Sunday, February 15, 2009

An Interview With: Life of GRITS (Bev)

I do believe that I've been reading Miss Bev for the longest...just over 2 years, I think...maybe close to 3. I started reading her when she was "Blessed Beyond Measure", and I was "Quantum Leap"; then she was "Scratchin' the Surface" and I was "Good Enough for Now". Now she writes "Life of GRITS". And of course you're here at "Jewels in My...". Who wouldn't lurve a woman who changed bloggy titles as much as me? Hmmm? Who? :) She's part of a bloggy family dynasty, all of whom I lurve. But Bev was my first. My first funny, real, practical, whimsical, quilt-loving, fun-and-heartfelt to read blogger. Someday we're gonna MIRL. Because we just will.

Enjoy.

1. Your blog is about being a GRITS. As someone who has never lived below the Mason-Dixon line, I’d like you to explain the mystique? Is it the sir and ma’am? Is it the heat? What? :)

GRITS - Girl Raised in the South.... I'm not sure I have the answer. I guess we all think wherever we were raised is best. The south is very unique and anyone who has spent anytime in Texas knows everything there really is bigger (and better). The food is rich and heavy and fattening with a devil-may-care attitude, the people talk in a slow, lazy way that makes you listen more intently, the heat is something you have to build up a tolerance for - I've loved everywhere I've lived (including four years in North Dakota) but my heart will always belong to the south. I can't wait to get back there.


2. You’ve talked about making many cross country moves in your life. What’s the first thing you did/do to make a new home “home” to yourself and your kids?

The first thing we've always done is find a church home. We've attended a number of different denominations, but as long as the people love the Lord, and us, that's good for us. We've gone from dusty hymnals to people running up and down the aisles with flags and no shoes. Once we're in a church, we feel connected and go from there. I always let the kids pick out the colors of paint for their room, and opened our home to any kid they brought home, knowing eventually they'd run into some who would become fast friends for them. Getting them settled was first priority, then I’d start serving, attending Bible study, etc. knowing God would lead me to good, godly girlfriends. This is so different from how I was raised, but now that I've been attending church for almost 8 years, I can see that I would run to the nearest church to start finding a fit for us.

I’m going to be 40 next month, and I’m very excited. Somehow I feel like I’ve arrived to real, authentic adulthood now. What’s something you’d tell someone turning 40? Perhaps something you wish someone had told you?

Aaahhhh 40. I remember 40. I'd tell you to savor it, know it's maybe the best season of your life. Be happy with how you look (I’d love to weigh what I did when I was 40!). Take care of your health - exercising, etc. You're wiser than you were in your 30's, probably from lessons learned the hard way. I wouldn't give up a single one of those lessons. Don't kid yourself by thinking you can do without sleep. Everything hinges on it, life is brighter when you get enough, and it's a blessing to your family if you're not tired. I'm convinced Super Woman was grouchy, from not enough downtime. Avoid the sun, wear moisturizer, every single day of your life. When you hit 50, you'll be glad you did. (BTW, if I could go back to any age and stay there for awhile, it’d be 45. 45 was a great age to be!) I think I'll be printing this out and taping it to the mirror. :)

From all I have observed on your blog and in our emails, you seem a wonderful blend of the pragmatic and the optimistic. Do you agree with this assessment, and if so, how do you think you got this way?

The single best word to describe me is practical and everything flows out of there. Knowing the Lord, and having gone through some rough bumps in the road, I’ve come to realize you get no extra points for expecting disappointment, failure, hurt, etc. Scripture says, "He came that we might have life, and to the full (John 10:10)". So I’m practical in my approach to life, but live life with gusto and zest. Have the ice cream, but exercise. Stay up and have fun, but take a nap. Spend the money, but save a bit extra from the next paycheck. I think I’m pretty comfortable in my own skin these days. Perhaps I should get more tape...


Now for my Barbara Walters question: What kind of gemstone are you? Why?

Gemstone? Hmmm…. I’m not really a jewelry girl, but I do love diamonds as much as the next girl. A diamond in the rough – that probably describes me most days! Oh, I'd say you're pretty sparkly.

Thank you, my friend.
Photobucket

10 comments:

Jenster said...

Great interview - again!!

Barb said...

What a great interview - you can see why she's my favorite sister. Wait a minute. She's my only sister. But if I had ten sisters, she'd be my favorite. :-)

Denise said...

You are really great at this. I love you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm not as excited about 40 as you are. I'm approaching it heels dug in deep.

His Girl said...

What a gift of wisdom! Heading over to Bev's blog to see what treasures lie over there!

Also, it may be true that everyone thinks where they grew up is best, but in my experience, nobody feels it like ppl from the south. There's no such loyalty in my neck of the woods... haha.

Brandy said...

You're pretty good at this interviewing thing. It's good reading. I really like your new color scheme too, I must say.

Cheryl Wray said...

This was SO great!!!! I love it. And I love her answers (I gotta go check out her blog!!)

Southerners really are great. And I can say that since I'm a GRIT too!

(Hey, my email is cherylwrit@aol.com.)

Becky said...

That's some good Titus 2 mentoring right there...because until this post, I still wasn't too happy about this being the shady side of my thirties, lol.

I guess that would make me a GRIN...Girl Raised in Northwest? =)

Again, thank you Baba Wawa for another great interview.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'd forgotten how much I like Bev! (And her sister, and her daughter!)

So fun to read these, Gretchen.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm flattered you invited me to be a part of this. You have a real knack for this, maybe should have been a reporter or journalist?