Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stray Thoughts with Gretchen:

Things you might overhear in my house...



"Mom, Dad says you're obsessed with blogging, Facebook, and Twitter. Are you obsessed?"



or



"Gretchen, do you really need 3 electronic social networks?"

Why, yes. Yes, I do. And guess what? Big actually tried Twitter for a while. Without.telling.me. And now he's a mocker. Because he felt like the updates on his fave sports figures were just too much. But he's not such a mocker that he's not helping me set it up and work it with my phone. He just happens to shake his head in resignation.





Support can be beautiful. I hear, anyway.

Moving on...



"Mom, I think it's pretty disturbing that you have a crush on (new) Spock."



"Mom, did you vote for Kris? I really like him. Vote for Kris. No, not Danny, Kris". (This after we assured them that we'd vote for Adam and another. I suggested Kris or Danny, Amber. Ahem.


And moving on. "What'djyado yesterday, Gretchen?"

Yesterday, I failed as the strong, stoic type. I took my daughter in to see the podiatrist after getting tired of hearing her complain several weeks of heel discomfort which was aggravated by her running in and doing all things track. Even though she only has 3 more meets, I feel like it's important to nip whateveritis in the bud so that other running sports aren't a problem (she had mentioned heel pain in the past when playing soccer). So, I took her to her primary doc, began PT, and scheduled an appt with the podiatrist. Yesterday, the podiatrist took an xray, and it seems little Drama has a stress fracture in her heel at the growth plate. I haven't read me no xrays since doing swallowing studies as a speech therapist many aeons ago. But I can see broken. Poor little duck. So, when we looked at this xray together with Drama Girl, the dream crusher doctor told her: no PE, and no track. Period.

Well, I tried. I knew, in watching that little face-trying-so-hard-to-be-a-"mature"-10-year-old-while-crumpling-anyway, that I needed to give a hug and be strong. Well, I got the first part. But dangitall if I wasn't tearing up, too. We know (and praise Him) that catching this when we did means she won't be in a cast. It means that for a month of her life, she won't be doing stuff she likes to do. She can try long jump (the probable culprit) when her bones have fused, and she can run in events until then. That really, this is small. But when you're 10, you want to be doing those lemming important things that your friends do. Yeah, the running is part of it, but you've just joined a new school this year, and you're just now feeling a part of the team. So, I cried for her and with her. For just a little. For I needed to drive, and only one person can be wrecked at a time in our family. That's my policy.

And then I prayed with her.

And then I made her laugh. Because that's what I do.

Lastly, I treated her with medicinal Starbucks white vanilla bean frappucino with a shot of hazelnut, and dropped her off at school.



Photobucket

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for Big, we mock what we do not understand.

As for Little Drama: If you would have told me when I was ten years old that being the parent of a hurting child hurt more than actually being the hurting child, I would have tossed my feathered banged head and looked at you like you were an alien (which actually was my standard look at the time). But it's so true. Injustice or the appearance of injustice towards my children is MUCH more painful than any hurt feelings I ever had growing up.

It sounds like you handled things just beautifully, friend. (Good call on the Starbucks and making her laugh.)

Suzanne said...

My family would say I'm obsessed with blogging and facebook and silly games and email, but I tried twitter and couldn't get it to work with my phone. It was a while ago though...I think they were still working out the glitches. Guess I might have to check into it again (and have yet another obsession..lol).

When I see new Spock all I can think of is Syler from Heroes. :::shudder::: I did LOVE the movie though! We might even go see it a second time and we never do that!

I was so totally rooting for Danny, but I didn't vote. Bummers, it's all my fault!

Saying a prayer for Drama. Hope she's better soon!

Becky said...

Boo on growth-plate fractures!

Yay for moms that cry with their disappointed children and then find ways to make them laugh again. You're a good mommy, Gretchen, knowing just what she needed.

I know it's still fresh and difficult news for her now, but when she is completely mended, she'll still have plenty of time to participate in and get really good at sports.

