Sunday, June 7, 2009

Gladitude Monday




10. Gladdy McGlad that Big and I finished.painting.the.decks. at the beach house. I'm sweating just thinking of it, but we had fun, in a warped kind of won't-we-appreciate-this-later? kind of way. It was our anniversary celebration. We worked. Without kids and dogs. We went out and played. Without kids and dogs. For 24 hours. No kids. No dogs. Bliss. Happy to be back, but the break was great for all. They lurve their wondersitter.




9. Glad that after said painting, he and I showered and gussied up, and went to a fine Mexican food establishment. The food was amazing. However, the restaurant, new in town, was awaiting it's liquor licensing. So we had a dry anniversary dinner. I'm okay with dry. I am. But I sure had my mouth watering for a frosty margarita to go with all that burrito goodness. The good news is, with all those calories saved, we headed for ice cream afterwards. For we know how to celebrate.




8. Glad that Drama only has 2.5 days left of school. Could we please pull the band-aid off, already? I mean she's been celebrating last this and last that for about 2 weeks now. It's the longest good-bye I've ever heard of. What? Not sentimental enough for you? :) Even the last day doesn't quite end...for then we go to the beach together for one last sandy, surfy good-bye. Still, I'm glad this year in a new school has ended on such a high note.




7. Another braggity gladdation for Drama Girl...I twittered about this, but want to share here, too...She ran for the office of Secretary for Student Council at her school. I was so proud that she put herself out there, especially since this is her first year at this school. And I was proud of all the kids running. The elected were very gracious to those who weren't. And vice versa.




6. Glad that David had portfolio day on Friday, and we got to see him present all the things he's worked on for the past year in his school. I was impressed that he didn't just hand them to us and say, "Here." He went through and at least attempted a brief explanation of each item. I'm especially proud of his magnum opus: a play written in the Greek comedy style (3 folks on stage, and a "peanut gallery"). It's about aliens and squid. Well, he IS 12. Quite funny in a Science Officer Spock-meets-Sheldon-from-the-Big-Bang-Theory way.




5. Glad that Big and I are being accountability health partners. Not that reducing caloric intake doesn't suck; however, doing so with a mate is incredibly more satisfying than going it alone. At least for me. I just have to remember to sing the "I'm Not Bitter" song when he can eat over 2000 calories /day and have the weight fall off him like...buttah. And me? Notsomuch. Doing about 1200 calories. Except when, you know, we're celebratin' the anniversary. The good news is--we're learning to split things, and to (gasp!) share. :) I no longer look like a lioness, bloodied from battle, guarding and hording my evening meal. Baby steps.





4. Glad that Drama's broken heel is doing better. We're not totally in the clear, but by the end of June, I'm thinking she'll be in the clear.



3. Ever so gladdy mc glad, glad, yabba dabba doobity glad that this book is NOW available for pre-orders. I'll have you know that I've rubbed shoulders with the author. And I'm so excited for him and excited to get my copy! Christmas is coming, people! If you read anything at The Dirty Shame, then you'll want one of these. You will. I know I'm not the first to mention this, but hey, word of mouth is the best, right? And since I'm bragging...I'll just finish with this. John's writing is relatable, typically poignant, with the "just right" mix of tender and masculine. Lurve.


2. Glad that I was baptized today! Yes!!! God is so good. The picture below is of one of my favorite people in the world. It's one of the only ones of the day, and I haven't taken the time to retouch the darkness. Big didn't want to take pictures in church--felt funny about that. And I respect him for that. I was tickled to have him there. Back to the pic...V. and I are heart friends. She has been so instrumental in showing Jesus to my kids and me, and I just love her to pieces. She and her husband did the dunking and had the good grace to not keep me under. :) Lurve her. Lurve him. Lurve that my hubby and kids were there, and so were several of my friends. Most of all. Lurve that I finally got my opportunity to thank and proclaim my Maker. Good times.




1. Fantastically radically glad: that I found my wedding ring! Yay! Folks, I lost it probably the day after my anniversary--and I really wasn't being sneaky to gain a new diamond. Really. Anyhoo...I was just sick about it. Didn't realize it was gone until Friday, right when I was ready to take off for my day away with Big. I had taken it off a couple of nights earlier to make meatballs, and just left it off (usually something I never do). I had no idea where it could've possibly gone. Just on a wing and a prayer...I decided to go dumpster diving.


