Monday, March 30, 2009

Gladitude Monday

10. I'm gonna be flyin' with Whimzie and the gang. Feel free to join in. Disclaimer: I was emptying my coffee filter into the trash, so that I could make a fresh pot of coffee and fly with clear vision. Um...the coffee grounds jumped out of the filter and all over the under the sink/trash area. Apparently, my first cleaning job is done. Still waiting on the coffee.



9. Glad my friend Mer had fun with her hubs in Seattle. Glad I could be part of the fun.



8. Glad that we're all still persevering on the Wii Fit as a fam. I'm trying to do about 20 minutes each time I'm on it. I did get an email from Nintendo, with a person's name and phone number attached, so I'm going to call them. Read here if you're cornfused about this. I'll keep you posted.



7. Glad I got to sing on worship team yesterday, and got to sing some old hymns that I didn't know. We had a substitute leader yesterday, whom I really like. He and his family are new to our church, and already, I feel like they've been around for a long time. I had to laugh though...he asked the vocalists to do a quick mic check, acapella, of some hymn I hadn't heard of. "Um...I'm sorry, what was that? How does it go?" So he tried again..."What about blah-blah? Let's try that." Um...again...me...deer in the headlights. Finally I said, "I'm not a cradle Christian...do you happen to have something I might know?" "Oh. You're not?" "Nope." "I'm about 8 years into this thing." "Oh...How About Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)?" "Okay". And so we did a mic check. I also learned the chorus to "I Need Thee" and "Oh, The Blood of Jesus. Delicious.



6. Gladdy McGlad that Big is home. For nearly a month. Our family just feels so much more in sync with the 4th wheel. Glad to have a lunch date this Wed with him. So, please...no calls. ;)



5. Glad that Big, though tired from his travels, ran out on Saturday night to buy his wife a 12 pack of Diet Coke. Clearly none of you drinks the elixir, based on the comments of my last post, but surely you can identify with his enabling my addiction thoughtfulness.



4. Glad that David is back in school this week. Not that I'm a mean mom...well, I guess that's not true. Glad he's back for both of us. And because he's adding computer programming and Spanish to his schedule. He'll now have 5 hours of class a week. You see, with 5 hours (they're all taught one on one) of class, pretty much every week is Spring Break, so I'm looking forward for his having something new to do. A really nice TJ Maxx is right near his school. Ahem.

3. Glad to hear our local chapter (is that what you call it?) of 4H is nearby. Thinking of that for both kiddos.

2. Glad that God has me noodling...I think it's Him...on what might be next for me. The kids are by no means raised, but I keep having feelings of something coming down the pike for me. Will I re-cert in speech pathology--stupid me, I gave up my CCCs because it was $200 to just keep them. And I haven't had a job-job since about 13 years ago when I retired due to emergency bedrest. I regret that I gave them up. But only a little. If I go back, I'm going to want some new training. I suppose I'd be glad to go thru a few hoops to see that my patients got the most cutting edge care. Will I investigate learning about becoming a counselor of some sort? Will I use any of my experiences with David to help others? Will I just continue doing what I'm doing, trusting God to use me in different volunteering avenues? There's a good restlessness in my heart right now. Praying that I seek and understand and obey.

1. Glad that this is an ordinary, "boring" week. I lurve those. Can you say "rut" girl? I thought you could.





Photobucket

11 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I'm glad it's Glatitude Monday. I always love to hear what's happening with you.

"I need thee" - what a beautiful song. One of the disadvantages of being a Cradle Christian is that too often we sing without hearing the words. Here's to listening again.

I support you in your Diet Cokeness without judging. I gave up sodas a month ago and really don't miss them at all. I have occasionally lapsed with a Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper from Sonic, but it's not really a soda - it's the elixir of the gods.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

As always, I loved your list.

We were laughing on the way home about our "love me some" conversation and about your "glatitude" mondays. John came up with this line for ya:

"Lurvin' me some Gretchitude". Whatcha think?

Shanda said...

What a sweet hubby! So glad he is back safely and you get to have all "4 wheels" for awhile!

Sometimes my soul just longs for some of the older hymns...I wonder what our children will be singing in church when they are our age...

Sorry about the coffee grinds - doesn't that just grind you first thing on a Monday morning? ;) Have a great week friend!

Becky said...

Lurve your gladitudes.

I'm with you on the avocado thing. Mmmmm. And they're good for you, too, helping to bring up the good cholesterol numbers (to balance the bad) and all that. Which is what I tell myself as I eat lots and lots of guacamole and sliced avocado on everything possible. Yep, a great excuse.

That good restlessness? Been there...and it does always seem that the Lord is trying to get my attention for some kind of upcoming change. Keep seeking and trusting, and It's a little like the Israelites in the wilderness, watching and waiting for the pillar of cloud/fire to move, this whole waiting for God's guidance thing...but He never steers us wrong!

Tiffani said...

Great glads, as usual.

I agree with CPQ, it's easy to get so caught up in the new or we've sung those for so long....it's easy to forget their greatness..."it washes white as snow!"..mmm, good stuff.

I love Diet Coke, girl. A while back I switched to Diet Rite (it's a pretty good trade off) and it's sweetened with Splenda...I don't know if it's any less poison but I like to think I've done something good.

So happy Big is home. I know the feelin' ;)

I let my teacher cert. go for the same.exact.reason. but happy to be focused where I am and when it is time to return...they'll have me. if even on provisional. but they'll have me. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for flying with us! It's officially a party now, sister!! Woo hoo!!

And I bought a Wii Fit this weekend. I want to be in on that party, too!

And I agree with the others and LOVE that you're being introduced to those songs. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new stuff. But oh, the wisdom in some of the old hymns. I love hearing them anew through your ears. And I can't wait to hear what the two of you (you and God) come up with during your noodling.

Denise said...

I love you, and your blog so very much.

Unknown said...

Great list!

I am also a closet Diet Coke drinker. I actually have cut way back this year but I would NEVER pass a Route 44 diet cherry coke from Sonic. I suppose its a blessing we don't have one nearby.

I'm also an "adult Christian". Been a Christian for 15 years, but thinks its funny because I know a lot of old hymns by their contemporary counterparts! Love hearing them in the original!

Looking forward to seeing how God's plan for you unfolds!

Michele said...

I loved reading your glatitude list. I just love what you said about a good restlessness in your heart. . . I can certainly identify with that one.

Boring weeks . . . oh how I love boring weeks. . . those are the best in my book!!!

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

If I didn't love Big before, the 12 pack Diet Coke sucked me right in. I'll take a 12 pack of DC over 6 pack abs any day of the week. (Referring to my non-muscled hubby who also loves DC.)

Barb said...

I'm catching up here, Gretchen. How nice that you and Mer got to MIRL - funny you'd mention her beautiful eyes - I think you're both gorgeous.

As are your knitted dishcloths. :-)

I'm glad hubby is home for a nice long stay. I know what you mean about that fourth wheel making things move along a lot more smoothly.

Your gladitude list is always nice.