I realize, today being Mother's Day and all, several of us might be posting about out moms or about motherhood in general...Cool. In this case, I don't mind being unoriginal at all, for we all do have motherhood in common, whether we have kids or not: we were kids. I was raised by my mom, with only small chunks of childhood spent with my dad, since they were divorced in 1975. Waaaaay back then (for you young uns who had yet to be born), it was typical for the mother to have custody of the children after a divorce. You could say I was also partially raised by my maternal grandmother, who came to live with us when I was 12. So today is a day in which I'll give 10 randomish things--both related to these ladies, and related to my own experiences as a mom.
Around...1989
9. I learned sacrifice and making the best of a situation from my mom in some of our poorest times. We'd have "treat" supper. In other words, a Reeses peanut butter cup was a delicious and delightful dinner when she only had 38 cents in her pocket. Who was I to complain?
8. Never tell your mom a secret that you don't want your grum to know. And vice versa. I don't know why I never caught on to this. I really thought they were both such great confidantes. And in a way...they were. I think I told my grum I'd had sex (oh, be quiet) before I told my mom...perhaps knowing that she'd soften things for me.
7. BTW, losing the rest of my readership...my grum bought me a Playgirl mag when I was about 14. I literally had no idea what guys looked like,
6. My mom had a lot of problems. Goodness, mercy a. l.o.t. of problems. And I often think that God released her from her work here so He could care for her, since obviously, she was having a hard time caring for herself so. There were plenty o' days when I'd wonder (since she was self destructive) when she'd die, and how I'd feel. Would I be miserable? Would I be relieved? I thought, in all my 20-something wisdom, that I'd feel sad, but relieved. I was right. However, I don't think I counted on the depth of either of those emotions. Actually, I know I didn't. But to this day, I see the Hand of grace all over her death. Her life and death impacts me today, and I like to think...speaks into who I am.
5. I never knew that good dads were necessary in the raising of children until I saw one in action. This is not a slam against my dad; I'm over that, and we're fine with each other. Rather, it's a prop to my husband. He makes me a better mother by modeling patience, unemotionality (e.g. "not taking the bait), and perseverance with them. When I throw up my hands, he brings me back down to a "we can't give up on them" reality. A reality I know, but find so hard to achieve on my own all the time.
4. I am so grateful I could have children. Whether delivering them myself, or mothering through adoption, I knew I wanted to be a mom. And as my childbearing years draw to a close, adopting more, though probably unlikely, is a comforting thought.
3. I never knew how hard on myself I could be until I had children. Especially, I think, because I stay home with them. In other words, this is my only job, so I hope they turn out well. But I'm coming to grips with the fact that I can only do what I can do, and the rest is up to them. And God's grace and mercy, as well. If there's anything I miss from having a job, it's that rubric of satisfying an expected behavior or goal.
2. One of my favorite memories of my mom is her, in her bedroom, smoke thick, listening to Willie, Waylon, and the Boys or Joan Baez, and belting it out in the most off-key, joyous voice possible. She never understood that when wearing headphones, one shouldn't sing. Or maybe she did notice and didn't care.
1. I now know what "they" mean when they say, "Oh, enjoy it now! It goes so fast!" Usually when I heard that, my hair was falling out of it's hastily made ponytail, and my eyes were bleary from lack of sleep. But wow. It's gone so fast. And good, bad, and ugly--I wouldn't take a moment back. It's my story.
19 comments:
God bless you sweetly today. Happy Mothers Day. I love you.
I loved your story! You are an amazing woman!
Happy Mother's Day!
xoxoxo
Soli deo gloria. This stirs me deeeply. And makes me so proud to know you.
But I'm coming to grips with the fact that I can only do what I can do, and the rest is up to them. And God's grace and mercy, as well. That was my favorite part of what you sad. Such a reminder that this mothering thing is not solely up to me. God has a watchful, care-full eye on my children as well.
Blessings to you today! And Happy Mother's Day!
This is one of THE best posts I've ever read of yours...
I loved reading something written by someone else who lived w/ people who were self destructive...so much of my life is molded by my mother during those years.
I laughed, got teary and left feeling very proud to be a mother and just as proud to be your friend.
Your post was beautiful. Thanks for sharing another piece of your story.
Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!
Wow. This post touched me deeply on a lot of levels. I second Mer's comments; but two additional parts resonated...
"My mom had a lot of problems. Goodness, mercy a. l.o.t. of problems. And I often think that God released her from her work here so He could care for her..."
and, "I thought, in all my 20-something wisdom, that I'd feel sad, but relieved. I was right. However, I don't think I counted on the depth of either of those emotions."
Mine was mostly later teenage-something wisdom; but...it is like you were in my head.
Some Mother's Days I am able to fondly miss my mom and just enjoy my children and family. Others it impacts me to tears even still.
Our mother's lives most definitely impacted our own and helped to shape who we are today. There were moments when I wanted to be a completely separate entity; not allowing the influence - but I've come to embrace the gift and beauty of all that she was and that she wasn't. As Beth Moore says, "You cannot separate your history from your destiny..." Amen and Amen to God's grace and mercy.
Much love sweet friend. Happy Mother's Day!
Loved this. You write with meaning, humor and depth.
BTW, I also grew up hearing "crooked as a dogs hind leg". Mostly in reference to the part in my hair as my mom would be braiding it:)
What a beautiful post. You write with such candor.
In regards to #1: you must be looking into my house right now!
Love you!
xoxo
Awesome, Gretchen. Thank you. And Happy Mother's Day.
What a great list. It is funny how moments in our lives seem to impact us, stay with us and become a part of who we are.
Beautiful tribute to your mom! Ruth Graham Bell said, “As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible and trust God with the impossible.” I try to remember it.
Beautiful story. Happy Mother's Day.
What a beautiful post. Thank you for being so honest and open. I look forward to finding out more about your story!
So honest. So wise.
Wow, friend.
You're the real deal.
Gretchen,
My heart is smiling. Because your story is so compelling. And honest. And real. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself and your history with us.
I heart you,
Amber
Gretchen - can you tell just how much we love you? And your honesty? This was amazing.
I hope your Mother's Day was incredible.
It made me smile to picture your mom with headphones, belting out Lukenbach, Texas in her bedroom. :-)
This is such an open and honest post, Gretchen. I really admire the way you've accepted that parents are rarely perfect but we can still reach the point in our lives where we offer them grace and love them anyway. After all, our own children will probably have to do the same thing someday. xoxoxo
Wow...you are an amazing woman Gretchen. I am so proud to know you. Bless you.
Love,
Sue
Post a Comment