Do you see it in all it's coffee ground-moldy strawberry-disgustipating glory? Big said, "Well, I won't ever say you didn't try hard to find it. "


Indeed, not.


Sigh.


Hope you all have week which includes that for which you are glad.


And...before I forget...The winner of the new book is
Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:6
Timestamp: 2009-06-08 12:53:39 UTC
I think she's at camp. Hopefully this will be a welcome gladdy when she gets home. :)

Photobucket

13 comments:

Tiffani said...

Girl, I had some major gladness going on over my way today...

I was just praying over Big and his attendance to your precious day.

I've gotta get some Gretchen creativity for the word "glad"..yours crack me up, especially today "gladdy mc glad, glad, yabba dabba doobity glad"...

Gladness is catchin', for sure and I always love celebrating your Gladaliciousness with you (ha! I did it!)

Carpool Queen said...

Do I say it ever time you do a Gladitude? Probably my favorite post of the week, for I get to be giddily gladdily with you.

Yay for the ring, mexican food, the dunkin', and a husband who was there for all of it.

God is good!!!

Michelle C said...

Started my morning with your post - and I'm gladdy mc glad that I did! I needed a smile.

YIPPEE for the time sans kids and dog, end of school, and "Church swim". BIG YIPPEE for the Hub's attendance. And Kudos to you for the dumpster dive. So glad it paid off for you.

His Girl said...

Absolutely-cross-my-heart did a literal GASP when I read you found your ring!!!

So glad about that! And about your baptism! And your time with your hubby! And Big going to the baptism!

So many gladitudes. I'm with the rest. these are my McFavorite!

Shanda said...

Coming at this point in the day always leaves me feeling like everyone else took what I wanted to say...so, "ditto" all of theirs and an extra little happy dance over your baptism - husband's attendance included! Definitely good times!

The advice the wise woman gave you is truth. Put on your armor; but keep your eyes where they belong for the enemy is all about being the center of attention and would love nothing more than to distract your gaze - even if in fear or disdain.

Much love!

Becky said...

Wowza! What a lot to be GLAD about!

Yay on the baptism, the kid-free, productive yet fun weekend away with Big and finding that ring that was lost! Doesn't it just give you a cringy feeling in the pit of your stomach to think about what might have happened had you NOT done the dumpster diving? Oy!

Praise God for all the wonderful stuff going on in your life!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm so glad about all your gladdies. But mostly glad you took a picture of that ring in all the funkified food mess. ;)

Really, I'm so thrilled for your baptism, your getaway, your Mexican food (sounds SO good right now), your end of school year happiness, and just everything else you mentioned!!!

Denise said...

This post really touched my heart, love you.

Anonymous said...

GLADDY MCGLADSTER GLADDY DIDDY DOODLE over the finding of the ring. That was seriously making my stomach sick, friend. I'm with Mer. The picture made me feel like I was actually there with you when you found it!! YAAAYY!

I'm SO proud, happy, glad about the baptismal event but we've discussed this.

I'm glad about the blue that's the background of your blog. I think I would like to paint something that color.

Amber said...

I'm way behind on the 'ole blog reading, so I'm just catching up. I must have been all twittered out, too, on the day you found your ring! A big WOOT! WOOT! for that, girly.

And hooray for getting dunked for Jesus. And hooray that hubs was there.

And, as always, I am gladaciously glad for you, Jewels.

Cathy said...

Oh! I will GLADly say the biggest, hugest, most gladacious "DITTO!!" to "what she said"!!!

Love.it.

Unknown said...

I could feel your "glad" while I read...and giggled and snorted.

Especially because I have dug in garbage more times than I care to admit for lost jewelry. I didn't tell you while you were in lost ring panic...but I lost my ring almost two years ago and never found it. :(

Looking forward to the next gladitude post!

Barb said...

Your glad list always makes me feel great, Gretchen. My favorites this time? That your baptism was a family affair, and that you found your ring. Thank goodness you thought to dig through the trash before it went away forever, along with your pretty ring.

And about that long, long goodbye? She's at that age - everything's high drama. LOL