
1. How are worry & anxiety expressions of pride rather than humility? Worry and anxiety stem from thinking about how things will be within my own power. They indicate that somehow I have the power to change the universe. What pressure! Further, it seems that worry and anxiety point to a lack of faith/trust that my future is secure in the truths of the Living God. Doing anything within my own power (in the Kingdom of Me) is contradictory to total dependence and surrender to God. We are to do nothing without Him, and are to abide in Him each day. The Lord's Prayer (Matt 6:9-13) reminds me to ask even for my daily bread. Just enough to get through today. Make a daily, mustard-seed commitment to God, and He'll provide the rest. To His glory. And, as we know, worrying about tomorrow while living today doesn't help anything: "each day has enough trouble of its own."(Matt 6:34)
2. How did God speak to you as you went through the list of "proud vs humble" people?
He broadened the definition of "proud" in my head. I knew, but didn't k.n.o.w. that it's prideful to be grossly independent and/or self-sufficient. When I'm completely self-reliant, I interfere with others' abilities to serve in God's stead (with their God-given talents and gifts). And of course the idea of having "rights" is ludicrous, the more I think of it. Sounds just as misled as "deserving" one thing or another (other than wrath, of course). Being raised by a single mom, a mom who was not supported alimony or much at all in the way of child-support, I was totally TAUGHT to be as independent and self reliant as possible. "Don't let a man support you..." "Don't rely on anyone; you'll just get hurt..." Hard to not hear those tapes in my head. But nothing's impossible with God. He's working with me on this, thankfully.
3. If you feel comfortable, share one expression of pride you have been convicted of in this past week. Why thank you for asking. I don't feel comfortable at all, but have my toes wet, so might as well jump in...
I had a small solo last week at church while serving on the worship team. I was so stinkin' nervous, from the time the worship pastor asked me if I'd do it (Wed night) to Sunday, right through my "performance". I know it's not "performance"; it's worship, but still. There's a performance factor, just as any preacher knows that any message has a component of "show" to it. Anyhoo...I'm a little discouraged because I identified these feelings as prideful: wanting to sound good, wanting to make sure that folks weren't distracted by my voice, etc. So I prayed over this, repenting for my pride, and assuring God that I was singing only to and for Him. I know I was obedient, and gave my all in worship to Him, but I gotta say, I didn't feel peaceful until I was finished with my solo. The other songs were peaceful for me, but not that one. I felt like I sounded horrid. I could hear the tremor in my voice. Again, the pride returns. Gaah!Realizing that He uses what we have to bless others and to glorify himself, I know that Sunday morning ended up okay. I rest in the truth that I surrendered my heart as best I could, and He tapped into the rest. This is an example--one of the many--of my feelings belying my spiritual truth. Can't always count on feelings. But I can count on truth. Apologies if this only makes sense to me.
Thank you again, Amber and Melissa for walking through the muck with us all. To victory, baby.

17 comments:
Wonderful, truthful answers my friend.
"They indicate that somehow I have the power to change the universe."
I think I waste more brain cells working plans for a future over which I have absolutely no control. I have to fight it every.single.day.
I echo CPQ!!
What a heart you have to put your answers right out on the blog (those kind of Q&A Bible studies always intimidate me--though I've done a bazillion of them).
Your words have caused me to think on my heart this morning..thanks for sharing!!
The Kingdom of Me...yep, I can identify on that one!
Ditto on self-reliance.
So glad you're participating!
in the Kindgom of Me. *sigh*
my definition of proud changed lots too during this study, which apparently was a good thing. humility is a noble thing to strive for, and I'm afraid it's going to be an daily battle until the bitter end.
Loving your participation in this study.
I give your "dine in" a 10! :)
Loved that you quoted Matthew 6:34. I needed that reminder today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for sharing your heart with us each week.
You have blessed me today.
And thanks for the encouraging comments yesterday when I was having my "moody mom day."
I posted Beth Moore's "My Name is Pride" poem awhile back on my blog...it is SO powerful. I read it every once in awhile to keep myself "in check" so to speak.
That and God gave me children who keep me humbled in the most unique ways as well!!
I used to sing in a small ladies choir. (our church was televised too BTW) I know EXACTLY what it is that you were sharing from your personal example. The irony in it: when I was truly singing to the Lord in praise and worship, it ALWAYS sounded better. When I would allow myself to become entrapped with the idea of singing in front of people; not my best. I know it wasn't how I "felt" about my own singing; it was recorded.
Recently I heard someone say that gifts from God are similar to gifts that we give our children. When we see them playing with and enjoying the gift that we gave them, we don't rip it out of their hands and tell them that they were being prideful for enjoying them. Instead we take joy in seeing their joy. Just as our heavenly Father takes joy in us using and enjoying our gifts. We just need to remember who gave the gift to us!
Sorry, didn't mean to write a book!
Especially liked:
He broadened the definition of "proud" in my head. I knew, but didn't k.n.o.w. that it's prideful to be grossly independent and/or self-sufficient. When I'm completely self-reliant, I interfere with others' abilities to serve in God's stead (with their God-given talents and gifts).
Great stuff.
OMG...I just read carpool queen's comment and she is so right.
Loved your insights, Gretchen.
Oh, we puff ourselves up to such great heights sometimes, don't we? Thinking more highly of ourselves (and our abilities) than we ought.
Love the first part about how worry/anxiety are actually expressions of pride. Some worry is natural and inevitable...something we all need to work on. But there is excessive worry, too, which people don't always understand for what it is.
I'm so right there with you in the pride thing. Hard to shake. I'm encouraged by your transparency.
Deb
I'm so glad that you answer these questions out in the open like this. I love the peek into your heart. Very Very Good Stuff.
The Kingdom of Me....uh, yes. That would be me.
And how many times have I denied someone a blessing just because I'm too pig-headed to let anybody serve me? Shamefully too many to even count.
Thanks for the reminder.
And I'm sure your solo was beautiful.
I can completely relate to the feelings with the solo, and I think you have a really solid perspective on it. The devil just wants to put a big 'ol mirror in front of our face at all times and even more intensely when we stand up in front of people for God's purposes. We fall into his trap when we look at it - either for good, praising our selves, or for bad, analyzing why we suck. Just keep looking past it to Jesus and you'll be ok.
Okay, I know a Bible study post isn't the place to put a comment about general miscellaneous-ness, (even a word?), but I didn't know where else to put it--Gretchen, your blog is so fun to read! I could sit here for ages reading, except that dinner would burn or one of my kids would write on the walls. But I would, if I could. So I just wanted to say hi, and let you know how glad I am that you blog/post comments--reading your words never, ever fails to make me laugh! And after the last week that I've had, that's a really nice thing :)
Post a Comment