Friday, May 1, 2009

Why I Wish We Had Fish For Pets

Fish don't require: grooming, affection, hypoallergenic food, allergy shots and meds, or exercise. However, the cuddling is pretty awkward and soggy with them. So, I suppose dogs will do. Here is Annie pre and post hairapy. I'm also known as the Dog Hairapist. Not to be confused with the Dog Whisperer. Though I can be heard whispering or yelling thru clenched teeth: "Get over here!". Especially in the drying part of the styling process. I am only taking one for the team doing her hairapy because we finally bit the bullet and invested in a lawn/yard service. So...I'm saving the $50 (before tip) by doing dog hairapy at home. No, please don't call me or ask for my card. My dance card is full.

BEFORE

AFTER




Actually, the above is only about 1/2 of the hair/fur. The other 3/8 is clinging to my grass and blowing around the yard, and the final 1/8 is of course in my lungs. No more feathers and no more Grinchy feet. At least until fall. For now, we'd like to leave the yard outside, where it belongs.
Overall, Annie's a good sport. We went directly from this torture up to the shower. I nearly broke out in song at the fun of showering with my dog. But let me tell you--it's much easier showering together than hoisting her into a tub.
And then...I washed the wiener dog. Murphy is such a good sport. And more importantly, he's light and fits into a sink. That's a score. He's currently waiting on the laundry pile for me (I really should say "a laundry pile", rather than "the") to take his pampered bod upstairs for bed.
So I will. Because I'm tired. For after these reindeer games, to what should my wondering eyes should appear but a 5th grader with math homework. Decimals, metrics, and conversions, OH MY!
Lest you think this post is over, it's not. I wanted to give my friend Andrea a shout. She's a work at home mom who is a brilliant writer, and is offering an on line writing class. She lives in LA, and has worked "in the industry" for years. Check out her background info and class info here.



Photobucket

11 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my goodness. First CPQ rescues me with the extra caps for soured laundry. And then you, friend, rescue me with the brilliance of just chunking the pup in the shower with you. GENIUS!

And my husband wants to know why I blog...

BTW...cute doggie. Love the new 'do.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I never thought of showering with our lab when we had him. I ended up looking as if I'd had a shower anyway.

Annie looks great! Yet another hidden talent of the Gretchen.

K has promised we can get a dog next move. We are very, very excited!! We've been pet-less (well, except for fish-, frog-, turtle- type pets) since 2000.

Suzanne said...

"he's light and fits into a sink", I think that will be the goal for every dog I have in the future! LOL

Why, oh why do I continue to torture myself by reading your blog when I am not allowed to laugh out LOUD?!?

Carpool Queen said...

I loved our fish until he flipped out of the tank. Then I just froze and stared at him struggling to breathe while I freaked out over the thought of actually touching him.

Craig to the rescue.

And then the fish died three weeks later - the day I finally one of the kids handle the changing of the water, etc. Add that to the therapy list.

His Girl said...

well, he looks positively golden there! nice job.

showering with my beagle? not even on a dare.

Denise said...

Great job, he looks so cute.

Michele said...

You did a WONDERFUL job. Can I send an English bulldog your way . .. to stay?

the voice of melody said...

My husband bought a dog clipper a few months ago but so far, it hasn't been used which makes our groomer pretty happy I'm sure. Annie looks so good after her "hairapy"! I bet she smelled nice too after the shower you gave her. :)

Becky said...

I do believe that your dog is SMILING!

My uncle used to use these clippers that attached to a vacuum (FloBee, I think it was called) to clip their poodle mix. The only trouble was that pup had a fear of vacuums, and he'd have to chase it down as soon as it saw the clippers come out, lol.

Yeah, fish aren't terribly cuddly. It's hard to justify snuggling with them when they're struggling for their lives, lol.

Barb said...

Good grief, post a warning, will you? I almost choked to death on my Coke when I read that you and the dog took a shower together. LOL

Honestly, the mental image I'm getting is hysterical.

That looks like a $50 haircut to me - good job!

I have both. The dog. And the fish. The dog is cuddlier but the fish are actually quite affectionate. They're not big on being petted, but they really perk up when they see me heading toward them with the fish food. They recognize me. Really. They do.

I can't even fathom taking a shower with Chelsea. Can you imagine? She weighs nine pounds. Soaking wet. LOL

Tiffani said...

AWWW, love that big 'ol Annie...

I got a "free" grooming session from my BIL while they kept Sugar during our trip..she was so pretty to come home to!

I do love me some doggie cuddles and I HATE icky, stinky, fishy water...