Thought 2: I'm a fairly "live and let live" gal. Things may bother me, but generally speaking, I try not to pout, point, or judge when it comes to other folks' business. But, I'm sorry--I do not need my morning latte served "Coffee, Tea, or Me?" style.
I thought I'd share the wealth of what one of these lovely establishments looks like. I'm sure the 20 years ago me would give my 40 year old self a slap and tell me to "snap out of it!", but I just can't. Yes, I can try to avoid these establishments on our Thursday morning coffee runs, but really? Really? Should I have to explain these to my kids? How about "Pasties on Mon and Wed!". Even if we don't stop at one of the strip joints , we see them on every drive we take around the city. How do you explain the young girls denigrating themselves for tits tips while serving c.o.f.f.e.e. ? I just want to hand those girls a sweater and a hug and tell them to go to school, get good grades, and that they are worth so much more than this. I want to tell them that their Father weeps for them. That He loves them extravagantly. That He has something so much more special for them than this. Sorry, I know I'm soap-boxing. Still. What's next?
Thought 3: I feel like summer is upon me, and I'm just starting to realize it. I need to start fleshing out our plans/schedule for when we'll be here and when we'll be either vaca-ing or living at the beach house. Funny how we think summer is such a l-o-n-g stretch of time, when it goes as fast as every other part of the year. Of course by mid August, I'll be singing a "I am so ready for school to start!" tune. But right now, it feels as though it's sneaking up on me, and I have the "behind" feeling. I'm tempted to insist on a mandatory first week of rest (thank you, Mer, for that vision), but VBS is that week. Perhaps we'll just nap in the p.m.s. After being among 500 sweaty little bodies, focused on Jesus, we'll be tired. Okay, I'll be tired. Other than doing tutoring (I know math doesn't really stink, but my daughter thinks it does), and the stray trip to see friends/company for a few days, I don't really have anything carved in stone. Phooey on the "behind" feeling after all. Hmmm...maybe where I'm at is just okay. Thanks, Bob Newhart, I feel so much better.
And one thing's for sure. Summer brings more time to read. To myself.
Blessings on your weekend. Many of you are dealing with stresses which grieve my heart. Know that I'm praying for each one.
20 comments:
You have to read Watership Down, it's the most fabulous book. I've read it twice and really would love to read it again. Fabulous, fabulous with or without voices. I swear you'll never see a rabbit quite the same again.
Now about the drive through coffee.... good grief, maybe we really are all going to hell in a handbasket!
I can't believe summer is here!
Days just seem to fly by...
I really just want to be able to stop and smell the roses, but there never seems to be time.
I am not the best out-loud reader. Thankfully, my kids are highly motivated to read on their own, though I often read what they're reading...just not TO them.
Cannot wait for my mandatory week-o-rest. We have almost a month before VBS which makes me very thankful!
Am I sheltered? I didn't know they had those kind of coffee shops. I'm with ya' honey. On whatever advice you want to give....
I haven't read Watership Down. I just read Anne of Green Gables last week (Whimzie was on my case). I'll add it to the list, because now that everything is in re-runs, it's reading time. I'll read to myself. Goes faster that way.
Wow. Maybe their boss is asking them to dress that way to "stimulate the economy?" I'm sure they have increased their male customers...very sad though. Truly, what is there left to wear/or not wear? It's one thing if you live in Panama City....
Oh, I like the one week of mandatory rest! I may have to do that too (a little behind in my reading so missed that nugget from Mer!)
Enjoy your weekend!
Many, many fond winter evenings we've spent reading the Little House series aloud in our home...and now, the boy seems to be growing out of that. But I'm guessing that in the same way I remember my mom reading that to us when we were young, he'll want to read that one to his own kids, so all is not lost, lol.
Love the idea of a week of rest (and reading). 4 days of school left next week, and it feels like it's a month away. Whew, I'll be glad when summer is here.
P.S. Praise the Lord for 500 VBSers! THat's great!
Awww...I would love to sit and listen to you read!
As for the drive through coffee, yuck. I feel the same way about Hooters.
I cannot even express to you just how much I'm looking forward to summer! Still, I will miss my friends and the kids...
My kids aren't going to want me to read aloud to them forever?! Insert Peanuts' style WAAHHH! here.
Drive through bikini girls/coffee places apparently haven't reached the Deep South yet. Sheesh...
Our Summer is gonna be packed...but it's a good thing!
I hope you guys have a great VBS.I always help with mine, but by the end of the night and after 3 hours with whiny children I don't have the charity of Jesus in me quite right. But, it all turns out great in the end!
I have got a HUGE pile of books to read...massive!
What's up with the bikini clad coffee girls? I don't think we have those down south. Thank goodness. We also have fried okra. Maybe you should move here.
So glad it is summer!!! Rest, friend. You deserve it!
Would you like to take turns reading aloud with me sweetie? I love you.
You definitely touched on one of my current hot buttons! I can't stand those "coffee" places! More like coffee strip clubs! There are signs out front that say "pasties today" and "flash Friday". It makes me sick and so sad for those girls. Grrrrr....
Hi, I came over here from Becky's blog. I'll be back. Happy Summer to you!
Thought 1 - waaahhh! I am so going to miss it when my turn comes and she doesn't want to read with me anymore. And I know with certainty that you are an excellent reader - I can just tell. :)
I'm with CPQ - I didn't know those places existed! What in the world? So sad....
I can't believe that day will come when the kids reject the Read-Aloud!!! That will probably be as bad as the day The Girl rejected the hair bow!!
The coffee shop situation is really tragic. I am with you. Someone need to tell those girls that selling them selves out so that someone else can make a buck is really such a tragedy....
I too need to remember that my romantic notions of long lazy summer days aren't always (ever) realistic! I better start making our plan too!
Happy Sunday!
I wanted to invite you to participate in "Blogger Appreciation Week" this week! You were one of the bloggers I mentioned by name in hopes that many more would find your blog and be blessed by it!!
I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I am glad I did,I loved reading your post and I have a new book idea to read this summer!
I too am glad summer is upon us. I have three boys, and homeschool the younger two, the oldest is 18 and done. I cant wait to go start our summer routine, of not being so routine!
Nice to "meet" you!
I could.not.agree.more with thought #2. We, too, have some of these establishments in town, and girlfriend, I would have spent WAY longer on that soapbox.
and my 1st grader is ALREADY reading the Narnia books all by himself. *Big sigh*
I did not know that hooter coffee was a thing. all I can say is WHATEVER!
and now I will go appreciate that my son wants me to read him the same book out loud again, and again, and again, and...you know. He actually memorizes them word for word. Its scary.
Post a Comment