I am joining Amber and Melissa in a Bible Study called Seeking Him--Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival. For the next 12 weeks, I hope to post on Tue as if in "discussion". Feel free to join in, or not and comment, or not. :)Here are the questions we'll be discussing for Week #1.
~Before beginning this study, what did you think "revival" was? Has your view changed? How?
I pictured tent-style revivals with a bunch of bible thumpers. Something which would honestly make me turn tail and run. And in my mind, those tent revivals had nothing to do with the already saved, but were all about bringing new folks to Jesus. But I had a niggling in my mind that "revival" didn't have to mean that. Of course my view has changed. I realize that revival is a bigger word than for what I had given it credit. The authors note that in order to be revived, one must already be born again, which made sense to me. It fits where I'm at right now: a sinner, saved by grace. In need of a reminder of God's great love for me, and in need of refocusing on the race which he has provided for me to run.
~What things do you tend to hold on to for security, even though they could easily be taken away?
I hold fast to my husband and family. To my "rights" and "privileges". To anything which has the stamp of pride, including, but not limited to "I'm right."upon it. I don't try to do this, but do it all the same.
~What does the idea that God initiates revival in His people tell you about Him? What does it tell you about yourself?
This idea tells me that God a) made us to need Him., b) knows that we will fall away from Him, even if we love Him, because of our sinful natures, and c) knows that when we're done fighting ourselves, we'll indeed need His revival of strength, courage, and grace in order to return to Him. Further, it tells me that no matter how far I've strayed, He wants me back, and wants me to abide in Him.
I tend to depend on my own devices far more than I should. I love God, but do not seek Him before all else. In short, I'm in need of His glorious revival.

11 comments:
Awesome, heart honest answers my friend, love you.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing your study with us. Love your answers.
I have been to a few tent revivals when I was a kid. I remember the joy and excitement on everyone's face. Like christmas almost. It took me years to realize why. They needed a little renewal/revival in their lives. They couldn't wait to open their gifts from God and be revived. And if they happened to get a friend saved at the same time, then all the better! Good memories of my grandparents go hear. thanks!
I wanted to do this study but this just wasn't the time. Now I feel like I can at least benefit a little from your experience and glean from your knowledge. Thanks!
I love the picture of how HE brings revival - I can't do it myself - I need to ask Him for an infusion of His love in my life.
Thanks for my devotional this morning.
Denise: you are such an encourager.
Mich: Thank you for noting a positive memory for revival, too. My friend who went to many as a child felt dragged along and grumpy. Nice to know, under God's good circumstances, that He shows up and blesses folks' socks off.
Snoodle: Glean away... ;)
CPQ: You're welcome. You've certainly provided mine a time or 2.
It's so true, to seek Him above all else is key. It makes me think of when I (personally) came to Him broken and in need I was desperate, crying out for Him alone, He was all I sought, but as I walk along the path of grace, I forget where it started and suddenly become lost in my self-sufficiency, and I truly do LOSE so much in that place, like intimacy and God's presence, just to name a couple. I pray He revives in me the knowledge of my desperate need for Him, as such a sinner, saved by grace alone.
So glad you're joining us! I tend to hold on to my hubby, too...which doesn't make me the adoring wife as much as the clingy/needy one. OUCH!
This study sounded so great. If I weren't already mid stream in a Beth Moore study, I'd be joining in. Instead I'll take a "Ruth" position and glean along behind with Snoodle...
May the tent of revival bring you hope and joy-
Ooooohhh...good stuff, Jewels.
Thanks for sharing your answers to really good questions. Definitely will make you stop and think.
Heartin' ya.
holding on to being right?
so glad you went THERE.
Thank you for sharing this with us Gretchen...I never fail to leave here without learning something!
Love,
Sue
Post a Comment