Other musings...
Heard this a.m.: "Mom...I uh...really appreciate all the laundry that you do". I find this so sweet because a) He noticed! and b) He-who-wears-the-same-thing-until-urged-to-put-it-in-the-dirty-clothes has very little in the volume of clothes I wash. Still...so nice that he noticed.
Usually I have to get on him for inappropriate noticings. Yay David. His inappropriate noticings are quite funny though...yes, again, I say, I'm sick-sick-sick. But that's another post.
Big leaves for China in about 20 hours. Trying hard not to go "there" in melancholy. The sooner he goes, the sooner he gets home.
I never get used to it.
But I'm glad for him.
Can you imagine opening a new (health insurance) business in a country you know fairly nothing about, and can't speak the language? He likes to call this: challenge. I call it: crazy. Still. It's his crazy challenge, and it floats our boat, while stimulating his mind. Perhaps I prefer boredom...?
We might go with him in October...
Is there really any way out of the 1-4 p.m. slump? I'm eating better, exercising better, and still. So exhausted in the mid-afternoon that you'd think I actually had a physical labor job.
I'm reading a memoir by Richard Cohen, who wrote Blindsided. It's called, Strong at the Broken Places: Voices of Illness, A Chorus of Hope. I like it, but am not enjoying it. You know how that is. He gets to know/follow 5 folks with chronic illness (ALS, MD, Crohn's Disease, Lymphoma, and Bipolar Disorder). Makes me want to march in every fundraising event ever, and delete all my mamby pamby complaints above. Perspective is a good thing. And Richard, himself (a.k.a. hubby of Meredith Vieira) writes with the poignancy that only one with his own chronic disease can write (he has had cancer 2x and has MS).
I think for every serious book i read, I must fill the coffers with 5 lighter ones. I take things far too personally.
Okay...musings over...time for lunch. Yay! Will it be buttered popcorn or left over spaghetti? Stay tuned.
16 comments:
I love you dear, and I agree with you about Natasha Richardson.
It is shocking when someone with fame and fortune dies suddenly - especially on a ski slope...You just kind of think they will be able to get the "best doctors and surgeons" and fix it; just reminds us anew that we are all human, all put our "pants on one leg at a time" (as my dad used to say), and all have an eternity to face. I'm sure it will inspire anew the usage of helmets!
Have you ever been tested for food allergies? (the tiredness issue...) It is amazing how much a gluten or dairy allergy can affect you and they don't always have dramatic signals...(Sorry, the "fixer" in me coming out.)
At least you have Mer coming this week! That should make China pass much quicker!!
My husband has Crohn's. It has been a journey for sure. I haven't read that book. I tend to avoid the serious & sad - had enough in my own life. Definitely read 5 happy (and then let me know what you read!!)
The 1-4 slump is usually alleviated by a cup of coffee for me, and occasionally I cave with a power nap (and set the alarm so the kids aren't left standing on the sidewalk outside of school).
And having lost a dear friend (we literally played in the crib together) made me realize all too young that life's too short. Enjoy today. It turns on a dime.
And my last two books were about sports and economic theory, because I'm SUUCH an expert at both. But I feel smart saying that I read them. Couldn't tell you a darn thing about 'em, though. I'm not a big retainer.
Buttered popcorn! That's my vote. I have popcorn for lunch nearly every day.
I know how you feel about the Natasha Richardson tragedy. It has really touched me too. It is strange that someone I would not have known had I passed her on the street becomes someone that affects your heart and feelings so much.
I remember when Princess Diana died and I just thought that no matter how famous and well liked you are, bad things can still happen and there is no one that can do anything to help. So sad.
I'm with you. The only thing I have ever seen Natasha Richardson in was the PArent Trap, so I know nothing about her but i think that the reason its been on my heart is that skiiing, and family, and young children, and living life is so normal. So normal that many of us do those things every day. But for the grace of God that could've been someone I loved.
That's make my heart heavy...
I hope you went for the buttered popcorn. I don't know who's blogs you follow, but there was a wicked recipe going around for some popcorn with chocolate drizzled on it. I'm thinking that's the lunch of Champions.
