Howdy! Week 6 is upon us, and I'm thankful to His Girl for hosting this round. Without further ado:
1. Define "positional holiness" and "personal holiness." What's the difference between the two? Positional holiness speaks to God making us holy thru Christ's blood shed on the cross. Refers to His cleansing of us and setting us apart as perfect in relationship with Him. Personal holiness (a.k.a. practical holiness) is evidenced through the fruit displayed in a believer's life. It refers to God's Holy Spirit abiding in us as we abide in Him, and the power of the Holy Spirit allows us to make obedient decisions within our daily lives which are godly in nature.
2. First Peter 1:13-16 and other Scriptures urge us to be active in our pursuit of holiness. How can we cooperate with God to grow in personal holiness? For me, this begins with repentance and time spent with God, praying and reading the Bible. I haven't been stellar at memorizing verses for this study, but this one just really speaks to me, and keeps leading me through each day, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10. For me, holiness begins here, daily: repentance, forgiveness, grace, mercy, and moving forward upon His truths. To say I'm not cooperating with God at all times is an understatement, but I have seen change, and would even go so far as to say, I've seen some fruit, so I know He's making me holy. Baby steps for me. Grace abundant from Him.
3. How can believers be delivered from hypocrisy and move toward living more authentically holy lives? This is a great question, and it makes me squirm in my seat a bit. One of the reasons IMHO that I need the daily discipline of seeking Him, is to avoid hypocrisy. To "pull the log out of one's eye", so to speak. Need to make sure I'm not just talking the talk, but walking the walk, as well. For instance, when I pray over friends, and/or tell them I'm going to pray for them, do I do it? Do I respond in humility and with grace to things that frustrate me, or do I get angry and pout? Am I gentle and loving with my kids when they make mistakes? What about when they make the same on over.and.over.? Am I really forgiving them 70x7 times? Is my mouth, attitude, and behavior in sync with my heart for God?
4. How did the Lord use the "Put Off/ Put On Exercise in your heart? What are some practical ways you can continue to put off the 'old self' and put on the 'new self'? Shall I cound the ways? Let's just say I'm a definite WIP, for the list is long, but distinguished. Probably, my top 3 areas are:
- putting off pride and putting on humility--this one is such a sneaky way for satan to deceive me, for pride is so insidious
- putting off impatience and putting on patience--this one is so hard! As the old joke goes, I want to be patient NOW. Patience with self, others both outside and inside my family, and especially, patient in my nature. W.a.i.t.i.n.g. without wailing, if you know what I mean.
- putting off neglecting Bible study and putting on consistent Bible study--It stymies me as to why I'm even typing this. Knowing what I know. Believing what I believe. Having the freedom in my country for direct, open worship and Bible study...It's a crime that I'm not running to my Bible each morning with the zeal of a child opening presents on Christmas morning. I do study the Bible. I'm even participating in 2 studies at this point. But still...if I had a nickel for every time I've put off, been interrupted, or avoided study altogether, I'd be rich enough to feed a small country, or buy a bra at Nordstrom, either one.
There were many others to which I identified in the "putting off/putting on" exercise. Many of them, IMO, were sort of sub-sets of pride. I'm seeking His help in them all. If there's anything I've learned over this study and others, it's that God isn't a one-stop shopping experience. He loves us so much that He wants constant communication, and is growing us constantly until pure sanctification and glorification. So...apparently, we're in for a bumpy, growing pain-filled, joyful, and amazing journey. Hang on tight.

7 comments:
I am a WIP too, and I am so grateful the promise of success comes from the "Worker" and not the "worked." No concern about Operator error at least!
Awesome my friend, love you.
Completely cracked up at your "feeding a small country or buying a bra from Nordstroms" comment! Then the partial truth really set in...there was a time when I had such a hard time going out to eat at nicer restaurants knowing that our bill could pay for a family to eat for months in another country. God has brought some balance into that for me;but it's still always there in the back of my mind and heart.
Great thoughts again today!
That pulling the "plank" out of my own eye is a daily struggle. One day at a time, one moment at a time is all we can really do, committing ourselves to Christ along the way.
I look forward to your study every week. Thanks again for sharing.
Positional holiness comes from what God has done and personal holiness relates to the decisions I make.
The good news is that regardless of the bad decisions I may make pursuing the latter, the former is always there.
WOW! Needed to splash around in God's goodness with you today. Thanks for sharing. The world is reading.
Blessings from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn
and I'll be back :)
subsets of pride, indeed.
have I said this a million times already? love that you're doing this study!
Post a Comment