Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Howdy! How About a New Book Review That's Fun For All Of You?



About 3 days ago, I had the misfortune to finish Wrapped in Rain--a Novel of Coming Home , by Charles Martin. I say misfortune, because I soooo did not want to see it end. It is currently so cheap right now at http://www.cbd.com/, that I will purchase a copy. Actually, I'll purchase 2. One to reread, and one to give. I stumbled upon it at the library. Didn't know it was a Christian fiction book. Hadn't heard of Charles Martin.




I was blown away.





This novel is set in southern Alabama in the present time. Tucker, the main character, is a guy in his early-mid thirties, who is now a professional photographer for the likes of National Geographic. He travels the world, typically avoiding his childhood home for long periods of time. He stops for short visits to reload and prepare for the next shoot. There is little good that he seems to remember of his home unless it centers around Miss Ella, a middle aged Black nanny, who took care of him and his brother, Mutt. His musings about and with Miss Ella are the cornerstone of this story. She is what I think of when I hear the phrase "Jesus in skin". She teaches love through doing and through being present.




This is not always an easy novel to read. There is violence, grief, and death. But what a perfect spot for restoration and redemption in some of the most beautiful, hard, sloppy-sweet ways. The characters are real, flawed, and incredibly well developed. I related to a lot of this story. And what I couldn't relate to, I devoured anyway.




One of the reasons I lurved this novel so much, is that I'd be honored to give it to a friend, believer or not. It's so approachable and yet, non-compromising in it's presentation of the Truth.




And so I will give it away. :) Here's where the book review gets fun for all of you:




Here's whatcha do. Go to the cbd.com link (click on the title, if you wish). Go look at the synopsis. If it seems to speak you, and you'd like a copy, please comment, saying something to the effect of, "Precious, lovely Gretchen...I'd lurve me a chance to win this new book." If you aren't in the reading groove right now, I promise not to be offended. But I give this book 5 gold stars.
I'll draw a name on Sunday night. Winner to be posted in my Gladitudes on Monday a.m., June 8th.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Denise said...

Wonderful, beautiful, caring, precious, queen of everything Gretchen, I would really love to read this book. I love you my friend.

Carpool Queen said...

This sounds like a whole lot more fun to read than the stylistic writing manual on my nightstand. And I generally love to win anything.

Amber said...

Pick me!!! Pick me!!!

I need a good book to read right now. Something to keep my mind off of the mindless nothingness that is the Disney Channel not that school is out.

Sheryl said...

oh, i love charles martin!! haven't been reading fiction for awhile now and i would love to change that!!

Anonymous said...

Miss an opportunity to win a BOOK? With WORDS? That you get to READ? Not me!

Especially if it gets 5 stars from Gretchen! By the way, I just checked out the Richard Cohen book from the library. It looks good!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I have so much on my reading plate right now, so thanks, but no thanks. Don't be offended! ;)

Mich said...

Never turn down an opportunity for a new book! Especially one that comes so highly recommended.

Aren't you just the best for wanting to share...

Shanda said...

It sounds amazing. But I'm not allowed to win this one! (Still haven't made the time to finish the other...) Hoping summer will bring some much needed quiet...

Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like a great book! And I especially love books set in the South. :-)

I've been reading so much lately; I need to do a post on all the books I've read.

Hope you are having a lovely day!

Cathy said...

Is this an appropriate time to come out of hiding on your blog? Or is that just tacky to do when there's a prize at stake??

I'll go with completely and totally acceptable...

...even if it's tacky. Because after all a good book is at stake and that cannot be ignored.
:)

Angela Nazworth said...

THat does sound fabulous! Thank you for this review. Hope you have been well (I think I fixed the issue with my blog too) :-)

Jamie said...

I'm on the hunt for a good summer read...maybe this would be the perfect book.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Ya know, precious, sweet, beautiful, wonderful, friendly, Grethen...if I was much of a book reader, I might purchase this book myself. However, my "reading ways" could possibly be changed if a book such as this was GIFTED to me :).

Love ya...regardless of who wins ;).

Tiffani said...

Garsh, better late than never, Tiff.

Count me in, please, since I was jaded by my friend at the library!!

Deb said...

Hi Gretchen,

Hope it's not too late. Would love to win a copy of the book.

And I live in Alabama.

Well-written review. Way to go!