I didn't know much about Natasha Richardson, but I am so sad for her family, this whole situation. So crazy to think that in a matter of hours something can turn around like that...
I always wondered what Big did over there - wow! I'm impressed. And I think you should go over there with him in the fall - we'll live vicariously through you.
The 1-4 slump? Oh yes. Totally know what you mean. And since that's during the time that my daughter takes her nap, that is usually when I need to get on the treadmill....and when I want to the least.
I hear ya, Gretchen. It always rattles my cage when I hear of a mom or dad with kids near my kids ages dying suddenly, because it brings to mind that thought...what if that happened to my own children?
When Jericho was a baby, there was that figure skater who passed away rather suddenly, leaving behind his wife (and skating partner) and little daughter, and I bawled my eyes out for days. Oy.
Funny about that laundry thing...nice of him to notice and to thank you! Not often we moms get thanked for such menial tasks! Kinda almost makes you wish you could have had a sound bite of it to post on the blawg, huh, lol?
Why am I the last one to comment on this?? I'm usually one of the first! ;)
Anyway, yes, I agree about Natasha...I get sad over ANY thing like that b/c my worst fear is something happening suddenly to someone I love...I lost my Dad when I was only 4 and it has affected my en.tire.life. And, I NEVER want my children to experience life w/o a parent. It's so hard and never goes away.
So kind that David noticed...a little of that goes a looonngg way, doesn't it! ;)
I bought the stuff for that "white chocolate popcorn/crack" stuff that's going around..I'll let ya know how it is!
I just want you to know that I love your thoughts from your brain, your heart, your happies, your hurts...they matter to me. I lurve you.
I agree with what the others said. Even though she's removed from us as a "Hollywood star," she's one of us. A mom, a wife, a daughter.
I'm with you on the heavy reading followed by lighter. I read BIRDSONG, which was kind of heavy so I had to follow up with a Mitford book. Kind of like ginger between bites of sushi to cleanse the palate.
I'm putting that book on my To Read list though. I'll find something light and fluffy to read after it!
I was sad about Natasha Richardson...definitely a lot that stirred my pot as well.
How sweet of your son to notice the laundry. It's the little things isn't it?
The "slump" hits me about 2:30 when I'm sitting in the pick-up line at school. Sitting still in the (usually) sunshine gets me EVERY day. I've been making coffee lately and that helps, but sometimes a nap is more in line with what I need!
SO...was it popcorn or spaghetti?
Surely you care because it's still loss of life in what seems a silly, unnecessary way, and it too easily hits home, that any of us could be taken by something dumb we did, and there would be people left behind to sort it all out. It's easy for us to look at all the wonderful parts of their oh-so-easy, financially blessed lives, but when someone is taken 'too early' it makes them just like us - they can't buy her back, if they were willing to give all they had. It connects them to us and so we care. We just saw 'Taken' less than a month ago, with her husband in it - made it hit home a bit more to know he has to face life without her, trying to finish raising their children by himself.
I'm with you about Natasha. I get down in the dumps about things like that too. And the way she died brought back bad memories for me because my dear friend's husband died from a head injury that happened in a skiing accident back in 2002. (((hugs)))
Don't know what to say about the 1-4 slump. I'm still working on finding a cure for that myself.
Love ya friend,
Suzanne :)
oops made a boo boo on the last post so I deleted it.
What I said was "what matters to you matters to me."
I care about your heart....
Thanks for your words on my blog today. As usual you have blessed me...
xoxoxoxo
BTW: buttered popcorn AND a little left over spaghetti hit the spot. Why am i so hungry at lunch?
Thanks so much for musing with me, gals. Shanda you can "fix" me any time. I have not been allergy tested for food. Don't know if I'm prepared to go there or not right now, but I'm looking into seeing a naturopath, so that might take care of itself. Becky, the Princess Di thing-that's very similar in gut/heart reaction. Don't we remember staying up for her wedding?
WE are on the same page with this one. And that book sounds good. Difficult, but good. And yes, try to balance it with light stuff also. I just finished The Middle Place. Excellent. Heavy topic, but written with a light, exhuberant voice. Loved it.
Post a Comment