Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Seeking Him Together Bible Study: Week 4



This week's questions are as follows:


1. What is repentance and why is it so crucial in the process of both personal and corporate revival? Repentance is my seeking God to forgive and change my mind/attitude, such that I can change my behavior toward glorifying Him. I believe it's a cornerstone to revival. One cannot be changed w/o a changed heart. And w/o a changed heart, there is no change in behavior (fruit).


2. When God brings conviction of sin to the heart of one of His children, what does it tell us about Him? In my case, often that He's smarter than I give him credit for. Duh. Who do I think I'm fooling? It also tells me that, though He loves me extravagantly, He will not do anything which does not bring glory to himself--this includes going along with my actions and mindset of sin. Ouch.


3. When is the best time to respond to God's conviction and His call to repentance? Why? It's best to respond immediately; to keep the sin from snowballing, and to keep from hiding from God. He wants to heal us--wants us to seek His will and the Holy Spirit in our lives. The longer we sin and fail to turn to Him, the more shame and other garbage (death) get in the way.



Okay, and now here's where I get really real and share my prayer. "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right within me." (Psalm 51:10).

I'm sorry I didn't memorize that verse completely, Lord. But I thank You for it. I am feeling very convicted regarding the time I spend on my social networking, Lord. Thank you for piercing my heart and changing my attitude. I so appreciate these things (blogging, tweeting, email), but they have become idols in my life. I know that my inner child baggage has something to do with this. I'm well liked now. Folks are kind and precious to me. I have wonderful and growing, real relationships from these networks. But I've put them before You and before my family. You are my first true love, and I must turn back to you and away from this sin. Thus, I ask for your forgiveness and cleansing grace. Lord, true repentance is a change in attitude and spirit, and allows for spiritual growth (fruit). I have fallen here, and specifically ask Your help in the following: Please check my heart if I tweet when my daughter is awake in the morning. I don't want her to feel like the interruption she said she felt like yesterday. Thank You for restoring us after my apology. Also, Lord, help me to first seek You each day. Check my heart if I'm hanging out on the computer or my phone before I've asked first for Your direction, worshipped Your holy name, and prayed with You each day. You are worthy and mighty and awesome. I thank You for loving me. For your forgiving, healing grace. For reviving me each day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Thank you, Melissa and Amber for hosting. Hugs!




Photobucket

9 comments:

Diana said...

Thank you for being open and transparent. It can be challenging when things are fun, even with redemptive qualities, but are they still where they should be on our priority list. You've given me things to think on. Thanks.

His Girl said...

Yow! What a beautiful prayer of repentance. speakin' to my heart, ya'are.

Denise said...

Such a lovely prayer my friend.

Shanda said...

Diana & Amber have really already said what I was thinking...balance is only found in and through Him for all of us.

Blessings!

Carpool Queen said...

Ouch - He will not do anything which does not bring glory to Himself. So true and a place I fall short of...

And what does it say that if my kids want to find me they first look in the office?

Amber said...

I've been pondering this whole matter of realness and authenticity this week, so this post of yours is close to my heart. Thank you for being so open. And willing to share your prayer with us.

It just makes me love, I mean LURVE, you more.

Mich said...

Keeping it real...and beautiful.

I am still amazed everyday that God loves me, weaknesses and all.

Thank you. I always need a reminder in my busy life to stop and take time for the Savior, everyday.

Angie said...

Amen and Amen

Melissa said...

In my case, often that He's smarter than I give him credit for. Duh.

Right there with you, friend!

And your prayer...spot on!

So glad you're joining us!