Thursday, May 7, 2009

sigh...hurts so good.

Well, thank you for helping me look. I did find my brain. It was under the sink, right by the trash can. Ever since posting my "gladitudes", I've been in a battle of truth vs. how I feel about things. Thank you, Satan. You can go back to hell now, where you belong. I've been tempted. Oh, so tempted, to forget about truth and to allow Satan to trash my spirit by succumbing to my feelings of what's true, regardless of, you know, the truth of the matter. Maybe these feelings have crossed your mind. You know, those same type of feelings which say: "you deserve", "you're entitled", "you're worthless/worth more", "you'll never", "you'll always", "s/he'll never/always", and one of my faves, "Why can't s/he____?" "Why can't I______?".

Thing is...I can't just be satisfied with one battle...I have to battle God, too. Instead of clinging to what is noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy...I'm clinging to my pride and self pity. Having a grown up style tantrum and pout, if you will. Sticking my tongue out at maturity, and flipping off right choices. Narcissism in the highest. Ick.

As you can imagine, this has left me teary, and tired.

So, I've made the decision. Right now. At this moment. To fix my eyes on Jesus. For they've been off Him for too long. And to repent: I'm so sorry, Lord, for not putting my faith in Your ability to satisfy all my needs---ALL my needs. All the time. I know that I can trust you, and yet, I've leaned into my own devices. I am broken and ashamed. And ask Your forgiveness and mercy--knowing I deserve neither, but by grace receive them. I praise you, dear Abba, and ask you to wrap me in Your comfort, strength, focus, and peace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Photobucket

19 comments:

Suzanne said...

Father, I lift up my friend Gretchen and ask that you strengthen her and shower her with your amazing peace. In Jesus' precious name, AMEN!

Love ya girl!

Carpool Queen said...

I shall sing "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim...in the light of his glory and GRACE."

Grace to you - it's given - just go in it....

Sheryl said...

Thank you, Gretchen. Seems our brains have been in the same place lately.

Great post.

Unknown said...

Lord! (and I mean that in the lost honest and reverent way!

Girl! You don't know how I need to hear this. This specifically:

"I've been in a battle of truth vs. how I feel about things. Thank you, Satan. You can go back to hell now, where you belong. I've been tempted. Oh, so tempted, to forget about truth and to allow Satan to trash my spirit by succumbing to my feelings of what's true, regardless of, you know, the truth of the matter. "

Sheesh, I have nothing else to add except, thanks. For keeping it real. And preaching to a girl who needed some truth this week.

Love ya...

Unknown said...

I really should proof before I send...I meant most in that first sentence...not lost.

Unknown said...

Gretch, I have been in this very place..... I cling to that scripture, Let us fix our eyes upon Jesus.

I smiled when you sent Satan back to hell. You go girl...

I pray tomorrow you wake up and ole Satan shutters and says, "Crap- She's awake!"

Tiffani said...

Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks...

I can see that your heart is full of very sincere thoughts and truth that we all can glean from reading your words here today, my friend!

Michelle C said...

Gretchen - I am praying Colossians 1:9b-12a for you:
"... We have been asking God to fill you with the knowledge of what he wants. We pray that he will give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.
10 We pray that you will lead a life that is worthy of the Lord. We pray that you will please him in every way. So we want you to bear fruit in every good thing you do. We want you to grow to know God better.
11 We want you to be very strong, in keeping with his glorious power. We want you to be patient. Never give up. Be joyful
12 as you give thanks to the Father."

Hang in there!

Mich said...

Your post blessed me today.

Isn't it wonderful that we have a loving Heavenly Father who understands and meets us where we are?!

I pray He covers you with His perfect peace and love today.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Good girl. You chose well, and you've encouraged me with this post to do the same.

His Girl said...

*sigh* yes indeed.

Amber said...

Oh, Gretchen. How I feel like I could have typed those exact words. This week has been a battle and a half for me. But, God's peace is mighty.

Thanks for being you.

Shanda said...

Amen.

Satan's been putting in some overtime with me this past week too. Pride and self pity are kind of like two sided tape. I find I've got to get truth and Godly perspective stuck on both sides just to get them off of me...

Love & Prayers!

Denise said...

Sweetie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. God loves you so very much, I do too.

Jackie said...

I am saying a prayer for you right now. And for myself as well. All week I have been listening to the voice that says, "You can't do it." And I've been believing it. Even though it's a LIE.

So I'm joining you in fixing my eyes on Jesus.

Becky said...

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

Oh, Gretchen, we are so alike. I am in the same place. Good for you! Many graces your way.

9ndhouse- Katie said...

What a wonderful post! So glad I found you, thanks to Andrea Frazer! I will enjoy following your blog. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Your post is so timely. I am in the second week of a Bible study entitled Me, Myself and Lies. The main theme is that the thoughts we think about ourself are like the clothes we wear.

I find that I am wearing alot right now that doesn't "fit" who God says that I am yet I seem bound and determined to continue.

This totally sums up how I have felt "I've been in a battle of truth vs. how I feel about things. Thank you, Satan. You can go back to hell now, where you belong. I've been tempted. Oh, so tempted, to forget about truth and to allow Satan to trash my spirit by succumbing to my feelings of what's true, regardless of, you know, the truth of the matter. "

Praying that we will both find victory in this battle. Glad we serve such an awesome GOD!