Well, it's not officially, officially summer yet, but I thought the red, white, and blue worked nicely for the holiday. Happy Memorial Day, everybody. God Bless America.Whidbey Island, WA is a treasure for our family, and we've been blessed to have a beach house there for almost 2 years. I thought it might be fun to do a pictoral Gladitude, showing some of my gladdy mcfavorite things about Whidbey. You'll notice that eating is a pretty high priority.
The Bayview Farmer's Market. We usually get cheeeeeese, Grommit!
And on occasion: An incredible, edible, marionberry, gladariffic pie.


Then, sometimes, we go to Mike's Place, for desirable edibles, such as chocolate chip pancakes, huevos rancheros, turkey club sandwiches, and omelets. But we try not to go to Mike's for the same meal as the farmer's market. Ahem.

Oh, look! Another restaurant. Does Gretchen cook at all? This one serves green eggs and ham. Shall I count the ways it makes me glad? Moving on...
The Clyde Theater makes me ever so gladdy! We just saw Monsters and Aliens last night. $6 for adults, and $4.00 for kids, I think. Popcorn starts at $1/bag. Drama was asked by the theater owner if she wanted to start the movie last night. How often does that happen at the metroplex? Of course the movies are about a month old, but we're usually not the first to the theater, anyway.
Whales make us all glad! We haven't seen a gray whale for a while now, but we don't give up trying! Also, it's fun to look for seals and sea birds, too. The kids (and most of these "urban" shots) are in Langley, a town about 4 miles from our house. They roll up the streets and shut down the town at 9 p.m., but we likey.
Of course there's hardly anything that gladifies us more than going beach combing. When the tide goes out, we can walk out at least a 1/2 mile, and look at things like crabs, heron, and these live sand dollars, below. When alive, they're inky black. Poor crabs are dead, but don't they make for a great picture? :)
Below: Mr. Bald Eagle. My favorite animal to see on Whidbey. This guy was pretty far away, so the picture isn't great, but I LURVE SEEING THESE on the beach and near our house. Majestic.
Finally, a fun tradition, started last year is building a driftwood fort. Last year, as you may recall, we built Ft. Stinky--so named after the stinky fish and seaweed.
Below: Mr. Bald Eagle. My favorite animal to see on Whidbey. This guy was pretty far away, so the picture isn't great, but I LURVE SEEING THESE on the beach and near our house. Majestic.
Finally, a fun tradition, started last year is building a driftwood fort. Last year, as you may recall, we built Ft. Stinky--so named after the stinky fish and seaweed. Yesterday, after many failed attempts, a bruised thumb (me), bruised unmentionables (David), we went home and built up energy and momentum.
Today, I give you, with all the gladitude in my heart:



17 comments:
I loved this post sweetie, and I love you.
Oh, Jewels! I know that it isn't nice to be jealous, but I truly am. In the most Christian way I can think of.
YOU ARE SO BLESSED! What a beautiful place to have to escape the hustle and bustle of real life!
And once again, I'm gladdie McGladacious for you, my beach combing-bodacious cowboy hat wearing-friend. Heart ya.
I am SO comin' to visit you there, Gretchen. And SOON. ;)
Cool about that movie. We dropped $60 between admission, popcorn and soda yesterday.
What a charming place to live.
Sounds like you and yours had a fun weekend!
Happy Memorial Day!
Sounds like so much fun! Loved the pics!
Oh, how I love your Gladitude Mondays! Let me count the ways...
Charming! I am so jealous! I love all things beachy.
Sounds glorious! The beach is such a refreshing place. Hope to get to one soon!!
Delighted to meet you! Just found your blog and truly am enjoying diggin' up the treasure that lies in your words. I love your title, can you imagine the joy you will feel when you lay your crown at the feet of our Lord. Keep writing, the world needs to see your jewels sparkling and reflecting His light.
Blessings from Costa RIca,
Sarah Dawn
I am COMING to see you!!! Look at all those fun places to hang out. And the fort? Fantastic!
What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL and CHARMING town that is! How blessed you are to have time there. I love it!
It looks soooo much like Vashon Island, where Jeff and I spent our honeymoon and our 10 year anniversary. I can TOTALLY see why you love it there. You are indeed blessed.
Loved your entire list. This place serves green eggs and ham. That's how my fam remembers things, too, lol.
oh the thing about gladitudes is how I can be so gladdy gladdy glad glad with you and hardly a bit jealous for reals. There's something about pure thankfulness that is just pure beauty to see... makes others smile... makes me glad too!
Making me think of that song that goes "He has made me glad, He has made me glad, I will rejoice for He has made me glad, glad, glad!"
This post makes me exceedingly happy.
Someday I would love to visit there.
Just to say hello.
Hello to the bald eagles, and the whales, and the sweet little town.
And, most importantly, to eat some cheese with you.
LOVE IT! So beautiful. Looks so fun and peaceful there.
What an amazingly incredible place. I'm gladdy McGladerston that my friend is blessed by this place. I'll bet it's even better in real life. Write it down somewhere...if it is at ALL up to me, I will come and visit you here someday.
Wow--so gorgeous. Life has been insane...I've missed coming here...but I thought of you often. Oh I think I fixed my technical woes. Everyone should be able to read my blog again. Yay!
What PERFECT vacation spot. Perfect. You are so blessed to have a vacation home here - I can't even express how happy that makes me.
Ooooh, that pie. Never had marionberry, but it sure looks like pure deliciousness.
Post a Comment