Friday, February 13, 2009

An Interview With: Jenster

Oh, are you in for a treat! This interviewing is so much fun. Thank you for playing along. Jenster is a bluddy of mine who I think I've been reading for about 2 years...I don't want to gush and tell you that she's an amazing woman, because she would hate that. But, guess what: she's an amazing woman. Making lemonade out of her lemons and writing so poignantly about it along the way. She writes at her personal blog, and at Mothers With Cancer. Enjoy!

1. As you have surmised by now, I am not from the South. You, apparently, have lived in AR. And I believe your parents are there, no? At any rate, let’s say we’re taking a Thelma and Louise road trip to AR. What do we see and do, and what are the top 3 foods/drinks we must order? Yes, I lived in Arkansas from the first week of my married life until almost three years ago. My parents moved there after my dad retired. And then we left. (Oy, the guilt!) So a Thelma and Louisesque road trip. We don’t have to tote a gun or anything, do we? I’d say we definitely have to take in Eureka Springs – an eclectic Victorian town nestled in the Ozark Mountains in Northwest Arkansas. While there we can do all manner of fun shopping AND take in the Passion Play. If we do this in the fall the colors will blow you away. People always think of the Northeast when they think of fall foliage, but the Arkansas foliage rivals even New England. Then we’ll wind our way through the rolling hills to Mountain View and take in the various blue grass bands doing their thang on the porches and in the gazebo in the middle of the town square. From there we can drive down to Petit Jean Mountain and just take in the beauty. Arkansas is the Natural State and most of what I like to do there involves hanging out and enjoying nature. Mountains, rivers, valleys, bayous – take your pick. As for food (now you’re speaking my language!) – Since it is the South we have to do fried. Fried green tomatoes, fried okra and fried catfish!!

2. I feel like I would be remiss if I didn’t ask something about your journey and victory over breast cancer, since that has impacted your life for the last 4 years. What, if anything, has changed for the BETTER since this all began? This is a question I ask myself a lot. I could give you a huge list of what has changed for the worst – mostly all physical with a little of the emotional thrown in. But there have been positive changes as well. Before I was diagnosed I was a committed Christian, living daily in the Word, chatting with Jesus, singing Him songs, happy and content with my life – it was practically ideal and I knew it all to be blessings from God. But I don’t think there was any more room for me to grow at that point. I was so come – my relationships, my lifestyle, my spiritual life – all of it. At that point I believed in my head and, I think, my heart that God was in total control of my life and He would be my strength and my joy in any circumstance. But before my diagnosis I didn’t know that as an absolute. He proved Himself so faithful over and over and over again. How could I not be changed for the better?
To expound… (‘cause I’m all about expounding) I’ve always had a heart for women’s ministry and have been involved in some form or fashion over the last 15 years or more. This experience has given me different insights and a more useful perspective (for lack of a better phrase). Now I see God taking me to the next level in this ministry I have such a passion for and using what was a difficult circumstance to better serve the women I want to help. Not just within the realm of breast cancer, either, but just women’s issues as a whole.



3. Who inspires your wickedly awesome sense of humor? Your compassion for others? Both of these are so vividly a part of who I see in you. And one of the reasons I lurve ya.
Both my folks are funny. And Todd is funny. And my kids are funny. And my friends are funny. So I can’t escape the humor thing. I’ve been inundated with it, I suppose. My compassion for others? Wow. That’s a tough one because my spiritual gifts inventory lists compassion as my second lowest. I’m a very, “suck it up”, “get over it” and “save the drama for your mama unless that’s me” type of person. But I do hurt when others hurt. Looking back over the years, I would say the degree of my compassion is in direct proportion with my relationship with Christ. I’ve been less than compassionate with a few people lately. Hmm… I don’t think I like what that means. Oh, dear! Probably means you're human. I think we can be compassionate w/o dramatics.

