don't like going to church on Easter. Or Christmas, for that matter. While I'm thrilled to be there because I love God, it's more crowded than usual, and the sermon always seems to be religion-lite, seeminly seeking to edify the Christers of the congregation. I don't resent this--I realize that this is how it is on the 2 biggest Christian holy days of the year. And saying I don't like to go to church on Easter isn't the same as saying that I don't like Easter. I loooove Easter. Easter for me is about sacrifice. Which, I think, is perfect when we realize that Easter represents God's sacrifice in Christ for us. I don't like going to church without my husband. Especially on a holiday/holy day when a) I sure wish he'd love to be there with me, and b) I'm at church which means I'm not at home doing the holiday with him. Lest you think I'm bitter about this, I'm not. It's work, yes. But work is good. Sacrifice is good--even pleasing to God, I think--when it's done in a manner which glorifies Him.
So, at this point, our story is this: The children and I go to services on Sunday and rejoice in His eternal life and gift of salvation to us. We still color eggs and the Easter Bunny still visits. Some traditions are just fun and also remind us of the coming of spring, which is a resurrection of the earth in it's own way...And, we tend to have Easter brunch on the Saturday before Easter. Too much choir and 2-service hullabaloo to do anything but nap on the afternoon of Easter Sunday. And that's about it.
God's blessings to you all throughout this season of Lent and Easter.
Go forth ye, and participate!
11 comments:
I'm so glad you joined in! I feel the same way about church on the holidays and love it when Pastors do not water down the sermons. Many blessings to you.
Hi, Gretchen. Thanks for the "Unputdownable" tag for Matters of Faith! That's lovely to see.
LOLOLOL, I use the term "Chreasters" for those twice a year church goers too...not to be judgmental, but it's such a funny word...
I'm sorry you have to go to church without your hubby. :( But I'm glad you do get to go and enjoy the service. I think if others knew about the incredible blessings of following Christ wholeheartedly, they would want to come to church all year round. It is sad.
Yes-sad that sooo many people only come that one day-wish we as a church body could think of better ways to make it a more real taste of heaven for them!
Bless you dear, this was awesome.
Blessings on your head for putting one foot in front of the other and doing it. My favorite part of Easter morning is when they sing the Hallelujah chorus...makes me weep, it does.
I feel the same way about church on Christmas and Easter.
So glad you did this!
I have to agree about Easter and Christmas. It can end up being about the exterior on those days instead of the heart; I cherish the Pastors who have something fresh and meaningful to share and boldly do so without fear of stepping out of tradition.
I am believing that one day it will be 4 out of 4...not that going to church itself on those days is essential; but the heart of the issue...
very well done!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Easter. I really am enjoying reading about how everyone celebrates.
Post a Comment