Maybe the Lord has in mind something else for her to discover during this 'restriction' from running...

Unknown said...

So sorry for Drama girl. Those things ARE hard to accept at any age, but especially that preteen age where most of life revolves around your peer group!

Hang in there! And let me just tell you that you are raising that girl up right? A trip to Starbucks is the cure-all for anything that ails you!

I self-medicated with a Cinnamon Dolce Latte just yesterday!

Tiffani said...

That was truly like being a fly on the wall..I've always wanted that experience!! :)

I hope DG makes the best of her lemons..what a good mama she has to help her through it!!

Shanda said...

"...only one person can be wrecked at a time in our family. That's my policy."

It is now officially one in ours too! ;)

I have to agree with Suzanne about Spock...EEWWW. Although I am still meowing along with you from the other day!

Amber said...

What?! You voted for Glambert? say it ain't so, Jewels. At least you "suggested" Danny. More than I can say for Tiffani. Hurmph.

Bless Drama's heel. And her heart. And her love for...uh...running. That one is beyond me -- because why someone would want to run for fun doesn't process in my brain -- but, I'm praying for Drama despite my confusion!

Oh...and I'm not a Tweeter...am I missing out on good stuff that I need to be a part of?! Because, I'm beginning to feel a little left out.

Denise said...

Praying for dear Drama Girl.

Mich said...

Oh, my heart goes out to your sweetie and to you. It is so hard being a mom sometimes. She is a lucky girl to have you. Hang in there.

As for American Idol. I like you girlfriend, but you know already I am a Kris and Danny fan. Your man is good, I'll give you that, but I'm going to be loyal and stick with my homeboy Kris. Since Danny is gone...:(

My family says I hog the computer. I don't understand what they could mean! :)

Gretchen said...

Snoodle: He doth mock what eludes him, I fear. Did you have a comb sticking out of your pocket for your feathered hair? I think I had a green one with a rainbow. Back when rainbows were simple.

Suzanne: I lurve it when you write :::shudder::: :) Glad you're part of the computer over use support group.

Becky: I agree, I think maybe swimming or volleyball might be more up her alley. Not saying never to running, but she's tall with long limbs.

Kellie: Lurve CDL medication. It's also vitamin, too, in case you're healthy. And medication when stressed, sick, or sad.

Tiffani: You are sweet. She's so far ahead of where I was at that age--I know she'll be fine, but it did...how you say...suck.

Shanda: It's a good, all purpose rule, I think. Usually we follow it.

Amber: I'm cornfused, too. But re: the 3 amigos, I really would've been happy with all/any of them. But Honey, adam is going to win. He just is. I don't care how cute little Kris' mouth is when he sorta pucker-sings.

Denise: Thank you. xxxooo

Mich: Your family must be as delusional as mine. And I say the same thing to you as to Amber. Lurve Kris (a little), but Adam will win. I do like that they all seem to be kind to each other.

Carpool Queen said...

What a good mom you are to cry with her, because sometimes it's not fun to cry alone.

Tell her she'll get all sorts of attention with the boot, though, and sympathy points from the boys because she stuck it out and ran while it was broken.

She's a hero.

And you are too for the Starbucks.

Julie said...

You are such a good momma! I loved your heart here!

I hope you know how much of a blessing you are to me. Your words always bless me!

xoxoxoxo

His Girl said...

do you NEED three social networking networks? does your husband NEED all the tools in the toolbox? hmph.

haha

I love the kind of mama you are. She's going to remember that stuff forever. simply forever.

the voice of melody said...

Bless her little heart, and feet. Glad you were able to cheer her up with that Starbucks concoction. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't look at the new Spock without thinking of Sylar, mega-evil killer from Heroes!! Oh, no. There will be no crush, real or imaginary, in this house. ;)

I've enjoyed your blog. Hopped over here from La Vida Dulce.