5.Name an area of motherhood with which you s.t.r.u.g.g.l.e? An area in which you r.o.c.k? Explain both. Only one area in which I struggle? Okay then. I’ll stay with something safe so you won’t think too much less of me. Sometimes I’m too strict and other times I’m too lax. So maybe that “one” area would be consistency. I know I let them get away with a little too much at times and then other times I get angry over stupid stuff. Gah! What a lamo I am!
I’m not so sure about the area in which I rock. I will say I have a great relationship with both kids. I truly love their teenage years. Just like every other stage they’ve grown through, they do cause their fair share of frustrations. But on the whole they’re good kids and I’m continually amazed at the things they talk to me about. So maybe I rock at inspiring confidence and unconditional love? That’s my hope.
It's a good hope to have because I believe it's true!But really, when you get right down to it, I would say the only reason I rock at ANYTHING is by the grace of God. Seriously.

4. Who is your second husband? Explain. Ahem, what I mean to say is…Phil Mickelson used to be my 2nd hubby; now he’s dropped to 3rd husband status. Kyle Chandler is now 2nd. If I weren’t married almost 19 years you could worry. :) Also, I know that if things don’t work out between Big and me, he’ll be headed right towards wife 2, Keira Knightly. Or…possibly Cameron Diaz. Hmm… If I couldn’t be married to Todd and I had to pick someone else I might pick Adrian Paul because he’s cute, has a wicked sweet Scottish accent and looks fiiiiiine in a kilt. Not just any guy is manly enough to get away with looking masculine in a skirt. Know what I’m sayin’? But I don’t know much about his personality so that might not last very long. Oh, I know!! Carter Oosterhouse! The carpenter guy! He’s cute and handy, too! And I would be able to do all the home improvement projects I wanted to because I would have all the right tools at my disposal and when if I got into trouble he could fix it for me. He’s a little young for me, but youth is wasted on the young so… whatever.
Yes, I so agree. You thi IS wasted on the young. Which sucks for me, except when I can boss my youth around (e.g. poop scooping). Then it's okay. I often lament that my cuteness and my wisdom are at inverse odds. Anyhooo...

Thank you so much, Jenster.






Photobucket



10 comments:

Julie said...

Hey friend, enjoyed the interview...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your comments.
I always love your visits...

I think you are one amazing woman!

So does HE!

Hugs from Georgia

Jenster said...

I'm not so amazing. But thanks!! This is fun and it keeps me from having to come up with a blog post today! heehee

The Daily Bee said...

Hey there! Dropping by from the Amazing Women's blog. This whole interviewing thingy is super cool.

This makes me just admire Jenster even more!! =)

Denise said...

These interviews are awesome.

His Girl said...

I can testify to the awesomeness that is Jenster. Reading this just enhanced my love for her.

Now, off to google Adrian Paul

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Gretchen...have I told you before that I have a little crush on Kyle Chandler? Those eyes are dreamy.

So...Jenster hit the highights in Arkansas. The only thing I might add is Lake Degray or Lake Catherine!

Jenster said...

MER!!! We used to camp at both Lake DeGray AND Lake Catherine!! We lived about 25 minutes from Lake Catherine and about 40 minutes from Lake DeGray! You are definitely someone who's been there before!

Becky said...

I have had the privilege of meeting this Jenster in real life...and she is all these things and more...funny, radiant, bubbly, super-mom (and wife) as well as very deep. I'm looking forward to the day when her book on cancer comes out so I can buy it and give it to everyone I know.

Great interview Barbara, er, I mean Gretchen.

Gretchen said...

Julie, thanks as always for your steadfast encouragement.

Jenster, you are, too. Stop arguing with me.

Bee, thanks for visiting. Glad you enjoyed our girl.

Denise, I'm glad you participated, too--hey everyone, Denise's is on her blog.

His Girl, agreed. And who the heck is Adrian Paul? I'll be googling, too. I'm confident I have seen him, but don't know his name. I'm a sucker for an accent, too.

Mer, I'm sorry, Kyle is my second husband. But you do have good taste. Speaking of which, FNL tonight!!! yay! And, I knew you and Jenster would get along like peas and carrots.

Becky, I'm jealous, but know my time will come. :) For the record, she says the same things about you.

Cheryl Wray said...

That was awesome!!!!! I loved her answers (and I already know Jenster, so I should have known her answers would be perfect).