Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Interview With: His Girl

Howdy! This is so much fun for me, and I hope so for you, too. My next victim subject is Amber, at His Girl. I've followed/become bloggy friends with HG over the past 18 months, and am super honored to have met her. Her faith sharpens my iron. Actually, puts my iron to shame, but is so in line with who you "see" at His Girl. It's fitting that she's a teacher because she's taught me something new every time I read her posts. Without further ado:

1. You have twin girls, who I believe are identical. Don’t laugh—I went to college with Joan and Jean and they were so look-alike, and yet swore up and down that they were fraternal. Anyhoo. You’ve also written a book, I believe, about the experience. First, yay, you! Second, what put the seed of the book in your head? First of all, I’m not laughing at the identical question. The truth is we really don’t know if they are identical. They look so much alike it’s hard for most people to tell which is which, but we would have to do a genetic test to know for sure. I have a children’s book called “My, You Have Your Hands Full” which is kind of an inside joke for parents of multiples. Going out in public with baby-toddler twins in not only really challenging, but also you are kind of a spectacle. Well meaning strangers say the most unbelievable things and almost always say at one point either “double trouble” or “boy, you sure have your hands full.” So, I wrote a poem about it so my girls could know about a time that they won’t even remember. I submitted it to a magazine contest, won, and they (edited it severely!) and turned it into a book. That’s the story.

2. Kind of a piggy back question: You have an awesome 13 y.o. son and two 9 year old dtrs. Do you have a “middle child” in your fam? Or just an oldest and two youngests? Explain. There really isn’t a middle child. I guess if we had one child that fit the description of a middle child it would be the younger twin, who is very much alike in temperament to my husband, who is actually a middle. However, I really think the twin thing makes for a whole different dynamic than the typical three child family.

3. I know you are a teacher—of both adults, and I believe, children, at your church. Teaching seems a very natural gifting in you. Other than the Lord, who inspires this, if anyone? And bottom line: what do you hope to accomplish at the end of your (work) day? Hmmm. I had some really cool teachers in elementary school that likely sparked my love for teaching, and I have some really good role models as an adult (Jon Courson, Patsy Clairmont), but overall, I think a teacher is who I am. Even if I didn’t have a classroom to teach in, I’d still be out there trying to educate others. It’s my best and worst feature. Best when I’m following Christ, worst when I am not.
As far as the end of a workday? I hope I’ve inspired others to look at the bigger picture in any situation. I think one of the most amazing, eye-opening scriptures is Proverbs 21:2 People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their heart. More important to me than to teach technical, practical processes (though I do teach those too) is to help people get to the heart of the rule, strategy, procedure that I have to teach. I find that often that’s the only thing people need to do to be able to be fantastic teachers, volunteers, parents… get their hearts in line with God.
Boy, I love the part about "best when I'm following Christ, worst when I'm not". Certainly tough to keep that eternal perspective in mind in the day to day "schtuff".

4. If you could summarize your husband in one word, what would it be, and why? Well, as you can see, I’m a wordy girl. Picking one word feels impossible. I suppose I’d go with noble. The man is steady, honest, brave, smart, and true. I think that qualifies him to be called “noble” . One of my kids' teachers is Mr. Noble. He probably really felt a need to either live up to or totally denigrate his last name. Thankfully, noble is how I'd describe him, too.

5. Think back on all the good and schlocky TV of our lifetime…which character are you/on what show? Explain. Oh, dear. I am stumped. What’s that show that had the wacky blogger who means well, loves Jesus, her kids, her husband, has amazing friends, is addicted to email, can’t stop talking, and never cleans her house? I’m that character. Sounds like a real housewife of So-Cal episode to me. NOT Orange Cty. :)


Thank you, HG! And, BTW, thank you again for my fancy-schmancy button.
Photobucket

12 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

LOVE this, and again, I love you both.

Gretchen, I sorta want to do this, but I really just don't have the time this week! Give me a rain check, 'kay?

Tiffani said...

Seriously, Gretchen..your questions are sooo good...maybe you SHOULD be a Barbara Walters!!

It was great getting to know "His Girl"...have to check out her blog!

His Girl said...

hehe, that's surreal to read. Wonder if that's how Julia Roberts feels when she reads her stuff in People Magazine.

Wonder if she smacks her forehead and wonders why she said that lame thing too.

xoxoxo.

Jackie said...

Gretchen, I am loving these interviews. So fun to get to know His Girl even better, and I agree...fantastic questions!

Denise said...

This was great.

Becky said...

This was SO fun to read!

Couldn't let a day go by without checkin' both your blogs.

LOL on HisGirl's comment.

Barb said...

Well, both the interviews you've done so far are really great, Gretchen. You're asking some very good questions. And the cool thing is, both people you've interviewed so far are new to me, so this is a great way to get to know new people.

Jenster said...

Great interview! Two of my favoritist peoples ever!

Sheryl said...

Great to get know ever more about Amber. She is quite the celebrity. Now I need to go back and read more of your blog!!

Gretchen said...

Mer--any time. It rains here all the time, so a rain check is no prob at all. :)

Tiffani--Should I get my resume all polished? Oh, yeah, I don't really have one. I haven't worked outside the home since God was a boy. You will enjoy HG.

His Girl--whatever. I lurved your answers.

Jackie--glad you're having fun with us and thank you.

Thank you, Denise.

Becky--So glad that i'm a must read. HOnored. Ditto.

Barb--I'm glad to introduce these gals to you. They both rock. And so do you, BTW. Day 5. Wooty woo hoo.

Jenster--and you're a favoritest, too, so i can't wait to see what you have to say for yourself.

Sheryl--welcome! Glad you stopped in to hear about HG. Pretty cool chick.

Shanda said...

You are so awesome at this! I checked out "His Girl's blog" and loved it. Thanks for giving me one more person to read! ;) My toilets may never get clean at this rate!!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Oh, I LOVE Amber, so I loved this post! :) Thanks for doing it.