Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Accounta---what? New Year Review...

I thought since I'm a glutton for punishment since I want to be accountable, and part of accountability is ugh f.o.l.l.o.w. t.h.r.u., I'd revisit my New Year's Resolutions. After all, we're Februaryish now, so it's time to see if I walked the talk...

Let's review:

In 2009, I resolve to:

1. Know what we are having for dinner by 10 a.m. each day. I'm giving myself an A on this one. Woo hoo! Not only do I usually know what we're having, but now I'm successfully making menu plans and *gasp* even clipping coupons. Back off, man!There's no stopping me!
2. Memorize the following and use them as "life verses". Note: they feel weird on my tongue because I'm in a NLT for now, but I'm going with it. Why not be flexy in the new year?

Proverbs 16:32 Better to be patient than powerful; and better to have self control than to conquer a city.
Philippians 4:4-8 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again--rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you life in Christ Jesus.
And now dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right and pure, and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Colossians 3:1-2 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God's right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

I give myself an F on this one. BUT...Check this out: Therefore, since we are surrounded by so many witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight which slows us down, especially the sin which so easily trips us up. And let us run with enthusiasm the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1 NLT

Instead of just memorizing the above verses, I'm in a self paced Bible Study by Cynthia Heald, and I'm trying to memorize the scripture she's got posted at the end of every exercise. Helps focus me more.

3. Pray each day over my husband. A-. I pray nearly every day for him. Right before I fall asleep. And sneak that I am, I make him "quiz me" with my new memorized scripture.

4. Take self and children to the gym 4 times a week. We're going at least 2x a week, and usually 3, but haven't done the 4x. I think with dog walking and Wii fit, we will probably be okay, but will continue to try to get to the gym. Grade: C.

5. Take 15 minutes each morning to plan my day. Look at calendar(s), look at school papers, and menu plan and just plan a skeleton of the day. Grade: B. I'm planning much better, but am not the disciplined planner that I'd yet like to be.

Photobucket

11 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I think you're doing great. I'd get a big fat stinkin' F on exercise if I were grading myself. Exercise schmexercise. But...then again, I'm NOT going to Hawaii this month. That might change the picture for me. :)

Tiffani said...

You are bold my friend puttin' it out there and even gettin' good grades!!!

You are doing great and I think your consistency is inspiring!!

Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like you are doing GREAT!!!!!

Denise said...

Great job sweetie.

His Girl said...

So, would you like a dollar for every A like my grandpa used to give me?

I am proud of your little report card girl... and glad I'm not feeling so moved to make myself one. ugh for the big fat F i'd be sportin'

Becky said...

Woo HOO! Good job, Gretchen!!

I think you're doing a FAB job...especially that whole meal thing. You da MOM!

Brandy said...

I think you deserve better than a C for the gym thing. 3 days out of 4 plus other activities seems better than a C to me. Plus... you cant expect to go from 0 to 4 days a week overnight - baby steps, right!

Loving your new blog look....my fave colors. Except some of your text is not readable..maybe you're still workin on it RNTM.

Susie Q said...

Heck! I am impressed! The days at the gym alone is inspiring! Now if nly I could be that motivated! : )
Love the sneakin' in scripture part too! Love that!

Love,
Sue

Julie said...

Oh sweet friend, your words to me blessed me as usual. You have a way of doing that. Your visits always bring me such encouragement. Thank you..

I think you are an amazing woman... and I am impressed with all that you do.

Have a blast in Hawaii! You deserve it.

Hugs from Georgia

the voice of melody said...

Sounds like you're doing pretty good! That's terrific!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

You are so awesome girl!! I just adore you. You're on my list of people I want to meet someday. My dad lives in Washington and I know it's a big state and all...but if I ever visit there...we're getting together.